What's new

Slow Speeds on Cisco WAP581

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sooo I just tested out the AX200 and WOW
554Mbps Down and 455Mbps UP on the Cisco
BUT on the Arris I get 510Mbps down and 550Mbps up. Not sure why the Cisco doesn't go as fast on the upload side.

Will continue testing and waiting for the Cisco power adapter and bypass the Trendnet and as the range of the Cisco is still crappy.

So it looks like the issue is the WPA581 5Ghz signal strenght is garbage. Waiting to get the offical Cisco SB-PWR-48V Power Adapter and test again to confirm.

Like I said since you like the AT&T wireless you should just buy AT&T extenders and save money. 550 down and 450 sounds OK to me for 80Mhz. Are you running the latest AX200 drivers?

Would you upload a picture so we can see the connections on the AP and router?

I saw another thread on here with an ASUS person complaining of low throughput on an ASUS connected to an AT&T BGW210 modem.

You never did answer whether the Trendnet power supply is version 2?

Can you run DSLReports again?

You also sound like you are not interested in running the Cisco WAP581 that is why I keep recommending the AT&T wireless. I run the Cisco WAP581 APs and I never reboot them. I never have weird problems with our Apple devices or Windows 10 devices. I run 24/7 2 security cameras. I use Apple HomeKit on my AppleTV for controlling light switches 24/7. They have a schedule the lights run on. WiFi calling works well with Apple phones and roaming across the WAP581 APs which a lot of wireless devices have trouble roaming Wi-Fi. The Cisco WAP581 APs just run in the back ground with never a problem so I don't see how you can get much better.

Last edited:
other possibility is the default power setting for the radio ?

I have tried High and Medium with no difference.

Like I said since you like the AT&T wireless you should just buy AT&T extenders and save money. 550 down and 450 sounds OK to me for 80Mhz. Are you running the latest AX200 drivers?

Would you upload a picture so we can see the connections on the AP and router?

I saw another thread on here with an ASUS person complaining of low throughput on an ASUS connected to an AT&T BGW210 modem.

You never did answer whether the Trendnet power supply is version 2?

Latest version of the AX200 driver installed.
When I get home I'll upload some photos of the network, signal strength, etc

The Trendnet powersupply is version 2.0R

I do want to run the WAP581 but I'm disapointed in the 5Ghz Range. I do not want the AT&T extenders as they are not Ethernet Backhaul and won't run on POE. I need a system that works on the ceiling using POE only.
I hope it is a power issue, going to try the power adapter when it arrives Thursday (according to Amazon).

I may need your help on setting up the WPA581 on a cluster with 4 devices.

Last edited:
The first two images are from Wifi Explorer Pro on my Macbook Pro 2012 Retina which has a 802.11N card. The other 3 photos are from NetSpot using a Dell with AX200 card.

Wifi Explorer - Macbook 1.png
Wifi Explorer - Macbook 2.png
Wifi Explorer - Macbook 1.png
Wifi Explorer - Macbook 2.png
Netspot - AX200 - 1.jpg
Netspot - AX200 - 2.jpg
Netspot - AX200 - 3.jpg

I run 802.11ac on the AX200 drivers under Windows 10 not 802.11ax. The default is 802.11ax. Plus I set 5 Ghz as the preferred band.

You know if you have 3 people or devices trying to run 550 down and 450 Mbps your 1 gig connection is not going to work. You will need to use the 2.5 gig port on the Cisco WAP581 AP. If it is all internet traffic then you will hit the internet wall as well.

I run 802.11ac on the AX200 drivers under Windows 10 not 802.11ax. The default is 802.11ax. Plus I set 5 Ghz as the preferred band.

You know if you have 3 people or devices trying to run 550 down and 450 Mbps your 1 gig connection is not going to work. You will need to use the 2.5 gig port on the Cisco WAP581 AP. If it is all internet traffic then you will hit the internet wall as well.

How do set the AX200 to use 802.11ac not 802.11ax? I already set the band to 5Ghz.

I agree with you on the 1G but eventually I will have 4 x WPA581 devices. So hopefully everyone wouldn't connect to the same ap.

I just went to the new house with both laptops running Netspot and Wifi explorer....I checked the rooms in all 4 corners of the house on 2nd floor, 1st floor and basement.
Detected = ZERO 5Ghz devices and 4x 2.4Ghz with MAXIMUM signal at -87dB... So virtually I have the entire 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz to myself :)

Coxhaus = Tried that and no difference on my end.

I got the Cisco SB-PWR-48V. Took out the Trendnet POE and connect the WPA581 directly to the modem on the same 1000port. Trying to keep things consistent and plugged in the Cisco Power Adapter...
Doesn't seem to be a difference. The max speed seems to be slower and signal strenght is 2db less...
Going to try some more tests shortly but right now this elimates the possiblity of the POE causing the low range.

... Any ideas?

So is it possible the AT&T wireless is that good? 550 down on a 866 connect seems like a good speed. Which in the big picture is not possible to maintain in a multi-user environment with a 1 gig internet speed. If you are looking for local server access then you need to jump to multi-gig 2.5 port speed switch for the Cisco WAP581 AP. I think download speed is more important than upload as you will download a lot more than you will upload.

