What's new

Tuya (topgreener) smart plug will not setup on RT-AX88U Pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tls1

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I recently upgraded to an Asus RT-AX88U Pro (from RT-AC88U because 2.4GHz system died). I basically setup the same (separate) SSIDs and passwords and upgraded to the latest firmware (3.0.0.6.102_33308). All of my devices were able to reconnect to the new router, except the smart plugs. I connect the android phone to the 2.4 and launched the topgreener (tuya) app to scan automatically and then manually without luck.

The 2.4 and 5 GHz SSIDs are different. I tried disabling the 5GHz radio (under wireless - Professional tab). It is setup as a wireless router (not AiMesh). Also, tested with USB not being used. Below the settings:

1714821682923.png

1714821745995.png

On the Asus website there is this article "[Wireless Router] How to improve compatibility of IoT device with ASUS WiFi 6(802.11 ax) router" which did not help.

I also tried setting up a guest LOT network. Did not work either.

I retested these smart plugs on another router, and they connect fine, and am able to control them. I suspect it's a setting or limitation in the new router. But I am unable to find any info.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Terry

Does your pre shared key contain any spaces or special characters? The only WIFI default I would change is the 2.4 GHz bandwidth - set to 20 MHz. Leave the other WIFI settings alone including the Dual Band SmartConnect. Separate SSID's is old school....

One thing I had luck with in the past (with a different smart plug) was to assign it a static DHCP address. The MAC address of the plug should be printed somewhere on it.

Does your pre shared key contain any spaces or special characters? The only WIFI default I would change is the 2.4 GHz bandwidth - set to 20 MHz. Leave the other WIFI settings alone including the Dual Band SmartConnect. Separate SSID's is old school....
No, it does not. Note that the SSID and password (pre shared key) are the same used in the previous router.

One thing I had luck with in the past (with a different smart plug) was to assign it a static DHCP address. The MAC address of the plug should be printed somewhere on it.
The MAC address is not printed on the smart plugs. I would need to use another router to connect them and extract the MAC that way.

I tried the 20 MHz setting channel bandwidth and the smart plugs would not connect to the phone

Disable MU-MIMO and beamforming on the 2.4 GHz band, drop Modulation to MCS 9, and disable the roaming assistant. In essence, keep the 2.4 GHz configuration as basic as possible, since a lot of IoT devices that only support the 2.4 GHz band are using garbage radios with compatibility issues with anything modern.

Hi, On 2.4 disabled MU-MIMO and beam forwarding, and dropped Modulation to MCS 9, and disabled the roaming assistant. But the little f--kers would not connect. See image below with settings:
1714842864228.png

Thanks!
Terry

I was finally able to get it connected using the tuya app (instead of the topgreener app), using the "AP method". You plug in the plug, press the button for 5 second to get the fast flash, then again for 5 seconds to get the slow flash. This sets up a hot spot in the smart plug. On the phone, you switch Wi-Fi to the smart plug, and then it finally connects. I did this with the guest network, and it did not work, however with the main 2.4 network it did work.

Thanks everyone for your great help!

I will try later to move one over to the lot 2.4 guest network. I'll keep you posted.

Terry

I was finally able to get it connected using the tuya app (instead of the topgreener app), using the "AP method". You plug in the plug, press the button for 5 second to get the fast flash, then again for 5 seconds to get the slow flash. This sets up a hot spot in the smart plug. On the phone, you switch Wi-Fi to the smart plug, and then it finally connects. I did this with the guest network, and it did not work, however with the main 2.4 network it did work.
I have Emporia smartplugs, "AP Method" is the only way that works to connect to 2.4GHz.

I redid the AP method to reconnect to the guest network, and it did work. Plugs are working (yay!).

In summary, the changes I made were as follows:

1) wireless - general - channel bandwidth - set to 20 MHz (was 20/40 Mhz)
2) wireless - professional - Disable Multi-user MIMO (was enabled)
Disable Universal beamforming (was enabled)
Change (drop) Modulation scheme to MCS 9 (was Up to MCS11)
Disable Roaming assistant (was enabled)

Thanls again!
Terry

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!