What's new

Small house router and AP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Andrew911tt

Occasional Visitor
Hello All,

Overview
I live in a 1089 sq-ft house and have wired it with many cat 6 runs that all go back to my structural wire closet. I have a 12 port punch panel in there where 7 runs go to a Cisco SG200-08 and 3 go to a Dlink 655 router (with the wireless turned off). I then have a Linksys E3000 set up as a AP in my bedroom where it also works as a switch. I have about 10 things that are on the wired connection and wireless consist of 2 laptops, 4 android devices, and a kindle

Problem
After running for about 8 months with no problems, lately I have been running into the situation where The Dlink 655 and the Linksys E3000. need to be reset.

I am thinking about replacing those two devices, are there any recommendation for replacement hardware, or a better what to setup my network.

I would like to stay under $300 total for the replacements and because my house is so small wireless reach is not that big of a deal for me. The most important thing is the stability.

I'd suggest that you provide more symptoms and we'll help you troubleshoot. Rather than just dumping the lot. It could also be the DHCP between your router and your ISP's modem; this is a frequent problem.

All you need is two things:

Wired Router
TL-ER6120 $197.30

Wireless AP/Router (recommend to use AP)
ESR600H $89.99

Shipping the router is $12 bucks before total $287.29

Since you already have everything else. This is what I use. I know others will ring in but the above works.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=47072&postcount=3

Note this is just another option. DIR-655 I use to have that. What you have describe I've gone though that many times. Just some network gear just doesn't work right as you expect. I know we all here can only give our experiences and knowledge with these devices. If your network working fine you can just keep on resetting your boxes or just replace them with hardware you don't have to reset.

Hello All,

Overview
I live in a 1089 sq-ft house and have wired it with many cat 6 runs that all go back to my structural wire closet. I have a 12 port punch panel in there where 7 runs go to a Cisco SG200-08 and 3 go to a Dlink 655 router (with the wireless turned off). I then have a Linksys E3000 set up as a AP in my bedroom where it also works as a switch. I have about 10 things that are on the wired connection and wireless consist of 2 laptops, 4 android devices, and a kindle

Problem
After running for about 8 months with no problems, lately I have been running into the situation where The Dlink 655 and the Linksys E3000. need to be reset.

I am thinking about replacing those two devices, are there any recommendation for replacement hardware, or a better what to setup my network.

I would like to stay under $300 total for the replacements and because my house is so small wireless reach is not that big of a deal for me. The most important thing is the stability.

if it's been running fine - time to think about WallWarts/Power Supplies - less that $20USD to fix things there...

I have found that the Linksys E3000 set up as a AP was most definitely a problem. I have removed it and now all I have is the Dlink 655.

I am thinking that I want to get the Amped Wireless AP20000G I like that it is a access point and not a router made to act as an access point and is simultaneous duel band.

The router I think that I want is the TP-LINK TL-ER6020 but thanks to LuMax I have been introduced to the Ubiquiti Edge Router Lite.

Is there any pros or cons to going with one or the other?
Is there a better AP that has those features for that price?

you're only covering 1000 sq ft on a single plane - any consumer grade router can handle that... don't get too exotic, go for simple on the wifi side....

I agree with the above.. .if the house is one-story, and does NOT have lath-and-plaster walls (but rather, drywall), you shouldn't need an access point. This assumes the WiFi router is not located poorly, that is, "buried" RF-wise.

I am not worried about the signal coverage, I just want a very stable system that is not going to have any problems.

I had the AP20000G access point but I returned it and got the Amped Wireless R20000G router (I had the netgear as a router only cuz I wanted modular solution... but I changed my mind and I needed to consolidate is the reason)

I don't have a huge house (1800 sq ft 4BR 2BA) but I have some tricky walls and my old Netgear WGR614 had trouble downstairs and on the back porch. That's why I got it.... I got tired of youtube buffering everywhere!!! It's been very stable for me.... It was also really easy to setup and configure as well. it also has USB storage as well... sometimes it's a little slow but for most people that should be ok for them.

The AP20000G was fantastic though. It should be good enough for most houses. had it going for 2 months without a single problem. I barely had to even think about it. it just sat off doing it's thing while we did ours....

Remixedcat I am so happy to hear that.

I decided to pull the trigger yesterday so it will be here sometime this week.

I also bought a new modem, the Motorola SB6141. (Mom needed a cable modem so I sold her mine and bought the docsis 3 awesomeness) When I was on the phone with the Cox people they told me that the new Moto 6141 modems have been super stable and they are not having any problems with them. So that made me happy.

Now all I have to do is decide what router I want to use.

Debating if I want to go with the TP-Link ER6020 or stay with the DLink or find something else.

Originally, my cableCo didn't permit customer-purchased modems. They do now. But I prefer to let them own it, which might cost a few dollars a month. But when there's problems, they can't finger-point.

Plus, they convinced me to go with an Aris (sp?) phone+ethernet modem all-in-one. Previously, I used two boxes for conservatism on the phone service. I must say, phone and ISP have been surprisingly very reliable for a long time.