What's new

saving config when moving from OEM to Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ags

Regular Contributor
I'm considering an upgrade to Merlin.

1) If I save my current configuration for the current OEM AsusWRT and then upgrade to the Merlin version, will I be able to upload the saved configuration to get back to my current settings?

2) Does Merlin version also notify when new versions are available?

3) Does Merlin version have a full (standard) ssh implementation, or rather a reduced-capability version built for an embedded environment?

1: yes should work but after you flash update to merlin go into the routers admin and do a factory reset.
then you should be able to upload settings and them work
2: no. the firmware update features points to the merlin download homepage, just keep checking reguarly.
3: unknown *someone else will be able to answer this one. i know it has SSH though i think its in bedded..

SSH daemon is dropbear, exact same daemon as used by the stock firmware. I don't know what your criteras are for "full implementation". It has fewer features than OpenSSH, but it still supports most basic things, including port forwarding/tunneling.

SSH daemon is dropbear, exact same daemon as used by the stock firmware. I don't know what your criteras are for "full implementation". It has fewer features than OpenSSH, but it still supports most basic things, including port forwarding/tunneling.
I'm looking to simplify my existing setup by substituting ssh in place of OpenVPN. If the same ssh exists in OEM firmware, is there a way to expose it? I searched and didn't find any binary "ssh", but I didn't look for "dropbear".

Dropbear (sshd) and OpenVPN serve different purposes - complementary perhaps, but different purposes.

Dropbear (sshd) and OpenVPN serve different purposes - complementary perhaps, but different purposes.
Yes. I was trying to keep it simple, but left out too much. I found a utility called sshuttle, that with ssh can act as proxy and use ssh encryption. Thus, I would not have to deal with the OpenVPN certs, setup, etc. I've not used it, so if I'm missing something I'm open to being corrected.

FWIW - OpenVPN is pretty straight forward to set up - and it works...

I'm looking to simplify my existing setup by substituting ssh in place of OpenVPN. If the same ssh exists in OEM firmware, is there a way to expose it? I searched and didn't find any binary "ssh", but I didn't look for "dropbear".

System -> Administration. Enable SSH for LAN + WAN there.

Looks like I need to upgrade firmware (3.0.0.4.378_9313). I was hesitating because I had to make a change (which did *not* document..) to the current OpenVPN config files (I recall it had something to do with keeping aligned with increased bits for encryption) which I think will be lost.

I was also thrown off track by some previous work referencing use of hidden menu items to enable ssh. Seems even if you enable the menu items its still disabled on my version.

Related to my overall effort, is it possible to install Python when using the OEM firmware?

OK. So this is going badly. I just updated to the newest firmware: 3.0.0.4.380_3264
I can see the new version shown at the top of the web interface. I can see the dandy new "App" that I am supposed to download to revolutionize my wireless networking world.

When I navigate to Administration->System, the page hasn't changed. I rebooted twice. "Enable Telnet" is still the only relevant option.

The release notes on the Asus website states: "- Changed SSH and Telnet default access interface."

I have seen screen shots of an (expanded) Administration page, but I just noticed that it is for the RT-AC66U. I have the RT-N66U.

What the heck?!

OK. So this is going badly. I just updated to the newest firmware: 3.0.0.4.380_3264
I can see the new version shown at the top of the web interface. I can see the dandy new "App" that I am supposed to download to revolutionize my wireless networking world.

When I navigate to Administration->System, the page hasn't changed. I rebooted twice. "Enable Telnet" is still the only relevant option.

The release notes on the Asus website states: "- Changed SSH and Telnet default access interface."

I have seen screen shots of an (expanded) Administration page, but I just noticed that it is for the RT-AC66U. I have the RT-N66U.

What the heck?!

Please stop cross posting between two or more threads. See my reply in your other thread.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!