What's new

Signal Strength Deterioration - Advice/Help Requested

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stu

New Around Here
Hi all,

I'm a newbe here, so thanks in advance.

I have a two spaces in an office suite in an older building with tech company below me with oodles of wireless networks on which I assume they are sending big files. (I don't know if the latter is related to my problem, but it could be.)

My problem is that no matter what solution I have tried over the last 2 years, whenever I set something up to get a wireless signal into my back office, it works well for a couple of weeks and then the signal starts to weaken and then start periodically dropping out.

For reference here is a shot of the wireless environment from my main office, where the router is. GL-ASUS-5g is my main wireless network. GL-EXT-5g is the signal from my WAP that I am having issues with. My router is an ASUS RT-AC68U (GL-ASUS-5g). My WAP is a Cisco WAP300n (GL-EXT-5g). The WAP is hard wired to the router about 40 ft away and about 10 ft below.

Screen Shot 2015-04-30 at 11.53.19 AM.png

GL-EXT-5g's signal strength above is the highest it gets. About 30 minutes ago, it was varying from 29% to 0.
I have both GL-EXT-5g and GL-ASUS-5g on dedicated channels, and I have set the 5g signal of an office mate's router to a different channel. (As you can see the 2.4 spectrum is a mess; thus, even though I get a stronger signal when the WAP is set to 2.4g, the actual connectivity was awful).

Previously I tried using an ASUS EA-N66, first as a wireless bridge then as a hardwired WAP. I have also tried a netgear wireless bridge as well as a netgear wireless extender that plugs into the electrical wiring and utilizes that. The latter never worked at all, but all of the other configurations have yielded the same problems with which I am dealing now: good signal strength for a couple of weeks, then deterioration to point where signal goes in and out.

Any advice deeply appreciated. This has been a royal pain my tush.