What's new

RT-N66U firmware 3.0.0.4.374.720 released

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ASUS RT-N66U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.374.720
This version adds many new features, please press the reset button more than 5 seconds
to reset the RT-N66U after firmware upgrade to prevent unexpected problems!!!

AiCloud 2.0 released
1. All new web interface
2. Supports video subtitles (.srt format) For better video compatibility, Windows users need to update VLC to v2.0.8 or later
3. File/folder can be shared to Facebook (router must have public IP)
4. Supports mobile version of web interface
5. Supports router to router sync
Please refer to video via:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG6BEjUrzfc&feature=share&list=UUlSsNTCjMEGj8Guo_NmiMWA
6. Fixed smartsync related issues.

Add:
1. Repeater mode( in Administration --> Operation mode)
2. Dual WAN (in WAN -> Dual WAN)
3. Unmount all disks with 1-click
4. Disk scan feature. It is in external USB disk status tab in network map.
5. Support Sandisk Cruzer flash drive with both CD-ROM and flash disk interface.
6. Auto adjust time zone in internet setup wizard process.
7. PPTP VPN server status GUI
8. Recognizes .rmvb files as video format in media server.
9. Shows more detailed information in USB application install process.

Fixed:
1. Upgraded to SDK6 driver to fix 5GHz connection issue.
2. Fixed HK ISP DHCP connection issue.
3. Fixed USB application update related issues.
4. Reduced the redundant packets when used 3G/4G dongle as WAN and opened web browser.
5. Fixed the traffic monitor related issues when used 3G/4G dongle as WAN,
6. Fixed client duplicated issue in network map
7. removed modem setting button in AP mode
8. Fixed IE related parental control issue.
9. Disabled the Broadcom ACSD service to prevent buffer overflow vulnerabilities.
10. Fixed AiCloud vulnerability related bugs.
11. Underline "_" can now be acceptable in device name and computer name.
12. Hide Broadcast option in PPTP VPN server when it is disabled.
13. Fixed multicast IPTV related issues in PPPoE/PPTP/L2TP connection.
14 .Fixed parental control offset issue in IE.
15. Fixed 3G dongle related issue.
16. Hide ASUS DDNS description when selecting 3rd party service.
17. Fixed script error 'invalid argument on IE'
18. Fixed smart sync JS error
19. Fixed JST time zone issue.

IPv6
1. Fixed PPP IPv6 global address retrieval
2. Added DHCP-PD option
3. Added LAN DHCPv6 server
4. Added network status GUI.
5. Added option domain name if available

3G/4G dongles
1. Supports Yota LTE dongle LU150
2. Supports ZTE LTE dongle MF821
3. Supports 3G dongle Q110
4. Supports Huawei EC306

Last edited:
Cleared, reset nvram, etc.

No positive impact.

Went back to RMerlin's 274.26b and all issues cleared up. Connect at 5ghz at 300mbs just fine.

With Broadcom Dual band that has been connecting at 300mbs on 5ghz channel and 40 mhz, with this new firmware only way I can connect on 5ghz channel is to turn WPA2, all security, off.

Any security and I can't connect. "See" the channel, can't authenticate.

Works fine for the 2.4 ghz channel.

My dual band netgear Broadcom chipped client connects to this firmware @300Mbps with WPA2. Maybe you need to reset the NVRAM?

I did.

I could try again I suppose.

Nah, I'll give the release some more time and wait to see what RMerlin does with it.

His 26b is so very stable I'm not going to mess with new firmware for now.

Hi to all. I just put this firmware following the right protocol (reset et al). My observations:
- Higher speed
- Lower signal strength in the 2.4 especially (is this common?)
Also a question: my iphone 4s cannot "see" the 5 Ghz at all! Any reason you may think? (all my other computers / ipad see it OK)

Also a question: my iphone 4s cannot "see" the 5 Ghz at all! Any reason you may think? (all my other computers / ipad see it OK)

That's an easy one. The iPhone 4S doesn't support 5Ghz. Only Wi-Fi (802.11b/g/n; 802.11n on 2.4GHz)

Hi to all. I just put this firmware following the right protocol (reset et al). My observations:
- Higher speed
- Lower signal strength in the 2.4 especially (is this common?)

If you're having iOS gremlins the first thing I'd do would be:
1. exit active app, double press home button to bring up app switcher, press and hold down any app listed to bring up app force quit, force quit each individual app
2. go to settings > general > reset > reset network settings
3. power off, power back on

It will have forgotten all wifi AP info it had before, and scan anew

Don't know how/why, but this has worked for me in the past when I'm having sporadic problems seeing APs that I know should be there.

hth!

