What's new

Should I updrade the old USB drive to a newer one for error-free when using AB-Solution and Skynet?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Quoc Huynh

Regular Contributor
Hi guys,

I am using an ASUS RT-AC68U with Merlin firmware 384.3, and have wonderful scripts running on it (FreshJR_QoS, AB-Solution and Skynet - the last two are installed on my Kingston 8GB USB 2.0 drive).

That USB drive is about 5 years old and mostly used for storing personal documents. As a result, it has not been under heavy workload in long-term. As I am going to be on work duty oversea for 1 year or more, I have to make sure the router run stably for my parents, who are not tech savvy at all. Therefore, may I have some questions:

- Should I upgrade to a newer USB 3.0 drive although my old stick shows no error on ASUS health scan and Windows error checking?
- If yes, can I just format the new one with the same label and ext2 partition type, and copy/paste all of the things from the former drive to it? Or do I have to install AB-Solution and Skynet from scratch?

Thank you in advance, guys!

Don't think there is heavy usage of USB storage and 8gb is more than enough for the router.
You can see if u can get a 8gb drive and do a sector to sector clone.
http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-Raw-Copy-Tool/

Of coz the other way is reinstall everything. Skynet recently have backup and restore function. So it should be easy especially when u have a lot of whitelist and blacklist.
Ab-Solution have the backup to email.

Copy/paste content of your existing drive onto a new one. Label both the same and set one aside for your parents to swap out should one make problems.

Don't think there is heavy usage of USB storage and 8gb is more than enough for the router.
You can see if u can get a 8gb drive and do a sector to sector clone.
http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-Raw-Copy-Tool/

Of coz the other way is reinstall everything. Skynet recently have backup and restore function. So it should be easy especially when u have a lot of whitelist and blacklist.
Ab-Solution have the backup to email.
Copy/paste content of your existing drive onto a new one. Label both the same and set one aside for your parents to swap out should one make problems.

Thank you so much @DonnyJohnny and @thelonelycoder. I will purchase a new USB drive and make it as a backup for my current one ;)

@DonnyJohnny: You are right, I really appreciate the backup function of AB-Solution and Skynet. Without them, I dare not to imagine how I can handle with my white and blacklist...

Have a lovely day, guys. And thank you again for your kindness ;)