What's new

Small Business or Home Router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

andyp421

New Around Here
Hi,

I'm currently using an aging Netgear WNDR3700 (v2 I think) and I'm considering swapping for something with a little more power because we are slowly ramping up the devices on our network (c40 now) and need to get a bit more throughput for concurrent HD streaming etc.

I don't need the wireless on the WNDR and have separate WAPs so I've been looking on SNB to get an idea of what to change to and I've found something I'm not sure about.

I've been looking at the routers meant for small business and those made more for home users but I'm not sure if there is a difference. Some of the more business focused routers (like the Cisco RV180) seem to have good "scores" in the SNB tests but then so does the Netgear WNDR4500. So, could anyone explain to me what the pros and cons are of upgrading to (for example) a small business router/firewall such as the Cisco RV180 or even the TP-Link ER6120 as opposed to just replacing the Netgear with a newer model like the WNDR4500? Or would it not really be obvious in terms of day to day operation of the router?

Thanks in advance
Andy

Last edited:
I own both the Cisco RV180 and the TP-Link TL-ER6120 routers. I run the ER6120 router. I bought the Cisco RV180 first when they came out but Cisco has not been able to fix the Access Control List in the unit. I don't want to run a router without ACLs.

rather than MAC address ACLs... a multi-employee small business should have a RADIUS authentication server - on the same machine as the file and email server. Not sure what the # employees threshold is for this.

any business should avoid WiFi except if designed and configured by a professional - to assuredly avoid compromise of company and client/customer records.

ACLs on a router for me are for controlling access from the outside world, not for authentication so I don't know how a radius server would help me. I want to be able to block 16 million IP addresses with one ACL. You block one class A address and you blocked 16 million addresses.
PS
There is no Wi-Fi on these routers.

Last edited:
I guess I should have said I usually maintain blocks for 100 million or more IP addresses on my router at any one time. I want it to be the least amount of lines of code to maintain. ACls are my preferred way to do it. I also control DNS access through my router. I setup on my router which DNS server I will allow. If you use my router then you have to use my preferred DNS. This also is controlled through ACLs.
I have never used MAC ACLs for access to Wi-Fi as it seems like too much management. Of course this has nothing to with these routers as they do not contain WI-Fi. I hope this explains it better.

ACLs on a router for me are for controlling access from the outside world, not for authentication so I don't know how a radius server would help me. I want to be able to block 16 million IP addresses with one ACL. You block one class A address and you blocked 16 million addresses.
PS
There is no Wi-Fi on these routers.
I misunderstood. I thought you meant MAC addresses on the LAN/WiFi. I have China's main block on my blocked-list- not to stop the true bad-guys, but to stop the port scanning from zillions of virus-infected PCs over there.

Thanks for the replies, so I should at the very least consider a router with some kind of access control but ... what I was looking for was a bit more of a generic answer as to the key differences between a "small business" router and a "home" one . ie is the WNDR4500 any "better" in terms of performance than the TP-Link?

A small business router seems, for me, to have much the same functionality as a home one (access control aside maybe) and I understand that model to model some things will be different but if I had the TP Link installed would I see anything different to the use of the Netgear on a day to day basis. I'm presuming not but then I don't know if I am missing some key thing that would differentiate them? ie does a small business router usually have a better processor, more RAM, etc than the equivalent home router?

It's probably not that simple and each router simply has to be reviewed independently like it's shown on SNB but ...... :confused:

Cheers
Andy

Typically small business routers are built to a little higher standard than a home router. There is a fine line there now. SMB routers are built for stability because a business cannot afford down time. Downtime cost money. I want my router to run until the power company gets it or I have to make a change. I deal with enough network issues I do not want a “bad router” to compound my troubles. If a router is not stable for me I get rid of it. This is my number one rule. Everything else is secondary.
I have never run a WNDR4500 router so I cannot help you with this router.

Thanks for the replies, so I should at the very least consider a router with some kind of access control but ... what I was looking for was a bit more of a generic answer as to the key differences between a "small business" router and a "home" one . ie is the WNDR4500 any "better" in terms of performance than the TP-Link?

A small business router seems, for me, to have much the same functionality as a home one (access control aside maybe) and I understand that model to model some things will be different but if I had the TP Link installed would I see anything different to the use of the Netgear on a day to day basis. I'm presuming not but then I don't know if I am missing some key thing that would differentiate them? ie does a small business router usually have a better processor, more RAM, etc than the equivalent home router?

It's probably not that simple and each router simply has to be reviewed independently like it's shown on SNB but ...... :confused:

Cheers
Andy

Spend the money wisely and get the business enterprise router from TP-LINK which is better buy then buy anything else. You want to get the best for your money for now the ER6120 is right choice. Spending hundreds and hundreds every year on home routers are called SO/HO instead get SMB ones.

We all can advise you to get what we use and I use this router also. If you need WiFi get your hands ESR600H to go with the ER6120. That's all you need and if you need more ports get the JetStream business manage switch from TP-LINK. Again I use all 3 for my needs and running smooth. That's how it should be smooth.

Why worry about weak WiFi overheating routers poor firmware and I can go on and on..

Put your money where it can get you something even better! ;)

Hey tipstir,

Did you upgrade your firmware on your ER6120 router? It is real easy. I did not have to reenter any information just did the upgrade and all was good.

Hey tipstir,

Did you upgrade your firmware on your ER6120 router? It is real easy. I did not have to reenter any information just did the upgrade and all was good.

No not yet, because my network is so busy here...

But later when I have free downtime to do it.. The image is old (shown is the ER5120) but I use it when I got the ER6120 and then later on the matching Jetstream Managed Switch from TP-LINK

I use a ACER ASPIRE Netbook to upgrade the Firmware on both Router and Switch. You can also use the included console cable via serial port and telnet. Whichever way you feel like doing it.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/487779_10151006820932949_167690160_n.jpg

Business Router can't just upgrade it over the LAN you have to go directly into the the device.

Netbook LAN port to LAN port 1 on the ESR6120. Make sure you backup your configuration on the ESR6120 prior.

I upgraded my router over the LAN it worked fine. I have always upgraded routers over the LAN. The only time I have used a cable is when they are bricked