What's new

RT-N66U New Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.378.9383

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sm00thpapa

Very Senior Member
ASUS RT-N66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.9383

- Release Notes –
- Added Movistar Triple VLAN profile in IPTV setting page
- Fixed too many repeat information in system log.
- Fixed VPN client UI issue when using Firefox.
- Fixed wireless channel issue when set 2.4G channel in 12 or 13 (only for EU region)
- Fixed dual wan ping time watch dog issue which might cause .false fail over to secondary wan.

At least the EU 2.4GHz channel 12 and 13 issue is verified to be solved.
The other fixes I cannot verify.
Another hurray for Asus continued firmware support for the RT-N66U.

Yeah man good to see that ASUS is still supporting the N66U. I installed this firmware just haven't used it yet. Good to know the EU 12 and 13 channels are working.

I guess this fix:
Also caused the hourly "ntp: start NTP update" messages to be gone.
The system log stays nicely empty now.

I guess this fix:
Also caused the hourly "ntp: start NTP update" messages to be gone.
I'm getting that now on my AC88U. And it's damn annoying.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Is the N66U your main router? I'm thinking of hooking it back up for a week or so.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

The RT-N66U is my main router.
There is no reson to upgrade to AC yet, in the first place because my Internet speed is lower than what the router can handle and the majority of clients are still 802.11n.
In addition my router never suffered slow wireless issues as reported by others.
In the past there have been firmware related 5 GHz issues which are solved long ago.
The RT-N66U simply does what it needs to do to me, it is online without the need for a reset between firmware upgrades. My use of the router is straight forward, just as router with the only "special" being a USB stick attached to it as my network drive.
The clients are all wireless, in a mix of 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz: Windows 7 PC's, Android phones, an Android Tablet, a PS4 and a printer which uses an old Linksys WRT54GL with DD-WRT and set as Client-Bridge. The 2.4 GHz is able to cover our whole 3 story house, 2 stories excellent, the upper story fair. 5 GHz covers only the story where the router is located (as expected).

Last edited:
I upgraded to this firmware and now my router will not bring up "network map">"View List" (client list) for more than a second or two, then it immediately clears the screen and logs me out, making the client list and re-naming completely impossible to use. This is on firefox, edge, or chrome on win 10. Anyone else? This also happens for me on 9313.

In addition, any time I go into LAN>>DHCP Server" it takes a moment to bring up the manually assigned list. And if I attempt to add a new client to the list, I can hit the "+" to add but the instant I tap the "apply" button the screen clears and I'm logged out, and the change doesn't take. My router is rendered pretty useless without being able to use these features.

Not sure what to do?? Anyone seen this? Please help if you can.

Last edited:
I upgraded to this firmware and now my router will not bring up "network map">"View List" (client list) for more than a second or two, then it immediately clears the screen and logs me out, making the client list and re-naming completely impossible to use. This is on firefox, edge, or chrome on win 10. Anyone else? This also happens for me on 9313.

In addition, any time I go into LAN>>DHCP Server" it takes a moment to bring up the manually assigned list. And if I attempt to add a new client to the list, I can hit the "+" to add but the instant I tap the "apply" button the screen clears and I'm logged out, and the change doesn't take. My router is rendered pretty useless without being able to use these features.

Not sure what to do?? Anyone seen this? Please help if you can.
Did you perform a hard reset of the router and manual configure it again? This may be mandatory, depending on the previous firmware version.

To hard reset the router or attempt to clear NVRAM:
  1. Unplug the USB storage device (if any).
  2. While the router is on: press the reset button for more than 5 seconds.
  3. Give the router about 5 minutes to start up again.
  4. Power down the router and start it up again.
  5. Access the router at the default IP address 192.168.1.1 and admin/admin
  6. Manual configure the router again (do NOT load an old configuration backup file).
  7. Connect the USB storage device again (if any).

Hi, I ended up installing merlin's current version instead and it works perfectly keeping my settings in tact and not exhibiting any of the errant behavior of the stock firmware, and I didn't have to type in all my settings (many). Thanks.

Didn't have to hard reset. Just restored to factory defaults through the web interface and everything cleared up.

Hi, I ended up installing merlin's current version instead and it works perfectly keeping my settings in tact and not exhibiting any of the errant behavior of the stock firmware, and I didn't have to type in all my settings (many). Thanks.

Well I spoke too soon. I need to reboot the router every 2 days with Merlin's firmware. Because everyone complains they cannot connect to wireless and it gets worse and worse.

Didn't have to hard reset. Just restored to factory defaults through the web interface and everything cleared up.
Restore Factory defaults should have the same result as an hard reset, so you did it right :)
Some users are not even able to reach the router user interface and can only perform a hard reset by using the reset button.

Well I spoke too soon. I need to reboot the router every 2 days with Merlin's firmware. Because everyone complains they cannot connect to wireless and it gets worse and worse.
If you've simply gone from stock firmware to Merlin's without a factory reset, that might be your problem. I suggest a hard reset and then configure everything again and see how it performs.

If you've simply gone from stock firmware to Merlin's without a factory reset, that might be your problem. I suggest a hard reset and then configure everything again and see how it performs.

You are correct I did not do a factory reset. I have several ports and dedicated device IPs and also renames so I really wanted to be lazy and avoid that. Bad idea... better to just hunker down and re-type everything. Last Sunday I did break down and do a full hard reset... actually several in a row, just to be sure :) Took me 2 hours to re-type or set up all my ports and IPs. Decided also to separate the name of my wireless running on an access point off the router to its own unique name.

Anyway that seems to have corrected my problem since I've had 5 days of uptime without a router reboot, and speedtest shows I'm still pulling 50 wirelessly (no reduction). I'm sticking with stock firmware for now. Thanks everyone for your help, and I just wanted to post back in case it helps someone.

lanman, it is always surprising what a proper reset to factory defaults can do (in most cases). :)