What's new

RT-AC87R - 2.4 GHz Network AWOL

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mrcanoehead

New Around Here
I have an Asus RT-AC87R and yesterday I had 2.4 Ghz and a 5 Ghz bands working perfectly. Today, my 2.4 GHz connection is gone and cannot be seen on multiple devices. I have rebooted the router, performed a factory reset and reinstalled my network adapter. I have also confirmed the 2.4 GHz is broadcasting and active.

Windows 10 64 bit
Intel AC-7260 NIC card
RT-AC87R

No matter what I do, I can no longer see the 2.4 GHz connection on any devices. I need help resolving this issue.

Thanks.

Last edited:
What firmware are you running?

Did you choose a specific channel for the 2.4GHz band?

Thanks for the prompt reply. I have the latest Asus firmware installed and the 2.4 GHz band is broadcasting on a specific channel (8).

So, I decided to unplug the router this morning and that did the trick - the 2.4 GHz band is back. However, throughput seems VERY low at 144.4 Mbps. On the 5 GHz band, I'm getting speeds of 866.7 Mbps. I have obviously not configured the 2.4 GHz band correctly. Any advice for maximizing the settings would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Actually, the card supports 300 Mbps on the 2.4 GHz band according to Intel. So, my performance is off.

Using channel 8 is not the best idea. Use channels 1, 6 or 11 (and 13 if your country supports it) instead.

To get 300Mbps you will need to enable 40MHz channel width mode in your router. While the indicated connection speed may be higher, your throughput and range may not reflect that superficial detail of 'performance'.

Thank you all for the assistance. Much appreciated. I am getting the speeds I expected with the new NIC card. The 5 GHz connection fluctuates, but this is expected. Great forum with very knowledgeable and supportive contributors.