What's new

[RT-AC68U] Can't connect to certain websites (USB 4G Dongle)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Keeping in mind that most 4G connections are PPP, try dropping the MTU to around 1492 from 1500..
I followed this guide and the value I got was 1500, isn't that right?

However, the firmware version I'm using does not expose the MTU setting. Should I just change them with nvram set? Which values, here's my current settings:

Code:
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# nvram show | grep mtu
pptpd_mtu=1450
wan1_pppoe_mtu=1492
wan_pppoe_mtu=1492
wan0_mtu=1500
ipv6_tun_mtu=0
wan0_pppoe_mtu=1492
size: 48117 bytes (17419 left)
wan_mtu=1500
wan1_mtu=1500

Should I just change all of them from 1500 to 1492? Followed by nvram commit? Do I need a reboot?

For the record, I'm having this issue with various websites, mostly with HTTPS connections. HTTP ones work just fine.

A curious thing though is that I can't open Asuswrt-Merlin website with any browser (whereas I can open some HTTPS sites with IE, but not with Firefox/Chrome).

For the record, I'm now using AdvancedTomato (it's just Tomato by Shibby but with a modern good looking GUI) and the setup of my 4G USB modem was painless. Everything I had previously configured through scripts and/or NVRAM tweaks (4G connection and custom DNS servers, mostly) are now completely done on the GUI and everything works :)

Thank you for the follow up !
Well so we know that it is not a hardware related problem. On my side, I tried the Huwaei USB dongle on a RT-N66U that was still sitting around running with the padavan firmware (https://bitbucket.org/padavan/rt-n56u), and all is fine... I will try to install AdvancedTomato as per your suggestion.

Thanks !

Thank you for the follow up !
Well so we know that it is not a hardware related problem. On my side, I tried the Huwaei USB dongle on a RT-N66U that was still sitting around running with the padavan firmware (https://bitbucket.org/padavan/rt-n56u), and all is fine... I will try to install AdvancedTomato as per your suggestion.

Thanks !
Well, it doesn't really solve the issue I described on this post. My previous post might have been a bit misleading... What I meant was that configuring the dongle was no much easier and quick with AdvancedTomato (or Tomato by Shibby if you prefer). I just plugged it in, configured a 4G connection under basic network configuration and it was done. However, I still have issues loading certain websites, it's random though, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Plugging the dongle to my laptop, I have no such issues. There must be some incompatibility either with the router itself or some misconfiguration. But I have no knowledge to fix this myself.

Having issues here also. N66U with E3272 4G USB modem. Firmware Asus Merlin 380.57.0
For me my Internet connection drops out and I have to restart router for everything to work again. I've set sys log to highest level and nothings get's logged when connection drops.
Does any one know which firmware version works best with these modems?

so far I have tried Asus Merlin and DD-WRT. Same issue on both.

Hi there,

I have an ASUS AC68U and I'm running Merlin's firmware version 374.43_2. Unfortunately I cannot upgrade to the latest version because my Internet connection comes from a USB 4G Dongle (which does not work with the latest firmware).

My problem is that I connect to certain websites. Occasionally, other websites take a while longer to connect (like google.com), but there's on particular website (www.fastnewsforum.net) which I can't get to connect. No matter what I do, it just won't connect.

I tried this on my laptop (wireless) and on my fixed PC (wired), both connected to the AC68U. With Firefox/Chrome it didn't work, the website just won't load (on Chrome it eventually times out, on Firefox, it keeps loading indefinitely). Surprisingly it loads on Internet Explorer (on both machines, wireless and wired).

Attempting to debug the issue, I took the USB 4G Dongle out of the router and connected directly to the laptop which is the one with the proper software required to connect the dongle to the Internet. It worked, I could open www.fastnewsforum.net with the dongle directly plugged on the laptop.

My conclusion is that the problem must be on the AC68U, not sure exactly what, maybe a configuration issue? Does anyone have any idea on what could be the issue?

did you manage to solve the problem? i have rt-87u and huawei E3372 and have same problem... some pages open fast, some wait for 30 sec, steaming music works for 2 min then stops...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!