What's new

RT-N56U-New Firmware (3.0.0.4.318)-Feedback?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I don't see .206 on the Asus website. Where can it be downloaded?

Also, any bugs in .206 over the older versions?

Thanks!

Jim

Just facetime problem i think. U can check beta forum. It has the least problem

No sweat! I knew that but it wont hurt to share and let u experience yrself. Dont wanna try 206 instead? Or 189?

I'm using .260 right now and although all the remote features work (VPN, WoL, RDP) my Wireless G clients are all screwy. Pinging the router from a G client results with an average response of ~504ms.

I searched "189" and came up with nothing...As long as ver 189 still has miniDLNA and VPN ability I'll try it out. Do you have a link? :confused:

I'm using .260 right now and although all the remote features work (VPN, WoL, RDP) my Wireless G clients are all screwy. Pinging the router from a G client results with an average response of ~504ms.

I searched "189" and came up with nothing...As long as ver 189 still has miniDLNA and VPN ability I'll try it out. Do you have a link? :confused:
206 and 260 is very different. give 206 a try

206 and 260 is very different. give 206 a try

Whoops. How'd I miss that...yikes.

OK well, with 260 I seemed to have been able to get the Wireless G clients fairly stable (with an average ping response of about 10ms when pinged 20 times) by adjusting these settings like so:

Wifi Settings:
2.4Ghz settings
b/g protection off
Channel bandwidth 20Mhz
Professional
Beacon: 20
Enable TX Bursting: Disable
Enable Packet Aggregation: Enable
Enable WMM APSD: Disable
Enable WMM DLS: Disable

With the .318 firmware the beacon can be left at the default 100 with no problems for wireless G (but remote features are busted).

Edit:
Just flashed version .206. Its the clear winner here. Getting ver 260 and 206 mixed up is a giant face-palm for me btw. I better not make a mistake like that on the CCNA exam.

So far everything I've tested works correctly with version/build 3.0.0.4.206. VPN and RDP work perfectly and are very snappy. Wired web browsing and transfer of network files is going at top speed.

The problems with the Wireless G clients are non existent. The optimum settings for those clients G equipment seems to be:

Wifi Settings:
2.4Ghz settings
wireless mode: auto (as I have some N clients as well)
b/g protection: off
Channel bandwidth 40Mhz
Professional
Beacon: 100
Enable TX Bursting: Enable
Enable Packet Aggregation: Enable
Enable WMM APSD: Disable
Enable WMM DLS: Disable

This gives my wireless G clients typically a 1ms-0ms average ping repsonse time - even while I'm using VOIP on my android phone (running 2.4Ghz 802.11n @ 150Mbp)! And with the Beacon set to 100, rather than 20, the router should be saving power.

I'll test miniDLNA, Wireless N (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz) speed as well as some XBOX (Halo 4) gaming later today.
**Update: miniDLNA seems to be working correctly on my PS3.
I have two XBOX's running through an old 802.11 G router (that has been turned into a switch) and they both have an OPEN NAT rating. XBOX Live gaming was fairly lag free.

To answer the OP question, IMO, .206 and .318 seem to be about the same for standard features (wifi coverage and speed, internet browsing) but .318 gave me issues with Remote Desktop connections [Windows 7 RDP]. Stick with .206. Not .260 (as it has wireless g issues)

if you wanna try .189
here you go,
http://adf.ly/HTEPm
i'd love to hear yr feedback on both firmware
=)

Thanks for all your help wanttotree, but I'm gonna stick with .206 and leave well enough alone. In honor of this all working correctly I ordered a rt-n65u from Tigerdirect as there was a $10 off coupon code. USB 3.0 baby! Here's hoping its firmware is stable too.

Last edited:
Glad it worked out for u. Btw, usb3.0 on rt-n65u is certainly a bonus. But the best feature of rt-n65u is bigger flash and dual soc. =) hope u'll be happy with it. Padavan also developing fw for both 65 and 56. He seems to focus on 65 more nowadays.

Hey guys, I am just joining the forum. Trying to see if anyone has the rt-n56u 3.0.0.4.318 they can upload. Seems like the actual ASUS site is having issues.

Since updating to .318, I have been unable to connect wirelessly to my PS3. When I test the connection, it always fails at the Obtain IP Address stage. It says something like "the key information exchange timed out. the wpa key entered may be incorrect" I know that I'm entering the key correctly because it works on my other devices. I've tried resetting the router and modem but it does not help. Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?

Since updating to .318, I have been unable to connect wirelessly to my PS3. When I test the connection, it always fails at the Obtain IP Address stage. It says something like "the key information exchange timed out. the wpa key entered may be incorrect" I know that I'm entering the key correctly because it works on my other devices. I've tried resetting the router and modem but it does not help. Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?

Anyone here have a PS3 and can confirm whether they can connect wirelessly with firmware .318??

Have just updated to this current version, so far it seems to be working OK, although I have had a couple of drop outs. I have noticed that when I check my connected clients it only shows a maximum of 6 although I have up to 18 clients connected at any given time. Is this a known bug or have I done something wrong?

Comments would be appreciated.

If you can not wait for Asus to implement this Guest Networks you should try
the Padavans f/w where there is Wireless - Guest AP on both the 2.4 and the 5 GHz bands. I have not tried this feature but as all the stuff I need to use works in this f/w it should work ...:)

One gentleman posts the fact that the RT-N56U does not have enough memory to support guest networks.

Originally Posted by CL-Jeremy
Yes, there are a few graphical errors. I will let the developers know .

I don't think Guest Networks will be on the RT-N56u. The developers are looking into it, but it may never be included. It requires additional memory that the RT-N56u just doesn't have. If it was implemented, other features (including normal throughput) may suffer. The decision right now is to leave it out so that the regular features work properly.

Then how come Padavan's version is able to support guest networks, and on both bands? What did Padavan have to leave out in order to incorporate this? Am I missing something here?

Anyone here have a PS3 and can confirm whether they can connect wirelessly with firmware .318??
I can confirm that updating to the 3.0.0.4.X series firmware has caused my PS3 to not work wirelessly on the RT-N56U.

I started with .318, went to .321 beta, and am now running .334. My PS3 suffers from the same time-out problems you describe.

I am NOT happy at the moment.

Update: I'm now using Padavan's latest 3.0.3.3-042 firmware and my PS3 can connect again.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!