What's new

RT-AX58U - Firmware 388.2_0 fails to install

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mr.Ash

New Around Here
I bought a new RT-AX58U today and now I want to install the latest firmware 388.2_0.

But this process always fails and a message appears "Update failed, the upload file is corrupt or the upload failed".

I have reseted the RT-AX58U several times and also reinstalled the original ASUS firmware 3.0.0.4.388_22525 (which also worked).

I have also connected my laptop directly via LAN cable to the RT-AX58U (WiFi deliberately turned off) and install the update 388.2_0 so directly -> same error as described above.

Is the firmware 388.2_0 faulty? How else can I install this?

Yes, unfortunately it is a V2 model, thanks for pointing it out.

But that leads me straight to the next question: "Will there be a compatible firmware for the V2?"

Unlikely. V1 may lose Asuswrt-Merlin support as well.

If what you see in Asuswer 388 is not enough for you - you need a different model router.

In other words, this means that it is highly unlikely that the RT-AX58U V2 will ever get a compatible WRT Merlin firmware.

Too bad, but no problem, I use the RT-AX58U anyway only as a pure Accees Point (runs also in this mode), my main router remains for the time being the RT-AC5300. However, I will also replace it with a WiFi 6 in the course of the year.

Unlikely. V1 may lose Asuswrt-Merlin support as well.
It does seem to me, based on @RMerlin 's comment in that linked thred - the reasons behind him thinking of dropping support for AX58U are very nebulous - (1) People confusing V1 of that model with V2 - which is a problem of "some people" who are not detail oriented, at least not initially, and (2) AX58U is not that "popular".

Below is a snapshot of the downloads of RMerlin for the various models at sourceforge - where the number of downloaads for RMerlin fw show plenty of popularity for the AX-58U. If popularity is the deciding criterion, it seems to me what should rationally matter for Merlin fw is the number of people downloading Merlin fw - not Asus' sales numbers for AX-58U. By the metric of downloads, AX-58U seems plenty popular to me. At least way more than many other models.

1682479727711.png

By the metric of downloads, AX-58U seems plenty popular to me. At least way more than many other models
This is the sum of the downloads by the owners of RT-AX58U v1 + RT-AX58U v2 + RT-AX3000 v1 + RT-AX3000 v2...

In other words, this means that it is highly unlikely that the RT-AX58U V2 will ever get a compatible WRT Merlin firmware.

Too bad, but no problem, I use the RT-AX58U anyway only as a pure Accees Point (runs also in this mode), my main router remains for the time being the RT-AC5300. However, I will also replace it with a WiFi 6 in the course of the year.
There is no advantage to using Merlin firmware on an AP or AiMesh node. The current Asus firmware works very well.

Hello all,
I am looking into installing Merlin to my ASUS TUF AX3000 router. I am aware that Merlin supports AX3000/AX58U V1 only. Therefore, I went to check my AX3000 router -- There is no "V2" on the label underneath it. And there is only a 3 core processor in my router. I check that V2 uses a 4 core processor. So, mine should be V1 I assume. But when I tried to upload the firmware RT-AX58U_388.2_2_puresqubi.w, I got "Firmware upgrade unsuccessful. This may result from incorrect image or error transmission. Please check the version of firmware and try again." message.

Currently, my AX3000 router firmware is at Version:3.0.0.4.388_22525.

So, how can I check and make sure my router is V1??
Appreciate any thoughts.

Hello Bennor,
Thank you very much! It works! How silly I am not awaring the difference between RT and TUF models.
it gets confusing all the models rt tuf rog v-1 v-2

Per the Merlin About page, which lists supported routers, the RT-AX3000 V1 is supported. But the TUF-AX3000 is not supported by Asus-Merlin. If you have the TUF-AX3000 V1 then you will need to use the Gnuton: https://gnuton.github.io/asuswrt-merlin.ng fork version.
Bad documentation.

Before flashing my TUF-AX3000 (tri core therefore V1) I went searching the entire bloody internet, including Asus' own website, for the differences between RT-AX3000 & TUF-AX3000 (V1). All info indicated they are virtually the same apart from case design.

Indeed, Merlin's download page for the RT-AX3000 redirects you to the download for the RT-AX58U but fails to mention this is (aparently?) not the same as TUF models.. So after wasting time on this same problem I stumbled across your post here & confirm that Gnuton's build did flash ok. Thank you.

What is the source of your knowledge on this, because I could'nt find anything to corroborate apart from "suck it & see".