What's new

RT-AC68U temperatures

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

replacements running at 67 degrees C instead of 92, happy now!

67c is excellent mine usually runs around 78c but right now it's at 84c because it's warm in here 82f in the house. Guess it time to fire up the A/C.

67c is excellent mine usually runs around 78c but right now it's at 84c because it's warm in here 82f in the house. Guess it time to fire up the A/C.

up to 75 now its come up to temp, 2nd ones 77 so all good! :cool:

hm... eversince i got my RT-AC68U and installed the merlin firmware i had a temperature of over 100°C for the CPU...

Clipboard.jpg

i didnt like it that much so i got creative and used some fans i didnt need. but its been like this for 2 weeks or more and the temperature even went up (the radios stayed at ~50°C all the time)

IMAG1274_2.jpg

so you guys would RMA it? thats annoying... how long does it take in general?

or any other suggestions?

hm... eversince i got my RT-AC68U and installed the merlin firmware i had a temperature of over 100°C for the CPU...

i didnt like it that much so i got creative and used some fans i didnt need. but its been like this for 2 weeks or more and the temperature even went up (the radios stayed at ~50°C all the time)

Since the cpu temp is assumed (do a search) to be safe to 130C, I would not RMA it.

Also; you have the fans wrong - attach them so they blow directly into the RT-AC68U if you want to actually affect it's temps.

I think the hottest my 68U ever got was 85 C that said what is the temp in the room your router is located ? 112 seems very hot Merlin said low 90's would be ok but 112 wow !!

Since the cpu temp is assumed (do a search) to be safe to 130C, I would not RMA it.

Also; you have the fans wrong - attach them so they blow directly into the RT-AC68U if you want to actually affect it's temps.

i do know that the fans are suboptimal... but hey, there were no fans at all so the temperature should decrease and not increase

also i found it quite hard to find some specs about the temperature limits of this chip and on arm chips in general...
thats why i wanted to ask here. i dont have a clue what might be wrong or even if something is wrong at all

This is definitely abnormal, and I would consider getting it replaced. Could be an improperly installed heatsink or missing thermal pad perhaps.

I have actually used a two pin powered fan to cool down my ASUS RT-AC68U Router.

Without Active Cooling: 2.4GHz: 57C - 5.GHz: 59C - CPU: 94C
With Active Cooling (and CPU OC to 1.2GHz): 2.4GHz: 49C - 5GHz: 52C - CPU: 76C.

I was hoping to at least overclock the CPU beyond 1.2GHz, but wasn't sure would it work, so I have not tried. Would change to a bigger fan if I could sell my AC66U.

photo.php

Peter
RT-AC66U | RT-AC68U | PCE-AC68

Last edited:
I was surprised that temperatures could drop so much just by placing a fan on the back. This was just a test to see if the heat sink/thermal pads would easily carry away heat. I plan to make a usb powered fan, with dust filter in a 3d printed case to attach to the back. The test fan in the picture is a 120mm fan, with and ambient room temp of 79F or 26C

ActiveCooling01a.jpg
ActiveCooling01.jpg

Last edited:
My 68P stays at a constant 77C. I've never seen it go higher than that. I do keep my AC on 72F constantly.

for me it's a joke.....cooling pad for routers....

The stock heatsink is awesome. When I say "cooling pad" I'm guessing they didn't use TIM and went for the easiest assembly option. I haven't tore one down, as it's not necessary. The heatsink does a fantastic job.

Clipboard.jpg

IMAG1274_2.jpg

Nice set up getting it high off the floor. Is that centered in your home or apartment?

I have an RT-AC68W that has never run less than 85C at the coolest. In comparison, my RT-AC66's never run hotter than 57C with the same power settings for the radios and the same traffic loading.

I have had the RT-AC68W drop network connections a few times where the AC-66's never experience a blip. They just keep working. I am running the same version of the Asus-Merlin Fork firmware on all my routers.

Since I don't see any improvement in the routing performance (wired or wireless) over the RT-AC66's in my testing, I put the RT-AC68 back in the box and it is now a back-up router that I paid a lot more for.

I will stick with the RT-AC66 routers I have until they die or become a significant bottleneck for performance. I just don't trust the RT-AC68 to be reliable when I need it.

Mine was constantly crashing, so I cut a square hole in the back of the router, put a 80mm 5v CoolerMaster USB fan in the back with zip ties, stays around 45c now and not had a crash since (been months now).

I was surprised that temperatures could drop so much just by placing a fan on the back. This was just a test to see if the heat sink/thermal pads would easily carry away heat. I plan to make a usb powered fan, with dust filter in a 3d printed case to attach to the back. The test fan in the picture is a 120mm fan, with and ambient room temp of 79F or 26C
Nice drop in temps. I'm looking at the router but been reading so much about temp issues that I've been put off.

Got that blowing into the case, or sucking air out of it?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!