What's new

Skynet Unable to Install Skynet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Undareth

Occasional Visitor
I've pored through the forum trying to find a solution. Unable to install Skynet.

This is error i get -
"chmod: /jffs/scripts/firewall: No such file or directory
Updated chart.js
Updated chartjs-plugin-zoom.js
Updated hammerjs.js
Updated skynet.asp"

"^[` Restarting Firewall Service To Complete Installation"

Followed by 'Skynet Installation Failed'.

So far I've
1) Cleared any custom DNS servers (Currently on default DNS [ISP])
2) Formatted the drive several times, and tried 'Format JFFS Partition on Boot"
3) Using the curl command for Skynet available on GitHub

And if i try access the /jffs/ partition i get permission denied. I Imagine the installer is trying to change permissions but the folder/file doesn't exist.
Another user had an issue with accessing one of the servers; That is the closest to this error.

Model is RT-AC86U

And if i try access the /jffs/ partition i get permission denied.
This is not a Skynet problem. There is something wrong with your jffs filesystem which has caused it to become read-only. Look in the router's System Log for clues.

Wow, I have the exact same problem, except mine is an RT-AC68U. I was just about to post the same message. I have also tried the same solutions. I can't find the file "firewall" in the "/jffs/scripts/firewall" folder. I am not sure if this is helpful, but there is a file named "firewall-start" in that same folder. In looking through the System Log, I see this several times:
Code:
Feb  1 16:39:36 rc_service: service 27104:notify_rc restart_firewall
Feb  1 16:39:36 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: restart firewall)
Feb  1 16:39:37 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/firewall-start (args: eth0)
If it helps any, I was able to install YazFi through amtm without any issues.

Last edited:
This is not a Skynet problem. There is something wrong with your jffs filesystem which has caused it to become read-only. Look in the router's System Log for clues.
Hi Colin,

Tried searching but to no avail. Cant find anything that correlates with issues relating to failures accessing /JFFS/ filesystem however admittedly I am very green at understanding anything related to network engineering; I'm just looking to leverage simple tools like Skynet, Diversion, etc.

I tried to install dnscrypt, installation failed as well. Similarly there was an issue of a 'missing file' alert in /jffs/scripts by the install script. However in this case the installer is able to create the file (init-start), so im unsure if this correlates.

If it helps I can load excerpts of the log.

Could this be because i am using the USB 2.0 slot?

Last edited:
There is something else here - any files of any size are written to the /jffs/scripts/ directory, but when you try to install Skynet, the system specifically deletes the firewall file. The system also deletes the file if it is manually copied to the directory /jffs/* or /tmp.

p.s. Updated 388.2_2 -> 388.6 did all sorts of resets, flashed it over the wire through the recovery utility. I flashed the factory firmware. Doesn't help - the file firewall is deleted by the system when trying to write.

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    68.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
@Undareth Perhaps there a two separate problems. Reboot the router and afterwards go to System Log - General Log and save the log file. Post the complete log file here or on pastebin.com so that we can take a look at it.

Wow fair enough haha, if its any consolation ive been going in circles with my limited understanding.

Did you any issues installing any other packages?

Same here, error Skynet installation failed

Brand new RT-AX88U-Pro with the latest WRT Merlin installed, first thing I did was (wanted to) install Skynet

Hi Colin,

Tried searching but to no avail. Cant find anything that correlates with issues relating to failures accessing /JFFS/ filesystem however admittedly I am very green at understanding anything related to network engineering; I'm just looking to leverage simple tools like Skynet, Diversion, etc.

I tried to install dnscrypt, installation failed as well. Similarly there was an issue of a 'missing file' alert in /jffs/scripts by the install script. However in this case the installer is able to create the file (init-start), so im unsure if this correlates.

If it helps I can load excerpts of the log.

Could this be because i am using the USB 2.0 slot?
I am using the USB 3.0 slot. No luck here, either.

