What's new

[RT-AC87] Slower speeds through router and IPv4/IPv6

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mikec8785

New Around Here
OK, just to start off this is my first post and I'm not super tech-literate although I know enough to get in trouble.

I just recently purchased the RT-AC87 and set it up with my Motorola SB6120 router with Comcast 105 Mbps internet. When I connect directly to the modem I get speeds approaching 100 Mbps, however when I then connect the modem to the router and hardwire my laptop to the router then run the same test I consistently get 30-40 Mbps less. What would be the reason for this? I turned off QoS and App Analysis.

Also, when working with Comcast support they had me use their own speedtest website that was something like comcast.speedtest.net. Using this site, when I was connected directly to the modem the test would run twice and provide results for IPv4 and IPv6. However, when I connect through the router and run that test I only get results for IPv4. Is there a reason for this? Could it be the reason why I'm seeing lower speeds through the router?

Thanks for any thoughts or help.

Also, somewhat related, but when I had QoS enabled I only got 5/5 down/up on the speed tests. I had to turn off QoS to get maximum speeds. Is there something wrong with my setup for QoS?

Edit: I went through settings and found that I did not have IPv6 enabled on the router. After setting that up the Comcast speed test then showed results for both IPv4 and IPv6 like when I was connected directly to the modem. However, I'm still showing slower speeds through the router.

Last edited:
Are you using Comcast's DNS or third party (OpenDNS/Google/Neustar/etc...).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!