What's new

RT-N56U-New Firmware (3.0.0.4.318)-Feedback?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Firmware update

I'm new to having to go through firmware updates so often, can someone recommend the best stable version? Thanks in advance

Got to say, so far .206 version firmware seems most stable to me. Really glad I kept it. Using it right now, and everything's working, including IPv6.

Thanks Roger, I saw that on a couple of other posts and then followed to Dropbox and downloaded. So far, so good.

If you can not wait for Asus to implement this Guest Networks you should try
the Padavans f/w where there is Wireless - Guest AP on both the 2.4 and the 5 GHz bands. I have not tried this feature but as all the stuff I need to use works in this f/w it should work ...:)

Yes, there are a few graphical errors. I will let the developers know :).

I don't think Guest Networks will be on the RT-N56u. The developers are looking into it, but it may never be included. It requires additional memory that the RT-N56u just doesn't have. If it was implemented, other features (including normal throughput) may suffer. The decision right now is to leave it out so that the regular features work properly.

I am using the N56 as just an access point. I upgraded to the .318 firmware and after about a week the wireless would not connect to the internet. It would allow a connection to the local network (fling detected local hosts), but either there was a DNS problem or a routing problem because URLs would not work. The web interface worked and I was able to login to the unit. I did not look at the syslog before I rebooted. I have backed down to the .260 firmware, which had not given me any problems.

Can someone help me setup this router after a Verizon router? What are the settings on this router? Please. I have been trying and can't seem to get it to work. I setup this router as 192.168.1.2 I want to use this as my wireless router. Do you setup in router mode or AP? Probably easy settings but can't get the wireless to work. Thank you.

router firmware: 3.0.0.4.260

Im currently running firmware .260. Is there any chance to downgrade to 1.0.1.7e?
Can I just download the file from asus site and the flash it from the web-interface?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hi
Somebody with a nexus 4 and an asus n56? I have slow download speeds over wifi with my nexus 4 (not with my other devices) and I wonder if someone else with this setup has the same problem? I try to narrow down what the problem is. I have changed every settings I know of in the router and I have tried almost all firmwares(currently running .206) but nothing seems to help.

Thanks

Edit. The strange thing is that from time to time the speed is great. These times seems to be after I have restarted the router(not always) or if I have made some changes in the router settings(but not always). The time the speed is good isn't so long, maybe for 5-20 minutes (sometimes longer and sometimes shorter) =/ It is really hard to explain the behavior as it is inconstant.

Last edited:
Upgraded to .318

****Update 1-4-2013**** Everything is running smoothly with the .318 update. The issue I was having with losing reception was limited to my Galaxy Note 2, it would drop off while my other devices remained connected. I set the Note 2 to a static IP instead of DHCP and so far, everything's OK. Thanks again to everyone for their feedback.

I was using 1.0.1.8m before jumping to 318 since with .8n i would experience wifi connectivity issues.

Now with 318 everything appeared fine at first but then my WAN speed just died. I would take for ever to open webpages after one night. Reboot and now its all fine again.

I did a reset after applying 318 and all stock settings.

I have no problems. Works well.

Hi kshaw,

And what about Media Server in this version ? Does it work fine and stable ?

Thanks !

in 318, media server kept on crashing. need to reflash to another fw

Hi,

Can anyone confirm whether FaceTime works properly with this new firmware? I'm on 1018n and when I try to FaceTime someone, that person says that there is no ring or notification on their end...and vice versa. The only way to connect is if we are both in the FaceTime app at the same time and one of us makes the call.

Last edited:
.318 gave me no issues with 2.4Ghz in terms of clients being dropped from wifi...but WIRED web browsing was slow and would often just hang.

Also had sporadic problems with Remote Desktop connections from inside and outside my local network.

VPN, WoL and miniDLNA worked correctly.

(Went back to .260 - but 2.4Ghz wifi has weird hiccups - pinging the router results in response times from 1ms up to 2430ms!!!!! :mad: ) Web browsing worked great but unacceptable for online gaming and VOIP).

I'm gonna find .317 and try that one out.
(edit: Searching the thread didn't find any trace of "317"..had to go through it page by page by page by page:
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=55066&postcount=183)

With both the above ver. I reset the router settings to factory defaults.

Windows 7 64bit

Last edited:
Feedback time

OK tried the .317 firmware and it still had the same Remote Desktop connectivity issues as .318.
Thanks though.

Last edited:
No sweat! I knew that but it wont hurt to share and let u experience yrself. Dont wanna try 206 instead? Or 189?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!