There is something else here - any files of any size are written to the /jffs/scripts/ directory, but when you try to install Skynet, the system specifically deletes the firewall file. The system also deletes the file if it is manually copied to the directory /jffs/* or /tmp.

p.s. Updated 388.2_2 -> 388.6 did all sorts of resets, flashed it over the wire through the recovery utility. I flashed the factory firmware. Doesn't help - the file firewall is deleted by the system when trying to write.
That sounds like it might be overly aggressive behaviour of Asus' security daemon, asd. If you look in the /jffs/asd directory does it look like it was updated recently? But if that was the case then I would expect it to be deleting other user scripts as well.

If you're using stock firmware then this behaviour is probably to be expected.

Hmm... from my log

Code:
May  5 10:05:07 kernel: UBIFS (ubi0:0): UBIFS: mounted UBI device 0, volume 0, name "rootfs_ubifs", R/O mode
May  5 10:05:07 kernel: UBIFS (ubi0:0): LEB size: 126976 bytes (124 KiB), min./max. I/O unit sizes: 2048 bytes/2048 bytes
May  5 10:05:07 kernel: UBIFS (ubi0:0): FS size: 79486976 bytes (75 MiB, 626 LEBs), journal size 9023488 bytes (8 MiB, 72 LEBs)
May  5 10:05:07 kernel: UBIFS (ubi0:0): reserved for root: 0 bytes (0 KiB)
May  5 10:05:07 kernel: UBIFS (ubi0:0): media format: w4/r0 (latest is w4/r0), UUID 2BA8C626-8ED8-4F96-AFAC-B5EF314F910B, small LPT model
May  5 10:05:07 kernel: VFS: Mounted root (ubifs filesystem) readonly on device 0:12.

@ColinTaylor how is this problem solved?

@Undareth Perhaps there a two separate problems. Reboot the router and afterwards go to System Log - General Log and save the log file. Post the complete log file here or on pastebin.com so that we can take a look at it.

Hi Colin, Log attached. Similar to RAH-66 think i noticed this entry.

"May 5 18:05:08 kernel: UBIFS (ubi0:0): UBIFS: mounted UBI device 0, volume 0, name "rootfs_ubifs", R/O mode"

P.S I'm not sure why its showing 'May' for dates. Half the entries in my previous log had this weird date mismatch. After clearing the log and rebooting, new log still has this anomaly

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    333.9 KB · Views: 5
That sounds like it might be overly aggressive behaviour of Asus' security daemon, asd. If you look in the /jffs/asd directory does it look like it was updated recently? But if that was the case then I would expect it to be deleting other user scripts as well.

Clean firmware 388.6 without custom scripts

Attachments

• 2024-02-01_19-57-21.png
    2024-02-01_19-57-21.png
    29.8 KB · Views: 18

Yes, asd is wiping the firewall file seconds after download. Might be time for @Adamm to move it under /jffs/addons.

"May 5 18:05:08 kernel: UBIFS (ubi0:0): UBIFS: mounted UBI device 0, volume 0, name "rootfs_ubifs", R/O mode"
That's a normal message. I can't see anything in your log that indicates a problem with jffs. What did you mean by "if i try access the /jffs/ partition i get permission denied"?

How can you solve the problem now?
In theory, but not thoroughly tested.
Code:
mkdir /jffs/addons/skynet
/usr/sbin/curl -fsNL --connect-timeout 10 --retry 3 --max-time 12 https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Adamm00/IPSet_ASUS/master/firewall.sh -o /jffs/addons/skynet/firewall
chmod 755 /jffs/addons/skynet/firewall
ln -s /jffs/addons/skynet/firewall /jffs/scripts/firewall
sh /jffs/scripts/firewall
If you use this, you might have problems dealing with the next Skynet update, so be prepared to delete these files/links/directories manually:
Code:
rm -f /jffs/scripts/firewall
rm -rf /jffs/addons/skynet

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!