What's new

AC68U vs N66U - 1GB/s speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Larceny

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I'm currently using an RT-N66U in combination with a 1 gigabit subscription, but the download speed does not really exceed 830/840 Mbps, while the upload speed always reaches 940 Mbps.

Can the RT-AC68U achieve 1 gigabit speeds (940/940 Mbps up and down) without any problems?

Thanks.

RT-AC68U is a 2013 model router facing End-Of-Life. It will reach 940Mbps to wired clients in basic configuration (no TrendMicro components and NAT acceleration enabled), but you don't want 10+ years old router in 2024. This very same router currently has some firmware issues and Asus is making last attempts to fix it before it ends on the End-Of-Life list. Better look for something else with more modern hardware.

Thanks for the quick reply.
The reason I am interested in an RT-AC68U is that they are super cheap on the second-hand market. Prices between 20 and 30 euros.
I wouldn't say no to a switch from the n66u to the ac68u in exchange for a stable 1 gigabit (up/down) speed for less than 30 euros.
But if you have a recommendation for a more up to date router for a reasonable price, then I'm all ears.

Last edited:
They are cheap for a reason. On a super tight budget I would get something like TP-Link Archer AX10. I see it for €55 on Amazon Germany. It's an entry-level router, but will do Gigabit wired and will be a significant upgrade on wireless compared to your RT-N66U. Your wireless devices will be happier with AC Wave 2 + AX. You can actually get up to about 800Mbps on wireless to 2-stream AX client. Not the best router you can get, but good for €55.

1702336302922.png

The cheapest Asus router I see is TUF Gaming AX3000 V2 for about €90. Also not the best model, but an option if you prefer Asus.

1702336586358.png

Last edited:
Wow, okay...

1702339864086.png

Brand name and a model with not bad reviews.

I'm impressed by the price and the features listed, but totally blown away by the fact this router has 273 pages User Manual.

Amazon USA price:

1702343486203.png

Not sure TP-Link Archer AX10 is a better router. Definitely budget category, but... look at the firmware features.

@Tech9 do you know of decent modern low-end router HW that will run open firmware like OpenWRT / DD-WRT? It's been nearly a decade since I was in a position to do this so am out of the loop.

See Netgear WAX202 or WAX206.

Hi,

I'm currently using an RT-N66U in combination with a 1 gigabit subscription, but the download speed does not really exceed 830/840 Mbps, while the upload speed always reaches 940 Mbps.

Can the RT-AC68U achieve 1 gigabit speeds (940/940 Mbps up and down) without any problems?

Thanks.
Just a tip. You could try and see if different firmware versions give better speeds.

Including the fabled [Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374 LTS, which is probably your best bet (sadly no longer maintained, tho, but more recent than the latest official firmware. Make sure to notice there is a late beta release.a bit more recent than the latest final release, too.)

They are cheap for a reason. On a super tight budget I would get something like TP-Link Archer AX10. I see it for €55 on Amazon Germany. It's an entry-level router, but will do Gigabit wired and will be a significant upgrade on wireless compared to your RT-N66U. Your wireless devices will be happier with AC Wave 2 + AX. You can actually get up to about 800Mbps on wireless to 2-stream AX client. Not the best router you can get, but good for €55.

View attachment 54796

The cheapest Asus router I see is TUF Gaming AX3000 V2 for about €90. Also not the best model, but an option if you prefer Asus.

View attachment 54799
Thank you for the suggestions.
Because of all you're recommendations I've been looking online to see what is currently 'popular' in combination with a reasonable price and so I ended up with the TP-Link Archer AX55 and the ASUS RT-AX53U. What are your thoughts on both of them?

Just a tip. You could try and see if different firmware versions give better speeds.

Including the fabled [Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374 LTS, which is probably your best bet (sadly no longer maintained, tho, but more recent than the latest official firmware. Make sure to notice there is a late beta release.a bit more recent than the latest final release, too.)
Thanks for the tip, but I'm already using the latest firmware from John's Fork of Merlin - 374.43_53D7j9527.

Last edited:
the TP-Link Archer AX55 and the ASUS RT-AX53U

Between the two I would pick TP-Link Archer AX55. It's a good price/performance mid-range router based on Qualcomm IPQ0518 SoC. It has optional (subscription service) HomeShield similar to AiProtection on Asus routers. It's a 3rd party TrendMicro service requiring data sharing agreement. Not much value in it in my opinion. You'll be safe enough without it. The router has OneMesh/EasyMesh support to compatible extenders.

Asus RT-AX53U is the same hardware as RT-AX1800S. This is the cheapest Asus AX model based on MediaTek MT7621 SoC. Potentially interesting for OpenWrt, but weak for anything serious. It's also lower class AX1800 device (compared to Archer AX55 class AX3000) with no 160MHz channel support.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!