What's new

RT-AX86U wifi capping out 300mb below max speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yeah just tried it. I left everything as is besides beamforming (universal + explicit) off, on both bands.

Explicit can stay in but doesn't really matter, not much supports it.

What link rate is showing on the device you're testing with? From your previous captures posted, none of them were capable of more than about 600 (around 2/3 of your link rate is about the most you can expect for actual throughput).

I am running Merlin 388.2_2 on my AX86 and I have no problem maxing out my 1gig fiber connection from my iPhone 14 Pro. These are my settings.

Screenshot 2023-07-08 at 3.11.13 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-08 at 3.12.18 PM.png

It doesn't sound like your router is actually resetting.

It doesn't sound like your router is actually resetting.

Thanks mate I've done basically everything posted there. I agree it's not wiping stored settings in a partition relating to wifi. I will contact asus tomorrow. Had router for 2 years so probably sol.

When I do the wps hold method it never manually reboots. I always have to power off and the on. Is that normal?

Yes, that is normal.

Try following those (repetitive) steps in the link I gave you precisely. You may get a stable router in return!

I'm sure that the nvram isn't getting reset correctly. Tried nvram clear it didn't do anything. Any other methods I could try before it goes in the bin lol

If you're resetting the router via the Reset button, the WPS method appropriate for your router, and via the GUI (and doing those steps in random order, multiple times) and in-between, are re-flashing the same firmware (3.0.0.4.388.4_0 today) and doing this until the router finally responds as it should, there is not much else to try.

The above procedure worked to 'fix' a few RT-AC86Us, an RT-AC3100, and a few RT-AX58U, and RT-AX88Us with 7 or more consecutive resets. I didn't bother testing in between resetting them, but in the end, they all worked (and continue to work today).

I would have easily done it a dozen times or more on any one unit (if needed) as the methods are very easy to do. Particularly after the results I got. You have nothing to lose except some time. And even then, get a good book, or your phone, or watch a good movie while you're waiting for the reboots and the flashing to complete.

Just be sure you're testing with the suggested defaults as outlined in the link, and not uploading any old saved backup config files after doing all that work!

Good luck.

All fixed now. Dunno what it was but my wifi has returned with a vengeance. Seeing 930mbps of intenet throughput and just over 1800mbps of wifi bandwidth throughput. Happy days thanks for your help

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!