* EDIT
That's an easy one. The iPhone 4S doesn't support 5Ghz. Only Wi-Fi (802.11b/g/n; 802.11n on 2.4GHz)

oh, also that! ;)

I work at home and my work system is down so had time to play.

Reinstalled .720. Did full reset with reset button, power off, back on holding reset button, in other words RESET.

Same result.

Only way 5ghz negotiates and connects is if I turn off security.

All profiles on wireless client removed/deleted.

Broadband dual mode 4322, NOT an Intel card.

Everything works perfectly when go back to Merlin's 274.26B.

Broadcom 4322AG 802.11a/b/g Draft N

Driver: 5.30.21.0

5ghz at 300mbs works fine with 274 and some earlier RMerlins 374 variants.

Your client's driver is old. Quick check of the driver in this site http://www.wireless-driver.com/broadcom-4321ag4322ag43224ag-windows7-driver-v560188/ for W7 has a newer driver 5.60.18.8 dated 2009. Careful though I'm not familiar with the said site so I can't vouch for the safeness of the files. You can check for newer drivers in sites you trust and upgrade, I'm sure the driver you have is not compatible with SDK6 hence your problem.

Last edited:
Thanks but I'm not updating the driver from an unknown site. Windows update reports I have the latest driver.

My current driver works fine with previous versions even a few of the 374 variants.

It isn't my driver.

Thanks but I'm not updating the driver from an unknown site. Windows update reports I have the latest driver.

My current driver works fine with previous versions even a few of the 374 variants.

It isn't my driver.

Windows update is just about the worst way to keep drivers up-to-date possible.

And just because your driver works with other versions doesn't mean it's not a driver problem.

Firmware gets updated, sometimes old drivers don't work when newer ones do, and vice versa.

Windows update is just about the worst way to keep drivers up-to-date possible.

And just because your driver works with other versions doesn't mean it's not a driver problem.

Firmware gets updated, sometimes old drivers don't work when newer ones do, and vice versa.

Sort of a corollary, drivers can often be found directly on vendor websites (maybe not so much mini-pcie wifi cards in laptops though) but in some pinches I have googled for the adapter itself and its probably used in several laptops, say I've got a Dell and I can find a Lenovo model w/ same adapter and Lenovo will use a newer version of the driver.

Then you just have to download the Lenovo driver update, and obviously don't run whatever executable or installer package it comes bundled with, but look through it and find just the driver itself, and you can manually update your device under device manager to use that one.

Again this is not a recommended best practice, just one possible idea someone could use in a pinch to utilize authentic factory drivers that may not be pushed out in other mainstream avenues yet.

Either way the driver isn't the issue.

Will watch and see how this plays out. Asus has not fixed all the issues with the 5ghz code for these routers.

"Firmware gets updated, sometimes old drivers don't work when newer ones do, and vice versa."

So?

Asus puts out a firmware that loses compatibility with existing drivers and its the driver's fault?

Your logic escapes me.

If Asus had a pattern of reliability with the 5 ghz channel part of this code fine, I'd consider the firmware the stable aspect and my driver the variable that needs to be addressed.

Is that the case? Asus has been rock solid with the 5 ghz piece?

Why no, it isn't.

"Firmware gets updated, sometimes old drivers don't work when newer ones do, and vice versa."

So?

Asus puts out a firmware that loses compatibility with existing drivers and its the driver's fault?

Your logic escapes me.

If Asus had a pattern of reliability with the 5 ghz channel part of this code fine, I'd consider the firmware the stable aspect and my driver the variable that needs to be addressed.

Why no, it isn't.

Can you try Merlin's experimental SDK6 (pixie dust) just to try and isolate the issue? (It's in the experimental folder)

So?

Your logic escapes me.

Why no, it isn't.

Whilst I have some sympathy with your views, please note that your earlier post shows your driver as

Broadcom 4322AG 802.11a/b/g Draft N

Driver: 5.30.21.0

Asus do not claim to be compatible with your Draft N implementation, but instead adhere to the ratified N standard.

Maybe there is mileage in updating?

It isn't my driver.
I'm just suggesting ways that may fix your issues. I'd just notice your driver's built is old and was designed for draft N, however, Wireless N has been finalized/ratified that the spec has changed that's why I suggested to update the drivers. If you don't want to upgrade no big deal it's your decision.;)