What's new

RT-N65U - VPN Throughput Performance (upgrade time?)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nogi

Occasional Visitor
Hi All,
I am allowing a member of my family to VPN in to my network to stream some video files off my NAS.

However this process seems to be causing my router to hang and even basic webpages like google can be served instantly or make me wait for a minute or two.

Is my router's processor/spec struggling with the VPN throughput and this process?

I dont believe its my internet speed, as I have Fiber-optic 80Mbps down / 20 Mbps up and the stream at its heaviest is 1.5 MBps upload so that leaves some room to serve the odd webpage right?

I am thinking of upgrading routers if this is the case, can anyone advise or recommend a router which can handle this process without causing other users to lose basic webpage browsing.

Do VPN users in to the router take priority and overall QoS? not that I have that enabled.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Pretty sure the low powered 'N65U is the cause of the issues.

I'd recommend an RT-AC56U or higher with RMerlin firmware, of course.

Pretty sure the low powered 'N65U is the cause of the issues.

I'd recommend an RT-AC56U or higher with RMerlin firmware, of course.

or higher?

Whats the best one to get at the moment to handle VPN sessions and throughput without clogging down the other users?

best one is either the RT-AC87u or the RT-AC3200
For pretty close performance you can get the
  • RT-AC56U
  • RT-AC66U
  • RT-AC68U
  • RT-AC68P

They're all broadcom ARM A9. I suggest getting the router with the best hardware in a sense of cooling and stability than if you need a bit more performance you can overclock them.

However if you need more than 100Mb/s of VPN there isnt an ARM A9 based router that can give you that.

If you use QoS on these routers it will help a lot for example you can give priority to Games, than VOIP, than webpages and than streams.

As mentioned my internet is only 20 mbps upload. Yet my current RT-N56U struggles to process half of that streaming through VPN whilst still serving basic webpages.

I dont use QoS and to be fair I dont feel the need to on my network. I was pretty sure my original issue was to do with the spec/performance of my current router processing through VPN (more hardware limitations).

Now how to decide between the RT-AC87u or the RT-AC3200 ?? :D

Thanks for the replies all.