What's new

RT-AC68u Firmware prior or ASUS lowering power

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vifa84

New Around Here
I read somewhere that ASUS lowered power for their routers due to a suit by netgear. Can someone tell me which firmware begins this power reduction? or if the merlin versions bypass this feature?
Thanks

I read somewhere that ASUS lowered power for their routers due to a suit by netgear. Can someone tell me which firmware begins this power reduction?
Hi,

You can go with John's fork to not have the actual restrictions in WLAN power - as Asus has the legal obligation to lock down the routers, newer version will always be more tight. ;)

My setup (see footer below) overcomes the limitations and I can always go with the latest firmware! :rolleyes:

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Last edited:
Ok, I downloaded the latest file that was available and loaded through firmware update and the 5ghz was worse than before? I manually turned the unit off and then back on but didn't do a "factory reset"? Am I supposed to hold a reset button down for the reset? and does this keep the same firmware after it's performed? I didn't see anything in the txt files except to perform one if the firmware was before a certain version?

The RT-AC68U never got any power reduction. The initial issue (and lawsuit) involved the RT-N66U, and possibly the RT-AC66U. The RT-AC68U was released about a year later.

The RT-AC68U never got any power reduction. The initial issue (and lawsuit) involved the RT-N66U, and possibly the RT-AC66U. The RT-AC68U was released about a year later.

I would like this clarified since I believe that your statement could be interpreted as the RT-AC68 retained its high power output.

I believe that you are actually stating that the RT-AC68 and all subsequent Asus routers had a lower WiFi power output than the RT-N66 and RT-AC66 routers from time it was sold to the general public.

Which is correct?

In my experience with the RT-N66, RT-AC66, RT-AC68, and RT-AC87 routers using Johns Fork, Merlins FW, and HGGomes Fork FW's, that the RT-AC66 has the highest measured WiFi radio output signal strength on both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands for the same power setting in the FW that I have found.

Over time, I have purchased and tested more than 6 different routers each of the RT-N66, RT-AC66, and RT-AC68 routers (I have only tested two of the RT-AC87 routers). I found significant variation in performance between routers of the same model but, on average, I still like the RT-AC66 for WiFi signal strength performance in the environments I put them (Home, Residential Multi-Family, Small Office, Light Manufacturing).

Both statements are correct, and don't contradict one another. The RT-N66 launched with power output that exceeded legal limitations, and was subsequently reduced. The RT-AC 68 was already within legal limitations at its launch.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!