What's new

RT-N56U wifi speed was great out of the box, but now....

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

THXTom

Occasional Visitor
RT-N56U wifi speed was great out of the box, but now....

Hello All, just joined.

Just switched to Hughesnet and decided to get the RT-N56U to take advantage of the improved speeds of the satellite.

Purchased the router ~a week ago and using a Cisco app on the iphone to check wifi speed it was great. Anywhere from 3,500 kbps to 4,500.
Netflix streamed to TV was greatly improved over my old speeds with an Actiontec DSLmodem/router.
No more time outs for re-buffering on Netflix!
This was using stock firmware. Then went to 3004.206
Still, with new FW, speeds as above.

Tonight was watching Netflix and suddenly the rebuffering started, numerous times.
I checked the cisco app on the phone and after a few tests was averaging 150 to 300 kbps.

I've now been trying different things to the router for hours and can't seem to get back to the average 3,500 speeds! After searching the net for tips or settings came to this site for the content of the RT-N56U information

I've power cycled, tried different wireless settings and went to firmware 30004.342 with no luck.

Right know I still have the Frontier/Actiontec hooked up and the Cisco app says wifi speed is 995 kbps, so I think the app is correct. The Actiontec has been averaging that forever.

So for now the Asus router and hughenet modem are powered off. Plan to let it sit overnight and see if it's a heat problem....

Tomorrow plan to try this I found in search:

The way that I would do this would be to remove power cable from your router. You would then hold the reset button in while plugging in the power cable, and keep holding the reset button until the power light starts blinking. You are then in the router's "recovery mode". You can use the "rescue" utility to upload the .342 .trx file to the router. So you'll need to have downloaded the rescue utility for the rt-n56u, and the .342 .trx firmware files to be ready to do this.

After the "rescue" utility is totally finished (it will most likely say that it cannot talk to the router when it's finished, ignore that *smile*), you can log into the administration web GUI at 192.168.1.1 with "admin" user and "admin" password. Then do a simple configuration to get to the full web GUI, go to "Administration" tab, then "System" tab there. Enable telnet, and log into the router using something like putty. Issue this command:

mtd-erase -d nvram

This clears the nvram. Then hold the reset button in for about 15 seconds, let the router sit until it comes up again (you can watch the lights), and then power-cycle the router

If anybody has had this problem and fixed it could you let me know how you resolved it?
Or, has it given up the ghost and needs to be returned?

Also, how do you have the wifi settings set for 2.4/5 and streaming.
20/40, 40 only, etc...
Using QoS auto or user defined. Used to have a Linksys54G running Tomato and know how to use Qos...

Many thanks, T

Okay, first off, I would set 2.4GHz channel width to 20MHz only, and set a specific channel, like 1, 6, or 11. For 5GHz, 40MHz channel width is good, again select a specific channel. inSSIDer is a good program to use to select a channel. You can use it to select the least used channel to try. Oh yeah, make sure that you're using WPA2/AES for wireless security, but you probably know that already.

Also, in addition to what you're planning to do, I would leave QOS off until you get the speed that you're expecting. Then if you have to use it, you'll at least be starting from a known point.

Last edited:
Thanks RogerSC.

Well, this morning tried Netflix on Visio tv thats wireless again.

Played show for a fwe minutes and re-buffed a few times then said unable to connect to Netflix. restarted Netflix, and same chain of events as above.
Speed test on Visio showed almost 3000 kb/s numerous times....??? so much for that Cisco app on phone....

flashed to PAV's 3033042 with same dropped conection results.

Wired Sony BD player in AV room has no problems with the show I was watching on N.F

Think i'm going to do the power cycle-reset button, rescue utility for the rt-n56u, etc and go back to .206

I'll set up wireless as you suggested, Thanks, T