What's new

RT-N66U storing traffic data?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DogT

Occasional Visitor
OK, I've got my router configured to store the 'traffic history location' data in RAM (Default) but I see there's an option to store it in a 'Custom Location'. I also notice that whenever I make a change in any option on the 'Traffic Monitoring/Other Settings/Tools' page that the history starts over and I've lost any data previously collected, as near as I can tell. Can I use the 'Custom Location' to store it say on another drive in the computer that's connected to the router? How would I put that in the 'Custom Location'? Or would I have to install a USB drive in the 66U and store it there and will I be able to access old data anyhow.

I'm supposing if I loose power to the router, I will have lost all my previous data if it's stored in RAM. That's why I want to do this. I'm trying to keep track of the data usage of all the devices connected through this router, wired and wireless.

I read the Merlin info and it looks like the preferred place to store it is a USB. They also say to make static IP addresses for connected devices. I hope this goes well. I'm still confused about how to address the new location in the USB or will that become apparent when I plug in a USB flash? I feel like I'm 1/4 the way there.

...or will that become apparent when I plug in a USB flash?
Yes. Just click the select button and navigate to the location.

Untitled.png

Well, that's exactly what I did, the USB showed up (it's an extremely old USB 500MB drive) and over a day, no data showed up. I guess I'll just go back to RAM and accept the chance of power faults. At least I can track the data now per device where before I couldn't. It's interesting since I've blocked/stopped using the Kindle (and the 'smart' phones) the data usage as gone back to normal. Beware of Amazon, they'll suck out your precious bodily fluids.

I'm not sure about the static IP, I haven't seen any issues yet, everything seems to get reported without going to that. The Apple shows up as a machine code and the PC's show up with their computer name.

When I reset to 'custom location' everything reset as I expected, but I never got any data collection. It's good enough for now with the RAM without getting too exotic.

I'd still like to be able to store the traffic data on a usb, but I don't seem to be able to do it. When I install a usb (500MB) it does show up on the Tools/Other settings/Save history location, but no matter what I select in there and apply it, when I go back to traffic monitor, select daily and it takes a while and then it finally says 'No Client'. I've tried adding subdirectories on the usb and that doesn't work either. Is there something else I need to do to enable this feature. It's as I expected, if I reset the 66U, I loose all the data in the RAM. It works fine in the RAM mode. And I notice I cannot use NVRAM if IP traffic is enabled, which kinda defeats the whole thing.

I would suggest that you:

1. Plug your USB drive into a PC and format it as FAT32 (give it a simple Volume Label if it doesn't already have one).
2. Plug it back into the router and wait for it to be detected.
3. Go to Tools > Other Settings > Traffic Monitoring and set the custom location, frequency and set the directory. Set yes for "Create or reset data files" and "Create or reset IPTraffic data files". Then click Apply.
4. See if it's now working. Check the syslog for error messages.

Oh, brother. Now I can't open the router from Firefox, Explorer works, I haven't a clue what I did but it first came up with the message that the 'router was reset.......' long message and when I try logging in, it just goes back to the log in page. If I type in 192.168.1.1 it immediately goes to the main router page, but then jumps right back to the login page. I could just throw all these things in the stream. My network printer is always dropping off my main computer too since I got the new Hughesnet G5 modem/router and it takes forever to get it to work again, I couldn't today so I just put what I wanted on a usb and took it to the computer that has the printer wired to in. I've tried re-starting things several times, I'm finished with this stuff for today.

Can you explain in detail how your Hughesnet G5 modem/router is connected to the N66U and the rest of the LAN? Is it's wireless disabled? Can the G5 be put into "bridge mode"?

The reason I ask is because it sounds like you have a router (the N66U) behind another router (the G5). This will mean that any devices that connect directly (wired or wireless) to the G5 will not be able to talk to any devices connected directly (wired or wireless) to the N66U. There are ways of solving this but it depends on the specific circumstances.

I understand from your other thread the reason why you are using the N66U, but the info I've seen on the internet suggests that the G5 (being an AC device) might offer better wireless connectivity. But that doesn't help you with your traffic monitoring problem.

Hughesnet is satellite ISP, so I have to use the Hughes modem output into the N66U input and the Hughes modem/router is disabled for wireless. I'm using the N66U wired to a MacPro and my PC and wireless to a HP PC for the wife so I can monitor usage. Everything seems to be working fine except when I try to go to Control Panel on my PC which is right next to the Hughes and N66U, and I go to 'Network and Sharing' and click on 'show full map' I usually get an error message. Sometimes I get this but not usually. When I see this the printer will usually work.

I think what happened with the A66U and Firefox was I unplugged the usb without closing the A66U page when I went to format the usb, but it's still cycling through the login page with FF, the only way I can get out of the loop is to hit 'Enter' when logging on to 192.168.1.1 and have the cursor on the 'stop' button next to the address bar and when I hit enter I immediately click on stop, then I can get into the A66U with FF. Explorer seems to work fine logging into the A66U. I haven't tried power/rebooting the A66U yet.

Is there another way to hook this up? It used to be there was no router with the previous generations of Hughes, just a modem that went into a router for other devices.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 572
OK. That's fine. I was just concerned that you might be connecting devices to the Hughes or have left its wireless enabled, both of which would have caused problems. As it is it looks like you've got it all covered. I apologise for doubting you.:)

I think issues with web browsers like you describe are pretty common. Usually clearing the browser's cache or rebooting the PC and/or router fixes it. Sometimes it's a security update for the browser that messes things up.:rolleyes:

I find Windows' network map only about 20% accurate most of the time. It's sort-of nice to look at but not really reliable.

P.S. And by A66U you mean N66U. ;)

Yes, N66U. I'll try clearing the cache in FF, it's still not logging in, just rolling around and it doesn't even stop after 5 tries, I even changed the password in Explorer and also FF to the same thing but different from before and it still does the same thing. I'm sort of getting tired of FF, they seem to be getting bloated but I like the control I have on things.

Actually the pic I sent doesn't really look like how I've got it hooked up but maybe that's how control panel sees it. My verbiage description is how it is. I don't know what all those switch and hubs are in the pic.

We had power outage a while ago and I'm on generator, and it looks like my old traffic monitor stuff is still gone even using the usb. Typical? The PW still didn't work.

Thanks for the help.

Yes, I ran out of patience with FF a few years ago.

Here's my network map. a) it doesn't really look like my network, and b) it looked completely different 30 minutes ago. :rolleyes:

Untitled.png

The traffic monitor only saves it's data periodically based on the frequency you set in the GUI (1 hour?). But of course if you've been rebooting the router it's possible that it was never up long enough to get to that point.

If you can't solve your issues (and you have the time) you could always try installing John's firmware instead of Merlin's. It's based on an older version of Merlin that was notably stable on the N66U and had good wireless performance. I used it on my N66U and still do on my AC68U.:cool:

Thanks for the info, I'll keep it in mind and see how the thing goes for a few days. Power is still out here which means the A/C is off, but it's not too hot today. I bought a 10KW generator about 8 years ago and use it frequently here in the nether regions.

I uninstalled FF and reloaded it through Explorer and now things are working much better. Logs into the Asus and lots of web pages load up lots faster. This W7 computer is prolly 10 years old but it's a 3GHz AMD dual core with full RAM and I should either get a new one or format the hard drive and start over, there seems to be a lot of bloat that builds up and I haven't figured out how to get rid of it, my best option I know of is CCleaner and it prolly doesn't do much.

Thanks again, you've been really helpful.
Dave