What's new

RT-AC68U high reported temps

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DallasFlier

Occasional Visitor
My router temperatures, particularly the CPU, seem to me to be abmormally high, as reported by the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware.

2.4 GHz: 52°C - 5 GHz: 56°C - CPU: 74°C

Are these normal? I know if I was seeing CPU temps like that on my computer, I'd be quite worried!

EDIT: Sorry, had done a quick search before posting - just finished a more in-depth search and found other notations that these temps are "normal."

Still seems hot to me, but I guess hot is "normal" for these routers! :eek:

Last edited:
Mine RT-AC87U shows this:

2.4 GHz: 50°C - 5 GHz: 69°C - CPU: 83°C <- Hot =)

at 22°C room temperature. 5 IP cams at 1080p resolution continuously streaming to a couple of Raspberry's

Under light load, my AC68U shows:

2.4 GHz: 50°C - 5 GHz: 51°C - CPU: 75°C

I recommend the Arctic breeze mobile usb fan as my ac68u's temps are now between 63C (night) and 66C (day)... cpu oc'd to 1.2GHz and mem oc'd to 800MHz.

Current temps (Ambient 25C):
2.4 GHz: 46°C - 5 GHz: 49°C - CPU: 65°C

Attachments

• 31csx21PzEL.jpg
    31csx21PzEL.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 591
2.4 GHz: 56°C - 5 GHz: 54°C - CPU: 89°C
Ambient temperature: HK 31C
once P2P my AC68U stop response within a few minutes... now going to buy a fan and put at behind of the router...

during HK winter the CPU temp was just 70-75c and run normally even heavily P2P connections (my internet speed is 500Mbps fibre and was running fine)

I think for Asus Router, better keep CPU temp under 80c

2.4 GHz: 56°C - 5 GHz: 54°C - CPU: 89°C
Ambient temperature: HK 31C
once P2P my AC68U stop response within a few minutes... now going to buy a fan and put at behind of the router...

during HK winter the CPU temp was just 70-75c and run normally even heavily P2P connections (my internet speed is 500Mbps fibre and was running fine)

I think for Asus Router, better keep CPU temp under 80c

On mines I use a bungie cord to hold 2x large USB-powered fans to the back of the unit. RT-AC68U overclocked to 1200MHz. CPU temp is 52C. Ambient 21C.

My router temperatures, particularly the CPU, seem to me to be abmormally high, as reported by the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware.

2.4 GHz: 52°C - 5 GHz: 56°C - CPU: 74°C

Are these normal? I know if I was seeing CPU temps like that on my computer, I'd be quite worried!

EDIT: Sorry, had done a quick search before posting - just finished a more in-depth search and found other notations that these temps are "normal."

Still seems hot to me, but I guess hot is "normal" for these routers! :eek:

2.4 GHz: 47°C - 5 GHz: disabled - CPU: 71°C

Your temps are normal

On mines I use a bungie cord to hold 2x large USB-powered fans to the back of the unit. RT-AC68U overclocked to 1200MHz. CPU temp is 52C. Ambient 21C.
Thats some good temperatures. When i overclocked mine to 1400Mhz with a fan at the back the max temperature was 71C after some full CPU load.

You necro'd a 2 year old thread...

Eww fan noise. Mines been running hot for 2 years, no issues.

Silences is a bliss. Id rather replace it if it breaks. The prices are a lot cheaper now for these old models.