What's new

Samba over VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

elorimer

Part of the Furniture
Looking for a steer here. I'm not able to access the HDD attached to the Asus router that is acting as an OpenVPN server.

Specifically, I have an HDD attached to my 87U for my home network. I've set up Samba guest sharing for it and can access it no problem from within the home network. The 87U is also set up with a TAP and a TUN instance of OpenVPN server. My remote location has a N66U with matching clients. Both routers are on 380.57.

When I make a VPN connection with either instance, I do not see the HDD showing up in my network places. I see other computers on my home network and those shares, but not the HDD connected to the 87U. I can access the webgui for the 87U, and I can see the HDD if I login over the VPN using WinSCP.

If I make a VPN connection from one remote computer (using OpenVPN on that computer, rather than the client on the N66), the 87U and the Samba share show up.

What might I be doing wrong?