What's new

RT-AC87U tweaks and tips?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

iBROX

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I've recently purchased a RT-AC87U. I'm running the latest firmware, I was wondering if there was any configuration tweaks you would recommend on the 2.4ghz and 5ghz range?

Also what sort of speeds should I be expecting, currently i'm connecting using 802.11N (awaiting a new laptop which will have AC).

Using the standard Asus FW, not Merlin.

Thanks guys

I keep reading about problems on 5ghz. So I would expect disconnections and radio dying. Not sure if those will be fixed in a future firmware or even fixable at all. Thats why I haven't bought it yet.

I keep reading about problems on 5ghz. So I would expect disconnections and radio dying. Not sure if those will be fixed in a future firmware or even fixable at all. Thats why I haven't bought it yet.

I've had one a few months. The earlier firmware had lots of problems with the 5ghz. The 4950 firmware that came out a few days ago has been very stable for me. My phone no longer drops back to the 2.4ghz and my tablet has had no connection problems that were present in previous firmwares.

Mostly only Apple users are affected, and those issues are mostly resolved with 378_4950. For the rest of us the RT-AC87U is just as stable as any of their other models.

Hi,

I've recently purchased a RT-AC87U. I'm running the latest firmware, I was wondering if there was any configuration tweaks you would recommend on the 2.4ghz and 5ghz range?

Also what sort of speeds should I be expecting, currently i'm connecting using 802.11N (awaiting a new laptop which will have AC).

Using the standard Asus FW, not Merlin.

Thanks guys
Simply, use RMerlin fw. It's best tweak:)

Mostly only Apple users are affected, and those issues are mostly resolved with 378_4950. For the rest of us the RT-AC87U is just as stable as any of their other models.

Yes, new ios 8.3 is supposed to fix that.

The one big tip, unless testing over the next few days prove otherwise, is to leave off (it should be off by default) 5Ghz beamforming. That was still causing problems prior to IOS 8.3 and it's too early to say on that.

Thanks guys. Might load up Merlin FW.

No issues with 5ghz and my apple devices. Will be upgrading to 8.3 later today anyway. Tested out ac on my wife's MacBook Pro last night. As getting some good speeds :)

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!