What's new

RT-AC68U Wireless Client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gatorback

Regular Contributor
I wanted to provide limited internet access to the neighbor. My RT-AC68U has Merlin's firmware and the neighbor's RT-AC68U is configured as a client to a guest SSID, so that they are separated from my LAN. I am unable to SSH to the WAN side of the neighbor's RT-AC68U (I wanted to have the ability to add MAC addresses in the future).

For some reason, I thought that I would be able to SSH into the remote RT-AC68U, however, I guess that separation cuts both ways? Even though they are on the same subnet, devices on the guest SSID are not supposed to be accessible from the non-guest LAN? or is there a fix / better method? Thank you for considering this challenge.

I wanted to provide limited internet access to the neighbor.

Probably shouldn't do this - even though it's being a "good neighbor", anything that they do on the internet, you're the first person that folks are going to be interested if things go wrong with them - Guest Network or not...

That being said - provide a guest network to them without any WPA/WPA2/WEP - plausible deniability, and they can always bridge on your guest network..

How much do your trust your neighbor? There actions will be on your account...

Thank you for considering the important social (non-technical) aspects of networking. I am aware that I would be the first point of contact for issues.

I would like to be able to SSH into the remote device, but would like to keep remote users from my LAN. I believe this is possible, however, maybe this has not been implemented?