What's new

RT-AC68U - Mount USB HD folder on a fedora headless box

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cliver

Regular Contributor
Hi all,

I'm running latest Rmerlin on RT-AC68U with a 3TB USB HD attached and working.
I now want to mount a /Media folder on the USB drive on a headless Vortexbox server running Fedora on which I have a web gui and SSH access. The reason is to access video media on it and serve it out with Plex.
Anyway, I have everything set up but I can't get the mount to work.
I have googled loads and followed several threads but to no avail.
I know this is a fedora problem but I'm asking here to see if anyone had done similar or knows how to achieve the permanent mount that I need.
I'm not very familiar with fedora as I only have the one box running it and to date it's been pretty much plug and play. I do have a limited understanding of linux in general though.
Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Update: I have a command I'm trying to get working in my /etc/fstab file.
It takes the form
"//myserver/myshare /home/mysharedspot cifs username=domain_user,password=usr_password,dir_mode=0777,file_mode=0777 0 0"

I seem to be getting the network name of the router wrong in \\myserver\myshare
I'm using "//<ip.address.of.router>/fileserver1/Media"
Where filerserver1 is how the usb is identified on the network and Media is the folder on the drive I want to mount to.
Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong please?
If it helps this is how it appears in the samba tab in the gui (see attavhed file)

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 363
Last edited:
Think I'm getting a little closer.
The line I have in my etc/fstab file is now..
Code:
//10.101.202.1/mnt/fileserver1/Media /mnt/media cifs username=Administrator,password=38olssal,dir_mode=0777,file_mode=0777 0 0

This returns the error "mount: //10.101.202.1/mnt/fileserver1/Media is not a valid block device"

So, is my path to the directory on the router correct? i.e. //IP/mnt/fileserver1/Media?
if not how should I amend it?
If it is correct I guess my parameters are wrong??
Any help appreciated.

What the Wiki article posts is the command line, not the fstab entry. You will have to read up the fstab documentation to determine the proper argument order.

Ah right thanks, I'll try running it from command line to get it working then look at fstab.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

What the Wiki article posts is the command line, not the fstab entry. You will have to read up the fstab documentation to determine the proper argument order.
I'm still having trouble getting the share path right.
When I try it from the command line running $mount "text from your wiki" I get the following error..
Code:
mount: \\10.101.202.1\tmp\mnt\fileserver1\Media is not a valid block device
How do I find the correct path to my share on the router?

I'm really struggling to get my mind around this now.
On the router if I run
Code:
ls tmp/mnt/fileserver1/Media
I get access to the folders I am trying to mount on the fedora box

So Why if I run the following on the Fedora Box
Code:
# mount \\\\10.101.202.1\\tmp\\mnt\\fileserver1\\Media /mnt/media -t cifs -o "username=*****,password=*****"
Do I get the error
Code:
mount: \\10.101.202.1\tmp\mnt\fileserver1\Media is not a valid block device

If I use the network name of the router..
Code:
 mount \\\\RT-AC68U-0CF8\\tmp\\mnt\\fileserver1\\Media /mnt/media -t cifs -o "username=******,password=*****"
I get
Code:
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on \\RT-AC68U-0CF8\tmp\mnt\fileserver1\Media,
       missing codepage or helper program, or other error
       (for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might
       need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program)

In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
       dmesg | tail or so.
a different error although it is, in theory, pointing to exactly the same place.
I'm thinking it must be in the path definition but could it be something further along the command line reflecting back as it were?
My mind is blown now so any help appreciated.

Last edited:
Finally got to the bottom of this. So here's my solution for anyone wanting to do similar..
1. I had to install cifs-utils which wasn't there by default on my system so check yours.
It's amazing what happens when you install the right software :oops:.
2. When I ran "smbclient -L myservername" I got "Media (at fileserver1)" for the share name I was after.
As it contains spaces I had to use the escape code \040 for the spaces.
So my fstab line now looks like this
Code:
//xxx.yyy.zzz.aaa/Media\040(at\040fileserver1) /mnt/media cifs username=*****,password=*****
My Plex server on the vortexbox is now happily updating my library from the drive on the router.
Thanks for the help RMerlin :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!