What's new

ASUS AX86U still a good deal?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Steve40th

Regular Contributor
I have a 8K tv Sony Master 65 inch 2 years old, I do Skype, video upload and download ( for teaching, tutoring) and need a router that can support this. The TV is in another room away about 50 feet away, same floor from the xfinity connection/tower, and the house is a basic drywall ,. Is this router capable for this? Or will the standard Xfinity tower they use in a home be suffice.? Is there a newer model? Recommended?
I am in South Carolina, and Xfinity has this coming. 800Mbps download advertised.

The information we know today is that the RT-AX86U is not scheduled to get 3.0.0.6.xxx level firmware. The hardware is more than capable of the speeds and use you indicate, but it will more than likely be supported for far less than the GT-AX6000 and the RT-AX88U Pro. Even if support is as long, it may never get the newer firmware's features and options if it stays on 3.0.0.4.xxx level firmware as is known today.

For the longest support, the RT-AX88U Pro is what I would be considering today.

Okay, last question. I have a Arris SB 6183, is it suffice or do I need to upgrade that too.. Trying to future proof for a while.

I don't believe that model will be sufficient for speeds above ~600Mbps (if I recall correctly).

You may want to consider upgrading when the expected ~800Mbps speeds are available (and installed at your location).

But better hardware may be provided to you at that time (to enable the provider to fulfill their end of the new contract speeds).

Okay, last question. I have a Arris SB 6183, is it suffice or do I need to upgrade that too.. Trying to future proof for a while.
I think the SB6183 is a Docsis 3.0 modem... I upgraded to the SB8200 and when my ISP finally turned on Docsis 3.1 I noticed better consistency in my speeds. If I were getting a modem today I would spring for Arris S33 ...2.5 Gbit port.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!