What's new

RTAC68U with Merlin & privacy vpn

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

4d1208

New Around Here

Hi guys,

have just installed merlin 386.12.4, first time merlin install, long time asus ai mesh stock fw user. main reason for moving to merlin was the dual outbound interface with the ISP WAN interface and a privacy OVPN interface. since i enabled VPN director for 4 hosts on the LAN, Internet has gotten really really slow. would like to know if i'm better off doing either of the following options:

1. using a intel nuc for pfsesne to handle the fw/vpn/routing overhead and using the rtac68u for the wireless service in the house with another rt86u as an ai mesh ap. this requires a lot of home network redesign and config (kids and a wife to keep me on me toes not much time to delve into it)
or
2. look for a more beefier asus rt compatible with the rtac68u as an ai mesh node which will be more costly but more convenient.
or
3. another suggestion

cheers everyone.

My two cents, and there are a lot of smarter people who can give you better advice likely, but for what it's worth anyway.

If you keep what you have, make the AC86U you main and the AC68U your node. I've always had better luck with AI mesh using the more powerful router as the main. But honestly I would either get rid of the AC68U, or go buy one of the variants of the AX86 (since you seem to like that form factor like I do) then make your AC86U and AC68U your AI mesh nodes.

apologies., typo in my initial statement both are rtac68u's. finding a real lag, and am wondering if they can handle the encryption overhead of the privacy vpn. wondering if anyone has had any similar issues and what they did to resolve. have thought about more from the cost perspective of migrating routing/vpn/firewalling to PFsense and making asus a solely wireless solution, but not sure what features i would lose. unfortunately don't get the time to make it a project either due to family commitments.

RT-AC68U can do about 40Mbps on OpenVPN. You also don't get much privacy with commercial VPNs.

Both, hardware limitation. This router is >10 years old hardware.

One of the many threads about commercial VPN services, may find it interesting:

okay, i'll give the pfsense doing the routing/firewalling/vpn - ing a go, just have to break it to the family... dad is breaking the internet! :oops:😂 might get clearance for an overnight migration.

okay, i'll give the pfsense doing the routing/firewalling/vpn - ing a go, just have to break it to the family... dad is breaking the internet! :oops:😂 might get clearance for an overnight migration.
😂🤣😂 100% I feel your pain! Delivering this message goes over worse than going to the doctor. I often have to time my change windows with my wife going out of town!

i'll give the pfsense doing the routing/firewalling/vpn - ing a go

Careful with your router in AP Mode. Guest Network option has no separation from the main network.

Hi guys,

have just installed merlin 386.12.4, first time merlin install, long time asus ai mesh stock fw user. main reason for moving to merlin was the dual outbound interface with the ISP WAN interface and a privacy OVPN interface. since i enabled VPN director for 4 hosts on the LAN, Internet has gotten really really slow. would like to know if i'm better off doing either of the following options:

1. using a intel nuc for pfsesne to handle the fw/vpn/routing overhead and using the rtac68u for the wireless service in the house with another rt86u as an ai mesh ap. this requires a lot of home network redesign and config (kids and a wife to keep me on me toes not much time to delve into it)
or
2. look for a more beefier asus rt compatible with the rtac68u as an ai mesh node which will be more costly but more convenient.
or
3. another suggestion

cheers everyone.
If you are running Merlin, please post your questions in the Asuswrt-Merlin area!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!