What's new

RT-AX86u Pro Disconnects and Reconnects Consistently at All Times

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shalashaskaman

New Around Here
Hello all, first post on here:

I recently switched my ISP from a DSL provider to Charter Spectrum and purchased an RT-AX86U Pro to accompany the modem they provided. I thought all was well after configuring the network, but started running into issues with programs that require a constant stream of bandwidth, such as Zoom, Teams, and some SSH programs that are required for work. I watched my up and downstream on router while I was in a Zoom call:

Screenshot 2023-10-05 at 1.40.10 PM.png

Each valley where up and downstream go completely flat represent a time where my Zoom call hanged over a period of about 5 minutes. In my efforts to troubleshoot, I set QOS to prioritize work from home, I updated the router's firmware to the latest version, set DHCP query frequency to continuous and reset the both the router and modem multiple times. Further confounding my issue, is when I use a linux terminal to ping Google's DNS, I'll still be able to ping it (with the occasional lost packet,) but Zoom/Teams/SSH will still cut out intermittently.

Thanks!

EDIT: I would also like to note that this was occurring during work, while I was connected to my work's VPN, and while my housemate was connected to her work's VPN. There has seemingly been no issues since logging off the VPN.

EDIT 2: Signed back on to my work machine and enabled VPN; experienced two crashes over Ethernet with a live stream in the space of about ten minutes while my desktop continued running the same stream with no interruptions, and my phone also had no issues. I will email my company's IT tomorrow, but I believe this is an issue with the router and the VPN.

Last edited:
As a troubleshooting step, turn off QoS and see if the issue with Zoom calls persist. Depending on your broadband speed, higher broadband speeds don't really need QoS.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I just disabled QoS.

I've been logged off for work, and this evidence is only anecdotal, but I think it may be an issue with my work VPN and my housemate's work VPN (both hitch). I've been running live streams over wireless (on my phone) and Ethernet (on my desktop) since I logged off work, and have yet to run into a hitch. I was also running live streams in between meetings while I was signed onto VPN on my work machine to stress the network, and it was intermittently failing with the same frequency as Zoom/Teams/SSH. Any known issues that a largely stock configured router could have with VPN? Any security settings I should look into?

Thanks!

but I think it may be an issue with my work VPN and my housemate's work VPN (both hitch).
Yeah that changes things. You may want to update your initial post to include the fact you were using VPN if or when the Zoom issues happened. You should also provide more info about the VPN setup on the router or the computer's.

Switch the DHCP query frequency back to Agressive Mode.

For the WIFI pretty much use the defaults. Enable DFS channels if you want but let the router decide which WIFI channels it wants to use with 20-40-80-160 MHz. Use Dual Band SmartConnect.

Switch the DHCP query frequency back to Agressive Mode.

For the WIFI pretty much use the defaults. Enable DFS channels if you want but let the router decide which WIFI channels it wants to use with 20-40-80-160 MHz. Use Dual Band SmartConnect.
I've gone about 25 minutes with no issues since using these configuration settings. I'll follow up with more updates as needed. Thanks!

I've gone about 25 minutes with no issues since using these configuration settings. I'll follow up with more updates as needed. Thanks!
Unfortunately, I did experience freezing last night and this morning. After that I decided to hook my work laptop up to the modem directly, which has worked fine all day, allowing me to access my company's server, with no issues, which leads me to believe that the router is solely the culprit.

I've noticed that IPv6 is disabled by default in the ASUS settings. Could that be a factor? Should I configure IPv6, and how, if yes?

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I did experience freezing last night and this morning. After that I decided to hook my work laptop up to the modem directly, which has worked fine all day, allowing me to access my company's server, with no issues, which leads me to believe that the router is solely the culprit.

I've noticed that IPv6 is disabled by default in the ASUS settings. Could that be a factor? Should I configure IPv6, and how, if yes?
Connecting to your ISP "modem" with an Ethernet cable, correct? If you are connecting via WIFI then your ISP device is a modem/router and you are experiencing double NAT when connecting via the Asus router. If this is the case it may be best to put the ISP modem/router in bridge mode so the Asus router gets a WAN IP address directly from the ISP.
Another factor may be the router detecting RADAR and switching to a non-DFS channel. One way to check this is to set the 5 GHz to channel 36 at 80 MHz bandwidth. If the WIFI connection stays stable it may be RADAR. Sure, it is great to run 160 MHz but if there are local or airborne RADARs in the area they can cause you headaches,
As Tech9 says, if you do not need IPV6 don't enable it. My ISP offers 6RD (which works) but is slower than IPV4.

If this is the case it may be best to put the ISP modem/router in bridge mode so the Asus router gets a WAN IP address directly from the ISP.

Actually, some Asus routers have issues with specific ISPs and ISP provided modem/router with Asus behind it may be the only possible fix.

Unrelated to your issue. Keep it disabled if you don't need it.
Actually, believe it or not, enabling IPv6 on the router and configuring it to my ISP seems to have resolved the issue. I was able to stay connected to my work's VPN for about 9 hours after I switched from the modem back to the router. Worth noting that I had also experienced two crashes with VPN in the space of about 10 minutes prior to enabling IPv6 on the router. Will follow up with another update to confirm in a few days.
Connecting to your ISP "modem" with an Ethernet cable, correct? If you are connecting via WIFI then your ISP device is a modem/router and you are experiencing double NAT when connecting via the Asus router. If this is the case it may be best to put the ISP modem/router in bridge mode so the Asus router gets a WAN IP address directly from the ISP.
My ISP modem is just a modem, not a router!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!