What's new

RT-AC68U Dropping Wireless Cameras Off Of Network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gooch4130

Occasional Visitor
Not sure if anyone has experienced this before, but every 3-5 days, this router drops my 3 wireless IP cameras off of the network. I have (2) TrendNET TV-IP862IC cameras and one DLink Baby camera. All three are wireless-G cameras. My wireless AC yoga pro does not experience any drops. I do not have any other wireless 'g' devices in the house long enough to confirm whether or not those would be affected as well (ie cell phones/wife's laptop go to work every day).

Prior to owning the RT-AC68U, I had an ASUS RT-AC87U (in fact went through 3 all with the same issue). I RMA'd the router three times prior to demanding a replacement. ASUS refused to provide me with an upgraded router, and instead sent the RT-AC68U, which is what I have currently. Unfortunately, this router has the exact same issue (cameras dropping off after 3-5 days - or sooner). Prior to upgrading to an AC router, I owned an ASUS-N56U for 3 years. Never once did any of my cameras drop off the network. While waiting on the three separate RMAs for the RT-AC87U, I went back to using the N56U router for 2-3 weeks at a time; no disconnects. Runs perfectly. This narrows the problem to ASUS' new AC routers. The work around is to reboot the router. Cameras immediately are back online/pingable. I did discover tonight, that I simply have to make some type of wireless change, to 'restart' the wireless (?) and that fixes the issue as well, much less disruptive than a full reboot.

Given the above, the symptoms really seem to point to a memory leak. I have tried to statically set the camera IPs and do have a manual DHCP assignment for all three cameras. They also have port-forwarding enable for external access. I am on the latest FW release as of 9/30/2015 (3.0.0.4.378_9135). My setup at home is relatively basic. I do not use WEP or WPA; just MAC Address filtering. I have a number of DHCP assignments configured in addition to some port forwarding. I am very technical (worked in support for 15 years at IBM and am now at a startup in support). I have my RHCSA, VCP, etc. I am very familiar with networking, etc. I feel it's unreasonable to have to reboot the router each time this happens and am hoping someone on this forum can shed some light on this issue. ASUS refuses to do any type of troubleshooting. Their solution is to have me reset the router, re-flash FW, or reboot. I would expect them to either ask for a wireshark packet capture, or have some script to install on the router to monitor memory usage, or attempt their own recreate. It's very reproducable. Their support has proven useless and is by far the worst support I've ever had to deal with. If I cannot fix this issue, I may switch to Netgear or some other brand that does not have the number of issues ASUS products seem to have as of late (read newegg/amazon reviews). I've contemplated installing DD-WRT, but have used and like ASUS' management interface.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am happy to collect data as needed. If anyone knows a way to add a cron job that will simulate just 'restarting' wireless and not an entire reboot, that would be an acceptable solution (I can set up the cronjob for a nightly restart, but do not want to do that). As an example, rather than a full reboot, unchecking the 'b/g protection' and clicking apply fixes the issue (ie the cameras come back up from the router's perspective). This is much less disruptive than a full router reboot. Let me know if there is any additional data I can provide. Thank you in advance for reading this post.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!