What's new

Some issues but most bothering is when I asign static IP/MAC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LukeH

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

Posting it here as I'm using Merlin 378.52_2. If not the best place I apologize.
I have a RT-AC56U with Merlin, as I sayed, and successfully installed Debian Arm and a couple of things in chrooted mode: like Transmission.

My main PC is an all-in-one Asus: https://vip.asus.com/VIP2/Product/GetDownloadUrl/?id=ET2300INTI that came with Win8 OEM which I upgraded to 8.1. While things are smooth with my other devices (a laptop with win7, an ipad1 and a couple of LG phones with android, Chromecast) I have major problems with this PC. As I found out there seems to be problems with Win8.1 (like not seeing the 5GHz network which happens to me too) and on the product page there are no divers for it, I also failed to install the latest drivers from Intel site for it's wireless card (the exe won't start and the zipped drivers seem not to update the version I see for my drivers)
Please don't tell me to go to different version of windows cause my child will kill me for the games I already got him from the ms store :) , anyway I know already that and hope for a different solution.

But, the problems are worst if I assign a static IP to the PC instead of using DHCP - and that's why I ask on this forum. With DHCP it works better while still not seeing the 5GHz network (but that's before connecting anyway). With static IP the router config page is unusable even when the internet works well and most of the time I see "offline" instead of the assigned IP in the connected devices list (and while on that state my Chromecast isn't seen by the PC)
Can someone please help me with the general performance issues I have or at last help me with the static IP issue so I can have things running at last with the same performance like when I use DHCP?

Thanks a lot,
Luke

To add a static IP to a device, the static IP HAS to be outside of the DHCP scope. Alternately, you can manually assign an IP address within the scope (as long as it isn't already in use). The page should be under LAN > DHCP Server. Scroll to the bottom of the page..

Why are you trying to give your PC a fixed IP address? By your own description, you're taking a semi-broken Windows installation and breaking it even more, without any purpose.

Unless I'm missing something, this sounds like it's nothing to do with the router and everything to do with your PC.

To add a static IP to a device, the static IP HAS to be outside of the DHCP scope. Alternately, you can manually assign an IP address within the scope (as long as it isn't already in use). The page should be under LAN > DHCP Server. Scroll to the bottom of the page..

I know how to set that, yet I do it from the clients list in the main page: if you click the computer icon there you can write an IP address and there's a lock pictogram there that gives you the same static IP setting as the main DHCP page. And I knew I forgot something: the page you mention is somehow broken to me: when it opens it won't show the left main menu and the Apply button does nothing...maybe this is strictly Merlin related?

Why are you trying to give your PC a fixed IP address? By your own description, you're taking a semi-broken Windows installation and breaking it even more, without any purpose.
Unless I'm missing something, this sounds like it's nothing to do with the router and everything to do with your PC.

I want to use a static address for port forwarding reasons.
I know this has mostly to do with the Windows but why do you say that I "try to broke it even more" by wishing to use a static address?
Yes, it has to do with the PC but I was hoping there is something router related to make static IP work better.

I want to use a static address for port forwarding reasons.
I find that UPnP with DHCP handles all my port forwarding requirements without any issues. Online gaming, torrents, etc. I would suggest you use UPnP instead of manual port forwarding if possible.
I know this has mostly to do with the Windows but why do you say that I "try to broke it even more" by wishing to use a static address?
I was just restating what you said. You describe how your PC doesn't work properly (broken) after you updated to Windows 8.1, whereas all you other devices work fine. Then, without fixing the current problems, you state that by assigning a static IP the PC has more problems (it's more broken).
Yes, it has to do with the PC but I was hoping there is something router related to make static IP work better.
I know how to set that, yet I do it from the clients list in the main page: if you click the computer icon there you can write an IP address and there's a lock pictogram there that gives you the same static IP setting as the main DHCP page. And I knew I forgot something: the page you mention is somehow broken to me: when it opens it won't show the left main menu and the Apply button does nothing...maybe this is strictly Merlin related?
As netwrks said, you should be able to reserve fixed IP address from LAN > DHCP Server. If that page is corrupted then try it from a different PC. If it's still corrupted then it sounds like your router is messed up. Reset it to factory defaults and start again.

Last edited:
I find that UPnP with DHCP handles all my port forwarding requirements without any issues. Online gaming, torrents, etc. I would suggest you use UPnP instead of manual port forwarding if possible.
Hmm...would you care to explain how, this is new to me. I can't find a UPnP page on the router except on USB Aplications where is mentioned with Samba and other servers but I can't see something that would do such a thing. And thanks
EDIT: you mean by any chance Port Trigger?

As netwrks said, you should be able to reserve fixed IP address from LAN > DHCP Server. If that page is corrupted then try it from a different PC. If it's still corrupted then it sounds like your router is messed up. Reset it to factory defaults and start again.
It's corrupted from all devices. Really a factory reset? Shouldn't be with firmware upgrade?

