What's new

RT-AC87U - 2.4Ghz Disappeared

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Vrocco

New Around Here
I was running Merlin 380.58 successfully for some time. Last night everything just froze up. Rebooted the router and now I no longer have the 2.4Ghz radio. Shows enabled in firmware, light is on on the router, but it's not broadcasting my secured 2.4 ssid or my guest network (yes broadcast is enabled).

Upgraded to 380.59 but that didn't fix anything. Rebooting does not fix anything.

Any ideas how to get my 2.4 back? I have several devices that aren't 5Ghz and they can't get online at all. 5Ghz seems to be working fine and speeds are normal.

Yes I did this as well. Even when it was set to defaults, the only SSID that showed was Asus 5G (or however they label it)

Post your system log including what is logged during reboot.

Yes I did this as well. Even when it was set to defaults, the only SSID that showed was Asus 5G (or however they label it)

You mean radio is DEAD? Can't see with something like inSSIDer? If hard reset did not do much, to be quick and simple how about reflashing f/w?

Yes radio appears to be dead. Reflash Merlin? Or the Asus firmware? From the web interface?

Syslog is attached

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    77.5 KB · Views: 521
Did you try setting to a specific channel that is within the scope of your client devices?

Did you try setting to a specific channel that is within the scope of your client devices?

Hmmm now that actually seemed to work. When set on Auto, no 2.4 SSID, when set to channel 11, they now show up (secure and guest network). Is there a bug or pull request form?

UPDATE: Spoke to soon. The SSID shows up, but nothing seems to be able to connect to that 2.4Ghz SSID. Also, Guest network SSID keeps disappearing and reappearing.

Last edited:
Syslog confirms that the radio does get enabled by the driver. Make sure it's not something else interfering with the 2.4 GHz band: bluetooth, baby monitors, etc...

I had the same issue with 5ghz wifi on older firmware. I tried everything, from factory resets, up/downgrades, tampering with nvram, flashing various revisions of CFE.Nothing worked, the radio just died. Asus replaced my router without questions.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!