What's new

Recommended USB Drive for Scripts

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

#TY

Do you guys have a preferred brand of USB drive to use on ASUS routers for all the scripts?

I'm currently using a Kingston USB 8GB Key and it's doing fine. It's a few years old though and I would like to have a more recent one handy in case this one decides to go bust unexpectedly one day.

I've read that SanDisk is a very reliable and high performing brand but I don't have much experience with it. I stumbled across this one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00812F7O8/?tag=smallncom-21

All feedback appreciated in case I'm not looking at the right thing. Thank you in advance :)

There is plenty of answers on this topic in the forums. I use a Sandisk Ultra Flair 16 GB thumb drive and it has performed great. Was able to get a good deal on eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sandisk quality in the micro flash drives is crap. Most of their tiny models overheat which leads to premature failure. The bulky ones work fine. (I would still avoid Sandisk as a company since apparently the company is okay releasing subpar products with their brand)

Samsung micro flash drives are good, and the full size ones generally perform way better than sandisk performance wise. (They also have a few metal cased modes that are even waterproof. Seems like they take flash drives more seriously and pay a lot more attention to detail)

Kingston used to be VERY reliable (probably better than Samsung’s early products, but I haven’t checked out recent products.)

EXT4 with Journaling turned on.
Great thanks.

To expand on that a little;
  • Save any important information/files from your jffs partition.
  • Format the USB drive on a computer to NTFS.
  • Enable the 'Format the jffs partition on next reboot'.
  • Reboot the router 3 times in the next 15 minutes, waiting for at least 5 to 10 minutes between reboots.
  • Install amtm to the jffs partition.
  • Insert the USB drive and using amtm 'fd' format the drive to Ext4 with journaling. Make sure to also Label the drive too.
  • After the router reboots, create using amtm 'sw' a swap file. I recommend the 2GB size.
  • Using amtm 'dc', enable the disk checker utility.
  • Reboot the router and make sure to check the disk checker log to ensure the USB drive 'passes'.
Okay, I expanded 'more than a little'. :)

To expand on that a little;
  • Save any important information/files from your jffs partition.
  • Format the USB drive on a computer to NTFS.
  • Enable the 'Format the jffs partition on next reboot'.
  • Reboot the router 3 times in the next 15 minutes, waiting for at least 5 to 10 minutes between reboots.
  • Install amtm to the jffs partition.
  • Insert the USB drive and using amtm 'fd' format the drive to Ext4 with journaling. Make sure to also Label the drive too.
  • After the router reboots, create using amtm 'sw' a swap file. I recommend the 2GB size.
  • Using amtm 'dc', enable the disk checker utility.
  • Reboot the router and make sure to check the disk checker log to ensure the USB drive 'passes'.
Okay, I expanded 'more than a little'. :)
Will do. Thank you for your input. :)

These past few years i've had good success with Patriot. Previously I used Kingston, however I had a couple of early failures with their more recent models - still have a bunch of older models that still work fine tho, although they are slow 2.0 drives.

Corsair were complete garbage, had an early failure rate over 50% for the brief period of time I bought some and also sold some to customers. Noticed afterward that online resellers like NCIX has a LOT of refurbished Corsair drives for sale - then I knew why...

Had two HP drives (rebranded PNY). Both died within less than a year.

These days it's getting harder and harder to find a reliable brand. Everyone is cutting corners somewhere and while these drives have come down considerably in price, going through a bunch of them over and over is a big waste of time and money. This thread should hopefully help narrow the shopping :)

Sandisk quality in the micro flash drives is crap. Most of their tiny models overheat which leads to premature failure. The bulky ones work fine. (I would still avoid Sandisk as a company since apparently the company is okay releasing subpar products with their brand)

Samsung micro flash drives are good, and the full size ones generally perform way better than sandisk performance wise. (They also have a few metal cased modes that are even waterproof. Seems like they take flash drives more seriously and pay a lot more attention to detail)

Kingston used to be VERY reliable (probably better than Samsung’s early products, but I haven’t checked out recent products.)
Haha well done me.
I bought a sandisk on Friday.......

Reactions: #TY
Would a spare SSD drive with a usb connector be ok?

If on a cable extension cord you could try the ADATA brand, I own way too many of this model ( like over 20): ADATA 32GB S102 Pro Advanced USB 3.0 Flash Drive, Speed Up to 100MB/s (AS102P-32G-RGY) https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211573

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005Y8C2IG/?tag=snbforums-20

These make good storage cases for those that have an overly large thumb drive collection:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Q06A76/?tag=snbforums-20

Last edited:
If on a cable extension cord you could try the ADATA brand, I own way too many of this model ( like over 20): ADATA 32GB S102 Pro Advanced USB 3.0 Flash Drive, Speed Up to 100MB/s (AS102P-32G-RGY) https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211573

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005Y8C2IG/?tag=snbforums-20

These make good storage cases for those that have an overly large thumb drive collection:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Q06A76/?tag=snbforums-20

I have a corsair ssd sata 3 drive from an old pc build with a special sata USB startech cable.
Used the cable to recover data when the pc died on me.
Drive was fine so have it reformatted for important storage.
Just wonder if its more suitable than a sandisk flashdrive which i bought the other day.
Dont want go spending more money atm

I have a corsair ssd sata 3 drive from an old pc build with a special sata USB startech cable.
Used the cable to recover data when the pc died on me.
Drive was fine so have it reformatted for important storage.
Just wonder if its more suitable than a sandisk flashdrive which i bought the other day.
Dont want go spending more money atm

If the drive has been solid so far, keep using it.
I would not have other stored important files on it for this purpose, dedicated single use only.
No reason not to use a SSD drive other than some may view it as a overkill/waste.