What's new

Setup QoS for Wireless Access Point IP?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

drpat234

New Around Here
Can I get better overall performance/throughput to my Wireless N & AC clients by setting up QoS for my Wireless Access Point (AP) IP? My Internet provider is Verizon FiOS with the Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I Wireless N dual antenna router. I disabled the Wireless on the Actiontec router. Instead I connected an ASUS RT-AC68U with Cat6 to the Gigabit port on the Actiontec. The RT-AC68U is configured in AP Mode so all DHCP & NAT is done on the Actiontec. I made the AP's IP (192.168.1.129) Static on the Actiontec so it never changes.

Since all of my Wireless N & AC Clients IP traffic are going through my AP's IP (.129), would it be a good idea to configure QoS on the Actiontec for this IP? In the Actiontec -> Advanced -> QoS settings there are Input/Output Rules with settings for Wireless Access Point Rules. Should I add my AP's IP in this section? Any configuration advice/examples for the Actiontec would be greatly appreciated.

I doubt that will work. QoS on the actiontec is most likely a layer-3 service, which (I think) means only packets with a destination of 192.168.1.129 will have priority.

Beware using QoS without a good understanding of computer internetworking fundamentals. I had to read a lot to finally be able to implement QoS that would function as I expected. I had poor results with trial and error.

I would avoid using QoS for this particular situation, but if you want more guidance, just ask.

QoS as some folks consider, it traffic shaping to many AP's, so best approach is to do that there on the primary AP, not a router/AP in AP mode...

QoS as some folks consider, it traffic shaping to many AP's, so best approach is to do that there on the primary AP, not a router/AP in AP mode...
Doing that on my primary FiOS Router is the plan as described in my post since the RT-AC68U is in AP Mode and QoS can't be changed.

I doubt that will work. QoS on the actiontec is most likely a layer-3 service, which (I think) means only packets with a destination of 192.168.1.129 will have priority.

Beware using QoS without a good understanding of computer internetworking fundamentals. I had to read a lot to finally be able to implement QoS that would function as I expected. I had poor results with trial and error.

I would avoid using QoS for this particular situation, but if you want more guidance, just ask.
That makes sense. As I researched it more, the Wireless Access Point Rules in the Actiontec are for the built-in AP on the Actiontec and not an external AP. If I did any QoS it would be under the Network (Home/Office) Rules for the specific IP's I wanted to manage and not my AP IP. Thanks.

That makes sense. As I researched it more, the Wireless Access Point Rules in the Actiontec are for the built-in AP on the Actiontec and not an external AP. If I did any QoS it would be under the Network (Home/Office) Rules for the specific IP's I wanted to manage and not my AP IP. Thanks.

Right. The specific IP of the device requiring QoS.

An important fundamental fact of QoS is that any traffic that is prioritized causes other traffic to be deprioritized. So, QoS is most effective when prioritizing a very small amount of traffic, like VOIP (the most common reason for using QoS).

Prioritizing a majority of traffic is a misuse of QoS.