What's new

Setting up a wireless AC Router as an Access Point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tc2311

Occasional Visitor
I'm considering upgrading to a AC router. I have the Fios Actiontec N-router (MoCA 1.1) mi424wr rev. 1 downstairs in the corner of a room connected to the room coax. Upstairs in my room I have a Actiontec wcb3000N dual-band wireless N-extender connected through my coax. via a 2-way splitter. (the other side to Fios set-top box)
On another thread, I was told a AC1900 router is the best bang for the money. I'm looking at Asus-rt-ac68u or 68p, Netgear r6400, 6900 or 7000, and the TP-Link Archer c7, c8, and c9.
I prefer to have the AC router upstairs in my room for increased range and speed.
How do I connect it to my network? Do I need a MoCA 1.1 or 2.0 adapter to connect it to a new third party router since my Fios router is MoCA 1.1?
My other option, maybe, is connecting a new router with ethernet to my existing Actiontec extender (only MoCA 1.1) and the extender has two Gig-E ports. I'm not sure if that's even doable w/o a MoCA adapter.
My primary Fios router is only MoCA 1.1, so even if I buy a MoCA 2.0 adapter to connect to a third party router in my room, won't everything revert to MoCA 1.1 since my router and extender are 1.1?
I hope there are some members who can help me out.

Last edited:
I have an AC68-R router connected as an AP to my FiOS router. All I did was connect ethernet to ethernet ports between the two routers, select Access Point mode on the Asus router and it works just fine. Remember that if you setup the guest network in AP mode it will not isolate your local LAN.

Thanks for your reply, whsbuss.
I don't think the wifi on the Actiontec has to be turned off, but I'm guessing that's how you set up your Asus as an AP.
Is it LAN to LAN connecting the Actiontec router to AC68-R? I'm not sure exactly what 'setting up the guest network in AP mode won't isolate your local LAN' means.

I have an AC68-R router connected as an AP to my FiOS router. All I did was connect ethernet to ethernet ports between the two routers, select Access Point mode on the Asus router and it works just fine. Remember that if you setup the guest network in AP mode it will not isolate your local LAN.

The isolation is not quite as black and white as you paint it. When I test my guest WiFi network running on the AC68 which I use as an AP I can't access my networked printer or my NAS. I can however, using my administrative password log into my primary router. Since I have what I consider a very secure password I consider this a minimum security risk. A so called guest could get to the log on screen of my router if they were in my home by plugging a device into an available Ethernet port.

If I thought I needed more security I would double NAT my guest network in front of my primary router.

Yes connecting to Actiontec in router mode with a different subnet will have a double NAT but it would isolate your local LAN.

The isolation is not quite as black and white as you paint it. When I test my guest WiFi network running on the AC68 which I use as an AP I can't access my networked printer or my NAS. I can however, using my administrative password log into my primary router. Since I have what I consider a very secure password I consider this a minimum security risk. A so called guest could get to the log on screen of my router if they were in my home by plugging a device into an available Ethernet port.

If I thought I needed more security I would double NAT my guest network in front of my primary router.

I connect my Asus 68R via gigabit ethernet to a LAN port on the Actiontec. As far as wireless on the Actiontec I disable that so to reduce interference on 2.4 ghz

Thanks for your reply, whsbuss.
I don't think the wifi on the Actiontec has to be turned off, but I'm guessing that's how you set up your Asus as an AP.
Is it LAN to LAN connecting the Actiontec router to AC68-R? I'm not sure exactly what 'setting up the guest network in AP mode won't isolate your local LAN' means.

If I get an Asus AC router I'd connect it via Gig E to either my AT router or AT extender as an AP. Not sure if there's a difference using either device. In addition to its wifi, I'd like to use the AP for print sharing, guest network. Not sure what other features I know enough about to use or need at this point on the AC-68R. What features on the Asus am I limited to, if any?

Yes connecting to Actiontec in router mode with a different subnet will have a double NAT but it would isolate your local LAN.

I connect my Asus 68R via gigabit ethernet to a LAN port on the Actiontec. As far as wireless on the Actiontec I disable that so to reduce interference on 2.4 ghz
It sounds like a third party router is a good option but the RT-AC68U is $175 +.
The Fios Quantum Gateway, AC 1750, can be found online anywhere from $120 to $150, but I'm sure the Asus is a better product. Any sense in going with it and just replacing the AT mi424wr rev. 1 as the main router?

It sounds like a third party router is a good option but the RT-AC68U is $175 +.
The Fios Quantum Gateway, AC 1750, can be found online anywhere from $120 to $150, but I'm sure the Asus is a better product. Any sense in going with it and just replacing the AT mi424wr rev. 1 as the main router?

I could but the Asus has been good for more than 2 years running stock and Merlin firmware.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!