I am also curious as to how he plans to setup a guest VLAN since AT&T does not support VLANs. I have no idea if he is using a trunk port or access port on the WAP581. There is no setup information. I would use something like a Cisco SG350-10MP to drive the Cisco wireless WAP581 APs setup as a L3 switch. Cisco has just released their CBS350 switches which I am excited about but I have no experience with them. There may be a better choice in the new switches.

Last edited:
So is it possible the AT&T wireless is that good? 550 down on a 866 connect seems like a good speed. Which in the big picture is not possible to maintain in a multi-user environment with a 1 gig internet speed. If you are looking for local server access then you need to jump to multi-gig 2.5 port speed switch for the Cisco WAP581 AP. I think download speed is more important than upload as you will download a lot more than you will upload.

I am also curious as to how he plans to setup a guest VLAN since AT&T does not support VLANs. I have no idea if he is using a trunk port or access port on the WAP581. There is no setup information. I would use something like a Cisco SG350-10MP to drive the Cisco wireless WAP581 APs setup as a L3 switch. Cisco has just released their CBS350 switches which I am excited about but I have no experience with them. There may be a better choice in the new switches.

The WAP581 doesn't need a Cisco switch to drive it. That is the mean reason i got it, I run it as a straight app. It should be able to run up to 16 configured WAP581 devices.

Cisco will tell you to do a factory reset.
If that doesn't clear it, have them RMA it.

I have 4 identical WPA581's and they all have shirtty wifi 5Ghz range.

For fun I tried to mess with the power settings and it is directly correlated to the speed. You think we can push the power higher?

Low 12% = Speed 336/223 = -61 Signal
Medium 25% = Speed 349/247 = -58 Signal
High 50% = Speed 356/270 = -55 Signal
Full 100% = Speed 385/305 = -53 Signal

I never said you had to have a Cisco switch. I recommended a Cisco POE+ switch which will power all 4 Cisco WAP581 APs. This will save you buying POE+ injectors. I also said in the earlier I setup my daughter's house with Cisco APs running off an AT&T router you just forgot. So what are you going to buy next? I doubt it will run better than the Cisco APs unless you spend a lot of money. Wait till you setup 4 units. You will want the Cisco APs back when you try configure them all to run together with roaming.

PS
Why do you keep missing the point that you don't have enough internet bandwidth to run multi-user at those high speeds.

Last edited:
I never said you had to have a Cisco switch. I recommended a Cisco POE+ switch which will power all 4 Cisco WAP581 APs. This will save you buying POE+ injectors. I also said in the earlier I setup my daughter's house with Cisco APs running off an AT&T router you just forgot. So what are you going to buy next? I doubt it will run better than the Cisco APs unless you spend a lot of money. Wait till you setup 4 units. You will want the Cisco APs back when you try configure them all to run together with roaming.

PS
Why do you keep missing the point that you don't have enough internet bandwidth to run multi-user at those high speeds.

Thank you. I already purchased 4x POE+ Injectors.

I'm happy with 1000mbit internet bandwidth. I am honestly just annoyed that I will not be able to get more than 300mbits on wifi with the Cisco WPA581 AP setup. I will be putting 1x WPA581 in the center of each floor on the ceiling (Basement, Main Floor and 2nd Floor) + One in the garage wall to get some wifi signal outside.
So if I'm sitting right under the router I can get 500mbits but if I go to the corner bedroom I probably won't hit more than 300mbits... Yes there might be 5 kids watching netflix at 4k and then my internet is the limit but the fastest internet connection I can buy is 1000mbits.
Also the current multi-user setup will be comprised of two adults and 1 dog for the next 3+ years....lol

I do like the idea of replacing the 4 POE's with 1 Cisco switch. I have to see the range of the current WPA581 with POE before i put any more money into it.

Also I'm not impressed with Cisco's support. After calling them, they set me up with a tech that is emailing me at a speed of 1email per 24hrs with the most basic questions. Example: "Can you unplug the Cisco WPA581 from the power wait 5 minutes then reverse the CAT 6 cable end to end then try again"... I forwarded that email to my IT for entertainment purposes. My response was Thank you, I have also tested 8 different CAT 6 cables from 3 different manufacturers with the same results as per my prior email but I will try reversing them to follow your procedure.

I just don't think you understand networking. 5 kids watching 4k TV is not going to break your internet pipe. A 4k TV stream is only about 25Mbps. So for all 5 4K users you will only be a little over 100Mbps not even close to 1000Mbps. Most internet sites will not provide you 500Mbps download speeds. When you actually setup all 4 WAP581 APs in 4000sqft you are going to have to turn the power down in the 2.4Ghz range as the signal strength will be too strong and there will be too much over lap. It will need to be balanced to the 5Ghz signal. And this will be with any brand APs you run. Having 4 APs is going to be very fast since each AP will have it's own channel and switch port. It will more difficult to setup because of channel over lap. My thinking is you don't really have the expertise to set these up and this is something you have not done before. Have you thought about hiring somebody? I think you are worrying to much. I think you have bought a very good system and it will work well. What really needs to be done now is for all 4 units to be put in place for testing to see if your roaming works with your placement. I recommend try using Wi-Fi calling for testing. Call a person on 1 AP while you are on another AP and try roaming to the AP the other person is on. See if you lose words while talking.

PS
Just to put it into perspective, is you could run around 50 4K TVs streaming separate channels on a gig internet pipe. Not all 4K TV is 25Mbps, some is a little less.

If they all ran the same channel then you could set up multicast streaming on your switch and you would be back to 25Mbps.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!