What's new

Skynet Skynet IOT blocking / view blocked devices (should i be worried)?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Santie

New Around Here
Evening!

When mac-filtering Wi-Fi 5 Ghz band is off in webinterface router (Asus GT-AX6000 / firmware: Merlin 3004.388.4_beta3) it shows 200+ local connections in Skynet / view blocked IOT devices being made instantly. When mac-filtering Wi-Fi 5 Ghz band is on only the devices that should be connected are connected (see attachment mac filter off wifi / mac filter on wifi). When mac filter Wi-Fi 5 Ghz band is off Skynet / view blocked IOT devices shows local IP addresses / unblocked what accordingly to Skynet are connected to my router but my webinterface router logs do not show those connections being made nor am I able to ping or tracert those unknown local IP addresses in router terminal, storage server (Linux terminal), pc powershell. I limited my routers DHCP server to dhcp lease max 10 local IP adresses (192.168.50.10 until 192.168.50.20), so that is strange. Webinterface router logs are not showing something weird, linux storage server firewall (iptables) the same and my PC firewall (Windows defender) as well. For reasurance checked all my own devices connected to my router. Should I be worried?

My neighbour above uses my Wi-Fi ((Android phone and Chromecast) and neighbour next door a Chromecast connected using my Jellyfin server
(I try to be a good neighbour :)). Thought that was usefull information for I know people near me know my Wi-Fi password.

Thanks in advance, much appreciated!

Attachments

• mac filter off wifi.jpeg
    mac filter off wifi.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 133
  • mac filter on wifi.jpeg
    mac filter on wifi.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Might be time to change your password... LOL. :) If anyone does anything illegal that the authorities want to pursue, guess who's door they're knocking on first... and then try to explain away that it wasn't really you. Password sharing is not a good idea.

Last edited:
Evening!

When mac-filtering Wi-Fi 5 Ghz band is off in webinterface router (Asus GT-AX6000 / firmware: Merlin 3004.388.4_beta3) it shows 200+ local connections in Skynet / view blocked IOT devices being made instantly. When mac-filtering Wi-Fi 5 Ghz band is on only the devices that should be connected are connected (see attachment mac filter off wifi / mac filter on wifi). When mac filter Wi-Fi 5 Ghz band is off Skynet / view blocked IOT devices shows local IP addresses / unblocked what accordingly to Skynet are connected to my router but my webinterface router logs do not show those connections being made nor am I able to ping or tracert those unknown local IP addresses in router terminal, storage server (Linux terminal), pc powershell. I limited my routers DHCP server to dhcp lease max 10 local IP adresses (192.168.50.10 until 192.168.50.20), so that is strange. Webinterface router logs are not showing something weird, linux storage server firewall (iptables) the same and my PC firewall (Windows defender) as well. For reasurance checked all my own devices connected to my router. Should I be worried?

My neighbour above uses my Wi-Fi ((Android phone and Chromecast) and neighbour next door a Chromecast connected using my Jellyfin server
(I try to be a good neighbour :)). Thought that was usefull information for I know people near me know my Wi-Fi password.

Thanks in advance, much appreciated!

Skynet phrases info from the "ip neigh" command and attempts to make it a lot more digestible. As most of those connections don't have a MAC address listed they are probably just stale entries from a local device attempting to grab a local IP address.

Skynet phrases info from the "ip neigh" command and attempts to make it a lot more digestible. As most of those connections don't have a MAC address listed they are probably just stale entries from a local device attempting to grab a local IP address.
That was my first initial thought to since I am unable to ping nor tracert those local IP addresses and Skynet is not showing a mac address listed. Thanks for your reply :)

Last edited:
Might be time to change your password... LOL. :) If anyone does anything illegal that the authorities want to pursue, guess who's door they're knocking on first... and then try to explain away that it wasn't really you. Password sharing is not a good idea.
Well I cant disagree on that, hence the reason I try to regually check my logs for strange behavior / monitor traffic being made and don't see anything out of the ordinary there. I will keep an eye on it! Thanks for the reply's, much appreciated.

Well I cant disagree on that, hence the reason I try to regually check my logs for strange behavior / monitor traffic being made and don't see anything out of the ordinary there. I will keep an eye on it! Thanks for the reply's, much appreciated.
If you have nefarious neighbors, it would be childs play getting around your traffic/log monitoring. You may have really nice neighbors that just browse the news sites and listen to Pandora all day long... but perhaps they have kids, or other family members who are hitting the XXX sites, Darkweb or running ransomware attacks through a VPN... which could all lead back to you. Just want you to be aware and understand the risks. My $0.02. ;)

If you have nefarious neighbors, it would be childs play getting around your traffic/log monitoring. You may have really nice neighbors that just browse the news sites and listen to Pandora all day long... but perhaps they have kids, or other family members who are hitting the XXX sites, Darkweb or running ransomware attacks through a VPN... which could all lead back to you. Just want you to be aware and understand the risks. My $0.02. ;)
Thanks for the headsup, and I know enough ways how they could avoid being seen in the logs and what the potential risks are stated above :). I know my 2 neighbours well and only 1 actually knows my Wi-Fi password (phone and chromebox connected), the other neighbour only a chromebox. Also a reason I use mac filtering Wi-Fi only allowing mac adressess that are in the list. Thanks for the reply's.