What's new

Rt-n66u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I_Go_Splat

New Around Here
I have a Samsung Blu-Ray player that ties in with my network. I have an external hard drive attached to the RT-N66U router that I was able to access music, movies, and pictures and play to my TV.
I just updated my routers firmware recently and now my selection from my Blu-Ray player is missing the router. I have my desktop, laptop, a wireless speaker in the network. Before I updated I had access to all of these.

I have sent Asus an email and they have replied to update the firmware to my router and do a 5 second reset. I also did a 30/30/30 on it for giggles sake. I am now stuck without media access through my Blu-ray.

Would anyone here have or know of a safe site that would have archived firmwares? I am willing to go back to it's original state of 3.0.0.4.220 if I can find a reliable source.
Thanks.

I have a Samsung Blu-Ray player that ties in with my network. I have an external hard drive attached to the RT-N66U router that I was able to access music, movies, and pictures and play to my TV.
I just updated my routers firmware recently and now my selection from my Blu-Ray player is missing the router. I have my desktop, laptop, a wireless speaker in the network. Before I updated I had access to all of these.

I have sent Asus an email and they have replied to update the firmware to my router and do a 5 second reset. I also did a 30/30/30 on it for giggles sake. I am now stuck without media access through my Blu-ray.

Would anyone here have or know of a safe site that would have archived firmwares? I am willing to go back to it's original state of 3.0.0.4.220 if I can find a reliable source.
Thanks.

Someone might be able to answer the question on your archival f/w issue, but real quick, just to do some troubleshooting:

- you have enabled DLNA on the router and no networked device sees it? Can you browse it with a client on your laptop or desktop? (VLC, XBMC, Windows Media Center, etc?)

- UPnP is on in the router?

- if you run an ethernet cord from the router to your wireless speaker or bluray player do they populate in the network devices area on your Win machine?

- have you tried flipping on or off IGMP snooping on the router?

- just to make sure nothing happened to that media drive, is it a file format that the samsung could read if you plugged it in via USB directly? Just to double check?

Go back to .276 which is on the website and see what happens. I have firmwares as far back as .270 only. This is an odd problem as changing firmware should not have caused this issue.

I'm at work at the moment, but a few questions I can answer.
I'm able to view the router from my laptop. It doesn't view it as a media device, but it's listed to where I can read/write to the hard drive. My phone will connect to the router through AICloud as it used to do and I can read/write to the drive also.

The bluray and the router never have "liked" each other from the getgo. Anytime I would make alterations to the router I would have to go through 3 or 4 reboots of the router and the bluray before I could finally see the router. Then I would have to wait foe the data to load into the bluray before being able to play anything.

I mainly use the router to store my movies and music to then play through my Viera. I haven't made any settings change with each firmware upgrade that I can remember.

As of right now I am streaming wirelessly from the laptop to the Viera plasma till the issue is found.

I just wrote to the drive over the network recently from the laptop also.

Maybe to get a baseline when you get home confirm the DLNA server is switched on in the router UI, and try streaming directly to the laptop (as a DLNA device, not just as a file server) and we can go from there.

If you have the DLNA server running on the router and you can't see it from your Windows machine (eg see the router as a media server) check the router log for mentions of the DLNA server and maybe an error.

I have a similar setup (using Asus RT-N16 router) and I have found a reboot sequence that always works :D. In my case whenever the Samsung loses visibility of the network I shut down and unplug the Samsung Bluray from the power outlet, hold down its power button for a few seconds then reconnect the power cord. I then power up the Samsung Bluray and presto, the router and my media folders are all visible. It seems like something to do with the Samsung firmware. Try it and see.

I have a similar setup (using Asus RT-N16 router) and I have found a reboot sequence that always works :D. In my case whenever the Samsung loses visibility of the network I shut down and unplug the Samsung Bluray from the power outlet, hold down its power button for a few seconds then reconnect the power cord. I then power up the Samsung Bluray and presto, the router and my media folders are all visible. It seems like something to do with the Samsung firmware. Try it and see.

Do you have to leave your Bluray power in an always on mode to prevent it from turning off?

And does it connect over wifi or Ethernet?

I have a BD-D6500 and I can access my laptop and PC from the bluray. The 2 pull in Devices on the bluray which are attached to the network. My laptop is wireless, but the bluray is hard wired as is the PC. I'm contemplating finding the previous firmware for the blu ray also. The latest release was in July (or Aug) for the bluray, so I'm almost guaranteed I would have updated close to that time of release. I may just find an older firmware for that also and play around till I find the right setup and then leave them both alone.

Maybe to get a baseline when you get home confirm the DLNA server is switched on in the router UI, and try streaming directly to the laptop (as a DLNA device, not just as a file server) and we can go from there.

If you have the DLNA server running on the router and you can't see it from your Windows machine (eg see the router as a media server) check the router log for mentions of the DLNA server and maybe an error.

DLNA server is turned on USB > Servers Center > Media Server. I can watch movies on my laptop that are on the RT-N66U attached drive. I can stream a movie from the router drive to my Samsung S3 phone still also.
It's a communication issue between the Samsung and the router... the only function I truly care about :(

The BD-D6500 is a touch screen face. My options for a hard reset are pressing the STOP icon for 8 seconds and resetting options to default. Did this also and no go. It has auto update, which cancels it out for firmware update issue from July.

I am going to try an older version of the firmware for the router and I will post back the results.

Welp... went back to .276 and my RT-N66U is back on the list. Guess I'll email ASUS and tell them they screwed up somewhere.
Thanks for the assist.