What's new

Slow internet speed throughput?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Vulnax

Occasional Visitor
If I connect my PC gigabit ethernet to my ADSL 2+ netgear modem I get 12.3 Mbps speed
Connecting via AC66U router gigabit port I get around 4 Mbps.

My ip profile from provider ( In UK, BT, on 20 Mbps circuit ) is 12.73 Mbps.
So loks fine direct to modem, BT say line is far as far as my master socket, but router output poor?

How / why is the router losing near 70% of my speed?

There are 2 PCs wired via gigabit ethernet, 1 printer via ethernet, and 2 or 3 PCs via Wifi ( using 2 x N adaptors, but get near 300 mbps rates ).

In summary I get loads lower speed going thru the router than just thru the ADSL modem.

Any help with config? Known Issues?

I was on Asus .270 firmware but just flashed and tried Merlins .270.24 firmware.

Thanks

No Ideas?

I just swapped out the AC66U for a cheap TP Link item and geuss what ... internet throughput is back where it should be, around 11.73 Mbps against the new IP Profile of 12.3 ( as I just swapped over adsl 2+ modems and it's been on about 2 hours so not trained up yet! ).

So has my Acc66U had it?

Only 2 months old so do I RMA ??

Cheers

To test, try:

Disabling the firewall
Disable QOS if enabled
Test w/ wired from at least 2 ports & Wireless
Verify both settings are off on the LAN Settings / Switch Control tab

Clone the MAC address from your previous router to the ASUS, to do so go here and the last option on the bottom "Special Requirement from ISP" enter your old routers MAC (usually found on the bottom of the device)
http://your_routers_ip/Advanced_WAN_Content.asp

If you hadn't previously used a wireless router on your modem (if its brand new) try cloning the MAC of the ADSL modem itself.

Good luck

Hi,

I'll have a go at changing those setings.

I have previously gone back to factory defaults, tried QOS on and off, and 3 of the ports are in use ( 2 PCs and 1 printer ) the PCs giving the same slow speed internet ( using BTWholesale speedtest and diagnostic ).

Wifi speed was fine although the internet speed via wifi was very similar to the wired PCs.

Hadn;t tried cloning the MAC adreses, may be worth a go!

The TP-link, brand new all in one ( a cheap spare I got couple of years ago! ) is brand new, set up in 2 minutes and voila it got the full internet via wired and wifi.

Only N wifi, not gigabyte ethernet ports, few features but worked way betterthan the AC66U !

Back to play with settings...

Still poor internet throughput into / out of NEW RT-AC66U router...

OK, so I had tried .270 and Merlins firmwares, changed settings as above and more.

IP Profile 13.51, ADSL modem sats 14900 d/load,
I got 12.53 from a cheap TP-link router.
Got between 5.6 and 7.1 mbps on the Asus AC.
Thats again on a gigabit ethernet cat 6 wired connection.

No issue with Wifi. Although obv the internet speed is slow!

This is a new Asus AC router, sent the other one backto BT Shop under RMA as failed, and as Asus support could not help!
Why near full speed on a cheap router and 1/2 that on the Asus AC ??

Using Asus .354 firmware now while I set up / try it out, going to .27 Merlins later on to try.

Any other ideas?

Ohh yeah, on traffic monitor I never get the graph ( just a piece of code with a <<endif>> then the 2 line table.
Ideas?

Still no luck

The 2nd Asus RT-AC66U has same problem as the first ... as above.
{Upload speed seems fine .. }

Arrived Saturday morning, set up by 10 am. Speed - 7.6 mbps ( line is 21 mbps, IP profile is 13.15 mbps ).

Midafternoon speed around 4 mpbs
By midnight was around 2-3 mbps
Sunday morning - 1.5 - 2.5 mbps.

This is by cat 6 cabled Gigabit Ethernet on 2 PCs, ( and also shows same readings / slow on wifi ).
Measured on my ISP's BT Wholesale speet test, that they use to id problems.
ISP says line fine.

Plug PC direct into netgear ADSL2+ modem, get over 12.5 mbps.
Set up modem router - a cheap TP link, get 12.5 mbps.

Plug into Asus, get this slow and faling rate .

Why the difference into ( ex WAN ) and out ( to LAN ) from the Asus router?

Asus support just said to reset router.

I flashed Asus .354 firmware, then reset NVram.
Still slow.
Flashed the Merlin .354.27 firmware, reset again etc.

Slow as a slow thing, being overtaken by snails with caravans!

Any help welcome!
It's going back for refund this week if can't get it sorted.

asusspeedtests_zps82727429.jpg
[/IMG]

Are you in bridge mode?

What is the name / specs of your modem?

That you get the same scenario with 2 different AC-RT66U's seems to suggest the router isn't the problem.

Hi,

It's a Netgear DM111P v2.0 ADSL2+ modem.

It's not a modem/router in bridge mode, although in it's GUI it does day bridged.

It sees pretty much the full ADSL speed as per the IP profile, and if I plug the PC into it to the gigabit port the PC gets near as much speed as the modem alone.

The losses occur within the Asus router.

If I replace the modem with the cheap TP link W8960N I get full speed.

I tried an experiment - use the TPlink as the modem in bridge mode, plug it into Asus router WAN port.
AND to plug my wired PC into TP link.

1st mode - small if any improvement to the wired clients speed, about 3 mbps.
BUT when plugging my PC into the TP link my PC got full speed.

Interestingly the wifi clients also got full speed!

Dunno if this is long term solution, as not sure if both devices are acting as DCHP etc. - they do seem to be both on std IP address!!

Bit confused.. when I put Asus into AP mode, it said it would change it's IP address, but only changed my PC's subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 ... so not on same network and could not talk to asus router! Reset needed.

As said earlier, just swapping to TPlink all clients get full speed, just a bit flaky Wifi and obv slower at 150 .

Try adjusting the MTU since you use ADSL. Try 1480 or 1472 just to see if it makes a difference.

I don't know if this helps you, but I am on DSL using a TP-Link TD-8817 modem and my performance improved when I put the modem in bridge mode.

MTU on the RT-AC66U is set to 1492.

Last edited:
Hi again,

Modem set to 1480 MTU, Asus set to same.

Went up to 5.3 mbps.

Not sure if it just it doesn't like ADSL feeds?

Ordered a 8817 modem in case it's something to do with the Netgear modem.

I'll have a more thorough play when no one else is wanting to use the internet!

In the meantime, bought a edimax router, plugged in and immediate 12.6 mbps internet throughput, very obvious improvement on Sky on demand and anti virus update downloads.

So definitely nothing wrong with the PC / laptop / PS3 / Sky settings, just the Asus router.

The old cheap tp-link also gave 11.3 mbps, again confirming nothing wrong with the network / clients, just the switch performance of the Asus.

It will probably be going back to the retailer this week.

Not entirely sure yet but I believe I might be experiencing the same issue.

WiFi has been great but needed to "direct connect" from PC to AC66 and things slowed to a crawl. PC is getting proper IP.

AC66 firmware 354, Win 8-64 bit, D-Link 2540B ADSL in bridge mode. Other hardwired to AC66 connections (NAS, Sonos, Printer) seem fine.

Update -

Isolated my problem to downstream of AC66. I couldn't even get simple Router Admin link to load, ADSL not involved.

Appears to have been defective PC to Router cable. Sorry...

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!