What's new

SMBv1 vs SMBv2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nikkoaki

Occasional Visitor
I'm sorry if these questions were already answered, i browsed a bit but couldn't find what i really want to know.

I have a rather slow USB flash drive connected to the router.. either that or it's the router's fault because the cpu sticks to 100% when writing (at around 8.5MB/s) and 90% when reading (around 12MB/s).. anyway, using SMBv1 or SMBv2 get's me the same speeds and the same cpu utilization.

What i really wanted to know is if my network is really compromised if i instead used SMBv1 and why? Assuming that i trust every device in my network, is it still at risk? And what's exactly at risk, the router itself? Doesn't firmware 380.66_4 mitigate this by fixing CVE-2017-7494?

Also, every time i upload something to the same USB flash drive, the router's ram usage increases from 15% to 75% and will never drop again unless i reboot, is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

I have a rather slow USB flash drive connected to the router.. either that or it's the router's fault because the cpu sticks to 100% when writing (at around 8.5MB/s) and 90% when reading (around 12MB/s).. anyway, using SMBv1 or SMBv2 get's me the same speeds and the same cpu utilization.
That sounds about right for a USB flash drive. Plug it into a PC and try copying some files to see if the speeds are the same.

What i really wanted to know is if my network is really compromised if i instead used SMBv1 and why? Assuming that i trust every device in my network, is it still at risk? And what's exactly at risk, the router itself? Doesn't firmware 380.66_4 mitigate this by fixing CVE-2017-7494?
That's a tricky one to answer. SMBv1 has some fundamental security design issues (according to Microsoft). I think that there's a belief that it's only a matter of time until another SMBv1 vulnerability is discovered and exploited.

Also, every time i upload something to the same USB flash drive, the router's ram usage increases from 15% to 75% and will never drop again unless i reboot, is this normal?
Yes that's normal. It's working as designed.

Assuming that i trust every device in my network, is it still at risk?
It is. Just read BleepingComputer a bit and you will be overwhelmed how much people got infected by ransomware just by copying files over LAN where they "trusted every device".
I was infected in my LAN: it happened with Win8 machine, but Win10 left untouched. Your vulnerability level is a complex set of small and big security factors, but SMB version matters.

Ok guys, thanks.
I don't mind running in SMBv2 since it doesn't give me worse performance with that particular USB flash drive, i was just trying to understand how the malware worked. I also just disabled SMBv1 on my machines for added protection.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!