What's new

RT-N66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.376.2524

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wouterv

Very Senior Member
ASUS RT-N66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.376.2524
Bug fixed:
1. Fixed wireless network unstable issue when there are over 50 clients in MAC filer list.
2. Fixed OpenVPN UI issue. OpenVPN client shows disconnect but it still connect to VPN server.
3. Fixed the NTP sync error issue when manually assign the NTP server.
4. Fixed AiCloud compatibility issue when using IE11.
5. Fixed AiCloud UI issue when generating file share link.

Good news for the OpenVPN users (many reported the fxed bug).

Installed 3.0.0.4.376.2524 over 3.0.0.4.376.1071 without problems, surprisingly the router came with a popup asking for a manual reboot after the upgrade (with other upgrades it did the reboot automatically).
No return to factory defaults, so far so good.

ASUS RT-N66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.376.2524 error?

After updating from 3.0.0.4.376.1071 I experienced a challenge:

I have fixed ip and a domain pointing to my fixed IP. In my internal routing forwarding table I have various units connected at different ports.

With firmware 1071 I could, from my lan, access all local units like this: www.domain.com:5001 (www.domain.com is routed to my fixed IP).
Now I have to use the internal address when I am in my own LAN (192.168.0.3:5001). When I am connected to an external net I can still use www.domain.com:5001.

This means that I need 2 different setups on all my applications depending on if I am in MY net or any other net. In the last firmware (1071) I could use the same "external" (www.domain.com:5001) always (internal and external). With several units on the net this is a challenge. It doesn't matter if I use the webadress or my fixed (external) IP address, -same results.

Sounds like a bug?

Anyone able to set the wireless channel on 2.4?

After changing it from auto it point blank refuses to use anything other than channel 1.

Have done a factory restore but still same behaviour.

Have tried several of the 13 channels, after restart GUI shows the selected channel but it continues to use channel 1 when scanned with WiFi Analyser.

So nobody else has an issue with manual wireless channel selection?
I can say it does work for me (together with a manual set bandwidth of 20 MHz for 2.4 GHz).
To what bandwidth is 2.4 GHz set?
I suggest to manual set it fixed to 20 MHz, this will downscale the throughput, but also limits neighbor disturbance and may avoid the router to automatically scale it down and maybe also change the channel.
Use InSSIDer to determine the channel usage in your neighborhood, and manual select the least occupied channel out of 1, 6 or 11 (together with fixing it to 20 MHz).

Wouterv, thanks for the reply.

Perhaps my description of the problem wasn't very clear.

If I manually select channel 6 and apply the setting the router processes the request and it appears to have worked.

When I check with WiFi Analyser (Android equivalent of InSSIDer) it shows that the router is using Channel 1.

The same thing happens no matter which channel I manually select.

There is nothing nearby to interfere but regardless of that it should be possible to set the channel at any number between 1 and 13.

Currently stuck using Channel 1 as it's the only one it will activate.

Last edited:
Wouterv, thanks for the reply.

Perhaps my description of the problem wasn't very clear.

If I manually select channel 6 and apply the setting the router processes the request and it appears to have worked.

When I check with WiFi Analyser (Android equivalent of InSSIDer) it shows that the router is using Channel 1.

The same thing happens no matter which channel I manually select.

There is nothing nearby to interfere but regardless of that it should be possible to set the channel at any number between 1 and 13.

Currently stuck using Channel 1 as it's the only one it will activate.

This usually happens if you set channel width to 20/40MHz, and the router downgrades to 20 MHz due to interference. Set your router to 20 MHz, and it should resolve the issue.

After updating from 3.0.0.4.376.1071 I experienced a challenge:

I have fixed ip and a domain pointing to my fixed IP. In my internal routing forwarding table I have various units connected at different ports.

With firmware 1071 I could, from my lan, access all local units like this: www.domain.com:5001 (www.domain.com is routed to my fixed IP).
Now I have to use the internal address when I am in my own LAN (192.168.0.3:5001). When I am connected to an external net I can still use www.domain.com:5001.

This means that I need 2 different setups on all my applications depending on if I am in MY net or any other net. In the last firmware (1071) I could use the same "external" (www.domain.com:5001) always (internal and external). With several units on the net this is a challenge. It doesn't matter if I use the webadress or my fixed (external) IP address, -same results.

