What's new

Save setting to nvram

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

doubleroll

Regular Contributor
How can I save a particular setting to nvram so after a reboot I do not have to make the same changes?

example: ROBOCFG PORT 0 JUMBO ON

Not a big deal but it would be nice not to have to do this every time. Thx!

it would be easier to simply add that line to /jffs/scripts/services-start

or your original idea
saving a value would mean
saving 0 & ON , those are the values
robocfg is the program
port and jumbo are specific cmd's used to set the values above

you would need a script that knows what to do with those values

so yeah, much easier to add to services-start

I don't see the point in enabling Jumbo Frames on only one port of your switch. That means that any traffic forwarded from port 0 to any of the other ports will run into issues.

For jumbo frames to work properly, everything on the LAN segment must share the same settings.

Is there a way to adjust the mtu of the switch ports and save to nvram or is adding a call to ifconfig in a jffs script the only way?

I don't see the point in enabling Jumbo Frames on only one port of your switch. That means that any traffic forwarded from port 0 to any of the other ports will run into issues.

For jumbo frames to work properly, everything on the LAN segment must share the same settings.

Sorry yes that is what I would want to do enable on all ports on the LAN for jumbo. I would like it to be persistent so that a reboot will not require the commands to be manually run. Thanks!

it would be easier to simply add that line to /jffs/scripts/services-start

or your original idea
saving a value would mean
saving 0 & ON , those are the values
robocfg is the program
port and jumbo are specific cmd's used to set the values above

you would need a script that knows what to do with those values

so yeah, much easier to add to services-start

I will give that a try Thanks!

Sorry yes that is what I would want to do enable on all ports on the LAN for jumbo. I would like it to be persistent so that a reboot will not require the commands to be manually run. Thanks!

LAN -> Switch Control

Set Jumbo Frames to "Yes" simply :)

LAN -> Switch Control

Set Jumbo Frames to "Yes" simply :)

Oops..I neglected to list an important piece of info, I am running in AP mode and do not have that option.

I also see that /jffs is read only and does not have a scripts sub-directory...I guess I can "chmod" it but don't want to break anything.

Thanks!

Oops..I neglected to list an important piece of info, I am running in AP mode and do not have that option.

I also see that /jffs is read only and does not have a scripts sub-directory...I guess I can "chmod" it but don't want to break anything.

Thanks!

Not sure if the code will still initialize this properly while in AP mode (I didn't check), but give it a shot:

Code:
nvram set jumbo_frame_enable=1
nvram commit
reboot

Otherwise, see the Wiki on how to enable the JFFS partition, and then using user scripts.

the cmd you list above, would only change jumbo setting for 1 port not all ports

and if you want it on all ports
isn't there a check box in the gui for doing that

and I also agree with RMerlin
Jumbo frames are more trouble than it's worth
and it will probably negatively effect performance

edit: this is what happens when I respond from work
4 post happen, while I've started a response and working on something else
LOL

Last edited:
Not sure if the code will still initialize this properly while in AP mode (I didn't check), but give it a shot:

Code:
nvram set jumbo_frame_enable=1
nvram commit
reboot

Otherwise, see the Wiki on how to enable the JFFS partition, and then using user scripts.

Thanks for all tour help I will give it a shot.

The nvram commands worked like a charm:D All LAN ports have jumbo frames enabled. I actually found better results with Jumbo frames reading/writing to a Netgear NV+ NAS. The biggest benefit was noticed with writes to the NAS.

Thanks so much for all your help Merlin! You rock...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!