What's new

RT-N66U and Parental Controls - Working firmware?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jaimi

New Around Here
I purchased a new RT-N66U router because I needed to control the times that my kids spend on the net on a school night. They're not being bad, just "losing track of time" <g>. But the Parental Controls don't appear to work. Not at all.

I went into parental controls, and entered each mac address (by selecting it from the dropdown list), and set a time of day for each device (6am-10pm). I made sure the router was showing the same time as me (seems to be an hour off for some reason... oh well, just a firmware bug I guess). And I saved all the settings. I've rebooted the router, and verified the settings are there. I turned QOS on.

But when I test it, no one is restricted - they just don't appear to do anything. Is there a firmware available where this actually works?

Hi - the firmware says it is version 3.0.0.3.112 - when I check through the routers webpage, it said that wass the latest version , so I assumed it was correct. Shame on me. So much is broken, but I thought they would at least get that right. I will try the 178 version, if it's still available.

It was working for me on 162 and now 178. I noticed the one hour time difference as well - it does throw off the scheduling by an hour but it still appeared to be working for me on 112.

I may flash back to 162 - I can't get the Clients list to show anything but the wired devices no matter how many times I refresh. I wish ASUS could fix things without breaking stuff. Sigh.

So - the last time parental control worked was FW 162. hmmm, we are at 257 now.

I been experiencing the same problem- I am really frustrated and fed up- i paid good money for this supposedly highly praised router. I keep updating firmwares one after another thinking the next one will have the fix . Nope. I been holding on to that hope for too long - since i bought this piece of crap. i just updated firmware again and problem still exists. Is Asus not able to fix this bug or they lack the know how. Parental control does not want to follow any time slots !
my system clock is correctly synced - not the problem. Asus really needs to get serious with this bug. It is pissing people off.
Firmware: 3004374257 Released Aug 14, 2013

Last edited: