What's new

Solid Gigabit PoE (or PoE+) Switch with PoE Power Scheduling

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Trip

Very Senior Member
Title pretty much says it all. Looking for a solid gigabit PoE (or PoE+) switch that supports port-based power scheduling. Only need 8 or 16 ports, and only 4 ports of PoE for the foreseeable future. I'd like to stay under the $300 mark. That probably rules out fully-managed big-boy gear, but that stuff is most likely overkill for my use-case.

Example -- a Netgear GS110TP, save its limitation of start and end times having to be within the same 24-hour range (ie. 0000 to 2359) -- which means one could not specify power-off overnight from, say, 10PM to 6AM (2200 to 0600) -- only 2200 to 2359, or 0000 to 0600. But not both. Well done Netgear. *face palm*

The D-Link DGS-1210-10P seems to address this. Not thrilled about D-Link in particular, but I'd go there if no one has anything better to suggest. :)

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Yes, I've thought about replacing PDs with units offering power-off features, or using AC-adapters and outlet timers, but frankly I'd just like to find a switch that can do it if possible.

Last edited:
You could always get ubiquiti or mikrotik POE switches and run scripts on them. If you need more than 4 ports ubiquiti has 24 port POE switches. I know on mikrotik you can use the scheduler but im not sure about power cycling POE on mikrotik. On ubiquiti the scripting is more like on linux and you could probably get around using some debian based utilities and scripts (though not sure about power cycling POE as well).

Thanks SEM -- I've looked at the CRS109/210 and EdgeSwitch 8-150W. This thread seems to indicate a no-go with UBNT (for now). MikroTik seems to be able to do it, per this answer, although it doesn't appear to be an explicit feature as much as a side-effect of just disabling/enabling the port altogether... But I'll keep the CRS models in mind. Thanks for reminding me of those.

Indeed. Surprising how many don't have this feature. And I just realized the CRS's can't do PoE *out*, so that rules them out. Also, this is for a desktop environment, so silence is preferred (no fans, or quiet ones). Here's what I've found so far:

D-Link DGS-1210-10HP - L2, 73W, internal PS, fanless, $135
Zyxel GS2210-8HP - L2+, 180W, internal, fans (53dB), $250
HP 2530 (J9774A) - L3, 67W, external, fanless, sub-$350 ($250-275 eBay)
Cisco SG300-10PP - L3, 62W, internal, fans (43db), $230
Adtran NetVanta 1531p - L3, 65W, internal, fanless, sub-$300 from the right vendors

The 1531p is tempting, but still thinking D-Link for cost savings and L2 is enough for this use case. Decisions... :)

Last edited:
You could always get ubiquiti or mikrotik POE switches and run scripts on them.

Thanks SEM -- I've looked at the CRS109/210 and EdgeSwitch 8-150W. This thread seems to indicate a no-go with UBNT (for now).

I've been having some fun with Vyatta CLI :) and recall I saw this thread.

On EdgeSwitch, the CLI to turn on/off POE per port is already there. The task scheduler is already there as it could schedule to reboot itself. What's lacking is for Ubnt to expose the task scheduler through new CLI. Shall be something quick for them to add in a future firmware update.

Since EdgeSwitch runs SSH daemon, enable auto authentication. With a simple script you can schedule to turn on/off from a local or remote host.

Personally I think this gets the job done well..and wait for a future firmware update to have this feature built-in.

On EdgeSwitch, the CLI to turn on/off POE per port is already there. The task scheduler is already there as it could schedule to reboot itself. What's lacking is for Ubnt to expose the task scheduler through new CLI. Shall be something quick for them to add in a future firmware update.

Since EdgeSwitch runs SSH daemon, enable auto authentication. With a simple script you can schedule to turn on/off from a local or remote host.

UBNT needs to get QA sorted - interesting review from servethehome.com - decent performance, however the review sample had some mechanical/assembly issues...

https://www.servethehome.com/ubiquiti-edgeswitch-es-16-xg-review-quality-control-absent/

You could always get ubiquiti or mikrotik POE switches and run scripts on them. If you need more than 4 ports ubiquiti has 24 port POE switches. I know on mikrotik you can use the scheduler but im not sure about power cycling POE on mikrotik. On ubiquiti the scripting is more like on linux and you could probably get around using some debian based utilities and scripts (though not sure about power cycling POE as well).

One could always do the power stuff - as an alternate approach perhaps would be to implement policy controls on the router itself if one wants to remove access during certain times...

Power cycling, in and of itself, as a policy, will eventually cause HW failures - most network gear like to be kept up 24/7 if possible...

One could always do the power stuff - as an alternate approach perhaps would be to implement policy controls on the router itself if one wants to remove access during certain times...

Power cycling, in and of itself, as a policy, will eventually cause HW failures - most network gear like to be kept up 24/7 if possible...
not true, power cycling is fine when the power source isnt switched off. Infact transistors do wear out from use so powering off extends life and allows it to cool down. Its power cycling too often (like a continuous reboot) that is bad. Its the PSU that has to take the strain when you power cycle but psus last as long as the weakest component before you have to replace it. Most common is the electrolytic capacitor, since thats improved (brands like nichicon) there are other sensitive components in the PSU that relate to voltage regulation that are sensitive. Just like with cables oxidising and wearing out after many years of electrons moving, the same happens for transistors too but it takes many years.

Still would prefer a model with the feature built-in and matured.

For testing, I scored a lightly used 1210-10P Rev A. I'll report back on how it tests out.

XG-16 looks interesting. First batch all sold out? Can't find on Amazon. Or maybe recalled. lol

That Dlink's max power only 78W. Half that of ES-8-150W. For deployment in production, built-in is better. Look forward to test results.

Update - The DGS-1210-10P is pretty good. Lacks CLI/GUI feature parity (only basic-level stuff available from the CLI) but still an overall solid platform for a moderate amount of L2 control with time-based PoE. 78W on the 10P is fine for lighter-duty; for higher draw and/or racks we'll definitely go with the 28P or 52MP.