What's new

SMB Login and Permissions Problem with 384

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thorton

Regular Contributor
AC87U. Right after doing totally clean upgrade to 384 (settings reset before upgrade, new firmware upload, settings reset again, deletion and re-installation of entware) I experience problems with SMB and file permissions. Upgraded to 384.2 yesterday, but problem remains. Here are the problems:

1. Can't login to SMB via Windows Explorer anymore using root username. It displays a message that password is invalid, even if I can login to router admin panel and SSH using the same login credentials. Deleted login credentials from Windows, restarted both router and PC for multiple times - no luck. The only way to login to SMB is to create an additional user via Network Place (Samba) Share section in router.

2. Can't copy/move/rename files downloaded by Transmission (which is running on router) via Windows Explorer anymore. Trying to perform any of these actions displays an error about lack of permissions. Of course, permissions are set to R/W in router. However, I give this error only for files downloaded via Transmission. If I copy files from my PC to router, I can rename/delete them fine. I can also rename directories (created by Transmission). However, renaming files inside them - fail.

I know it's not a Windows problem because problem started on 3 Android phones (who I also use to login to SMB) right after upgrade too. No single phone can connect as root anymore, and renaming/deleting files display Access Denied message.

Update:

After playing for another 30 minutes, I found the login problem is caused by password. I changed main user password after upgrade to 384, and it looks that was it. I found that if password looks like xxx@$!xxx (where xxx is any number of any symbols), it only works for admin GUI and SSH. Once I change @$! into @x! via router (and update password on Windows/Android clients accordingly) it starts working. Change it back to @$! and SMB stops working right away.

Did it 6 times now (trying with @$! and @x!) with all Windows/Android clients, and results were always the same - SMB login only works with @x!

Can someone please check/confirm this on their router?