What's new

RT-N66U randomly dropping connections

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Madix

New Around Here
My router (RT-N66U) has been dropping both wired and wireless connections quite frequently recently. I know for sure it's the router because when connected by wire I can't even connect to the router home page (it just keeps loading or times out). It has done this in the past but seemed to stop doing it for a while when I switched to Merlin's firmware.

The router will do this off and on and with no warning all day. The router stays on and all lights look good. I can reset the router and it will allow me to connect again but it may start dropping connections again soon after (both wired and wireless). Sometimes it will auto reconnect, other times it will keep me disconnected until I reset it.

Things I've tried:
1) I have the newest Merlin firmware, have tried older versions as well
2) I've put a fan on it and temps are now 40-45 C
3) Tried resetting to factory defaults

I'm currently ordering another one because I can't live without it (I depend on it for my job) but I'd like to get this broken one working as a backup or possibly as connection point to stretch the signal out further. Do you guys think this one is kaput?

Some people have reported success when they replaced the power adapter with a new one. It seems to be a known issue with Asus' of that age. Beyond that I'd say that the router has just come to the end of its life.