What's new

RT-AX59U & TUF AX4200 (MediaTek Filogic 830)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Any modern laptop comes with 160MHz support

that's is just not smart to choose in 2023 a 2x2 Wifi6 router with 80 MHz channel support over a 3x3 router with 160 MHz channel support.
Why? I always turn it off anyway because it never works. Too many airports, weather radars, etc.

Sorry, but iPhones are not laptops. Currently, there are lots of laptops with Intel AX210 and AX211 cards that support 160 MHz.
Why? I always turn it off anyway because it never works. Too many airports, weather radars, etc.
But it works for me, and it can work for OP. Another reason is that 3x3 routers are better than 2x2 routers regardless of the clients, that's just how WiFi works. With 3 antennas, you can get much better patterns. Here is an example:

Patterns.png

Added another candidate in the mix: the ASUS TUF AX-4200. It has the same MediaTek MT7986 SoC (12nm process, 2.0Ghz Quad-core, 512MB RAM) with a bit more flash memory 256MB (128MB in the AX59U) than the AX59U but with external antennas and a 2.5Gbps WAN port. I think it's a very good option. And it's a bit cheaper than the AX59U where I live right now. I've read this MediaTek Filogic 830 SoC performs really well and emits very little heat (power efficient) due to the 12nm process.

Went and got the ASUS TUF AX4200 today. Thought I'd share some results. This is what I get on both my M1 MacBook Air and iPhone 14 Pro (80Mhz 2x2, Tx Rate 1200, result is through 1 brick wall, distance to router: 1.5-2 meters). I basically max out my ISP connection on WiFi DL, very impressed so far. It beats the AX58U it replaced. Thank you guys for the help. 🥳✌️

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-17 at 17.29.48.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-17 at 17.29.48.png
    47.4 KB · Views: 403
Went and got the ASUS TUF AX4200 today. Thought I'd share some results. This is what I get on both my M1 MacBook Air and iPhone 14 Pro (80Mhz 2x2, Tx Rate 1200, result is through 1 brick wall, distance to router: 1.5-2 meters). I basically max out my ISP connection on WiFi DL, very impressed so far. It beats the AX58U it replaced. Thank you guys for the help. 🥳✌️
Wow, what a speed! Congratulations on your purchase!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!