Sounds like a bug?

This is bad. Any fix/workaround available?

No 40MHz bandwith if control channel set to Auto

I just noticed that RT-N66U will not go to 40MHz bandwith in 5GHz band if the control channel is set to "Auto". Took some time to figure out why I am getting only half of the bandwith... Anyone else having this? Happens with 3.0.0.4.376.2524, I don't know if this occurred also with older FWs.

I just noticed that RT-N66U will not go to 40MHz bandwith in 5GHz band if the control channel is set to "Auto". Took some time to figure out why I am getting only half of the bandwith... Anyone else having this? Happens with 3.0.0.4.376.2524, I don't know if this occurred also with older FWs.
It does work here.
The two antenna 5 GHz client connects at 300Mbps and the 3 antenna client with 450Mbps.
Use InSSIDer to check the channel usage in your neighborhood and do this on various locations in your house.
The automatic channel selection feature is not allways smart enough to find the best channel.

Unable to access domain while on LAN

Same problem as the other user. I have a dyn dns account with several ports forwarded to my Synology NAS. Verified the IP, can ping the server, but accessing via domain name on the LAN will not access my web server even using the WAN IP address. When VPNing out and using the domain name back into the network access using the domain name works, as does access from a cell phone. Server is only accessible on the LAN using the LAN IP.

Rolling back to previous firmware resolves the issue.

It does work here.
The two antenna 5 GHz client connects at 300Mbps and the 3 antenna client with 450Mbps.
Use InSSIDer to check the channel usage in your neighborhood and do this on various locations in your house.
The automatic channel selection feature is not allways smart enough to find the best channel.

Checked with a wifi analyzer, lucky to be all alone in the 5 GHz band.

When setting the control channel to "Auto", RT-N66U selects channel 36 for a channel and a primary channel:

Code:
RSSI: 0 dBm	SNR: 0 dB	noise: -86 dBm	Channel: 36
BSSID: 50:46:5D:01:33:C4	Capability: ESS ShortPre 
Supported Rates: [ 6(b) 9 12(b) 18 24(b) 36 48 54 ]
HT Capable:
	Chanspec: 5GHz channel 36 20MHz (0xd024)
	Primary channel: 36
	HT Capabilities: 
	Supported MCS : [ 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ]

Mode	: AP Only

But when setting the control channel to 36, there are a side band 38 and a 40 MHz channel bandwith:

Code:
RSSI: 0 dBm	SNR: 0 dB	noise: -84 dBm	Channel: 36l
BSSID: 50:46:5D:01:33:C4	Capability: ESS ShortPre 
Supported Rates: [ 6(b) 9 12(b) 18 24(b) 36 48 54 ]
HT Capable:
	Chanspec: 5GHz channel 38 40MHz (0xd826)
	Primary channel: 36
	HT Capabilities: 
	Supported MCS : [ 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 32 ]

Mode	: AP Only

Some region differences might play some role here...

Checked with a wifi analyzer, lucky to be all alone in the 5 GHz band.

When setting the control channel to "Auto", RT-N66U selects channel 36 for a channel and a primary channel...
Given your check of the WiFi usage in your neighborhood and without knowing the router history, I suggest to revert to factory defaults, configure the router again (do NOT load an old configuration backup file) and re-check the 5 GHz behaviour.

In my particular case with this new firmware I've found the following (which was not present on _1071)

-5Ghz band found that instead of 78-80Mbps bandwith I was reaching on 1071, now it works @51-56Mbps
-The SSID names on GUI are wrongly shown. In my case they should be shown as "iNet 2.4G" & "iNet 5G" (see:
9SYgMXt.png
)
-Download Master was not recognized after the upgrade, so I have to reinstall the app. on my flashdrive.

Troubleshooting I've done:
-Resetting the router to 0 and reconfiguring it manually: Didn't help.
-Rollback to _1071 firmware: All issues are not present, it works perfect.

Used my Android phone with Wi-Fi Sweetspot to check Wi-Fi speed between my phone and the router.
Used my Laptop with a tool which I don't remember the name, but just with the Android one you can validate your speed.

I've submitted this report to ASUS, hope they can fix this.

Last edited: