What's new

Setup for a wifi net for 3 buildings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tekniqueman

New Around Here
I'm about to setup a wireless network to multiple addresses.
we can not link individual addresses / stairways with cables, so the 3 buildings must be connected wirelessly, users must also be able to connect up wirelessly.
At street level there are approx. 75 meters between the extremes, but there will be access with approx. 20-25 m intervals since there are 4 staircases to be covered. extremities are at ground level and middle points are up to fifth floor.
which gear would be good to use and how?
I'm looking at TP-Link's TL-WA901ND or D-Link's DAP-1522 as the right gear, but am I right?
Bonus info:
Internet access is at building 1 at the corner of the street.
the 3 staircases is located on the same side of the street, with an alley in between buildings 1 and 2.
the last and second outer entrance is on the opposite side of the road, diagonally across an intersection in building 3.
client%20location.jpg

outdoor equipment is not possible due to regulations, I have to keep it indoor. My idea was to place 2-4 APs in each staircase in building 2 (total 4-8 APs), and 1 AP in building 1 and 3.
At the moment I have a wifi-router in building 2 on fifths floor which I receive with 75 % signal in building 1 so I'm not so worried for the signals, it's more that I get the right gear, I mean if I use the TL-WA901ND how wil the throughput be from building 1 to 3 when the throughput has to go through at least 2 APs? :confused:

Last edited:
If you intend to build this network using WDS bridging/repeating, you will lose 50% throughput each time you pass through a repeater.

And that's 50% of received throughput, not maximum throughput.

outdoor equipment is not possible due to regulations, I have to keep it indoor.
Put a bridge in a window?

An AP by definition connects a LAN to WiFi medium and accepts WiFi clients. Usually, the LAN serving the AP has a high performance link to the router leading to the Internet (SOHO case). Sometimes, the LAN is produced by a wireless bridge.

A WiFi client bridge can associate to an AP. If you daisy-chain these, of course there's a latency increase, but these bridge links can be arranged on different WiFi RF channels to largely avoid the 50% per hop penalty that WDS yields.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online