Last edited:

Your reply reminded me that I don't understand the difference between a static IP and a manually-assigned one. I have, in my Network Map, 3 clients with manual IPs and 4 with static. Everything works perfectly but I know I don't have a proper grip on this. Google hasn't been of any use in helping me understand the differences (and any implications). Could I possibly impose on you to expand on your answer a little on the differences and when one is preferred over another?

Hmm...would you care to explain how, this is new to me. I can't find a UPnP page on the router except on USB Aplications where is mentioned with Samba and other servers but I can't see something that would do such a thing. And thanks
EDIT: you mean by any chance Port Trigger?
You don't say what your port forwarding requirements are for this PC so I'm going to assume it's gaming or torrents.

UPnP is under WAN - Internet Connection. Check under Basic Config that Enable UPnP is set to Yes. Then remove any manual port triggers (WAN - Port Trigger) and forwards (Virtual Server / Port Forwarding) that you have created (and disable both functions as you're not using them now) to avoid any conflicts.

Now you can use a DHCP address on your client PC. The application on the PC will ask the UPnP service on the router to create or delete port forwarding rules as it needs them.

Really a factory reset? Shouldn't be with firmware upgrade?
It depends on what version of the firmware you upgraded from. But as a general rule, if your router is not behaving properly and you can't correct it then you should do a factory reset to try to clear the problem.

Same with your PC. You imply that your problems only started when you upgraded it to Windows 8.1. Before that everything was fine? In which case you might have to back up your data and restore the PC to its Window 8.0 OEM version and stick with that.

Thanks a lot. Can I somehow check if UPnP forwarding is working at some point (from console if not from the web page of the router) for an application/port. I'm using a torrent based application which I'm not sure if I can talk about here that doesn't show much settings like if is connectable or not.

You can see the currently active port forwards under System Log - Port Forwarding

Anything using the VUPNP chain has been created by UPnP.

Your reply reminded me that I don't understand the difference between a static IP and a manually-assigned one. I have, in my Network Map, 3 clients with manual IPs and 4 with static. Everything works perfectly but I know I don't have a proper grip on this. Google hasn't been of any use in helping me understand the differences (and any implications). Could I possibly impose on you to expand on your answer a little on the differences and when one is preferred over another?

So, on your router, out of the box your DHCP pool would be 192.168.x.1 to 192.168.x.254 (x being whatever your manufacturer sets third octet as. (the router is typically 192.168.x.1).

- A Dynamic IP address is what your DHCP Server (your router in this case) dynamically assigns to a device from the router DHCP pool. (what ever its algorithm for assignment is).

- A Reserved IP Address (ASUS calls it manually configured) is an IP Address within the router DHCP Pool range that one would RESERVE for a specific device. When it is RESERVED on the router, the DHCP Server will no longer assign / lease that address to any other device in your network. (unless you delete the IP Address assignment / reservation entry for the device).

- A static IP Address is manually configured on a device. It is assigned to a device, outside of the router DHCP Pool range. Example; I change the router DHCP Pool from 192.168.x.1 - 254 to 192.168.x.1 - 192.168.x.100. So, now, your DHCP Pool is 99 IP Addresses (minus 192.168.x.1 for the router).
Now you have a range of 192.168.x.101 - 254 that can be used as STATIC IP Addresses on your network.

IP Address Reservation vs. Static IP Address configuration, is a matter of preference. When I add for example, an Access Point on a network, or, a printer, I like to give these devices a static IP address. (That means I have altered the size of the routers DHCP Pool and picked an address from OUTSIDE the router DHCP Pool range). For laptops, phones, I will Reserve an IP Address (remember IP Reservation is an IP Address that is IN your DHCP Pool range). Six of one.. Half a dozen of another...

@netwrks
I apologize as my terminology was wrong. I meant is behaving worse when I use "reserved ip" configured from router vs "dynamic ip". I didn't try yet to assign a static IP on my PC, yet was thinking about today...but I'm at work now and those are home.
But, in order to use a static ip on the machine, I'll have problems changing the IP pool of the router as that page is corrupted for me. Is that part a must? (I'll try getting the newest Merlin before as I'm using still using the previous)
On another hand, now thinking of it looks more strange to me: why it would work worse with reserved ip compared to dynamic ip as that should be transparent for the pc as long as I didn't configured a staic ip on the pc, right?
Since I changed to dynamic dhcp for that machine I didn't experienced disconnects, slowness loading the router page (except the dhcp page issue) while other sites work well, etc...just the 5GHz net still doesn't work.

@netwrks
I apologize as my terminology was wrong. I meant is behaving worse when I use "reserved ip" configured from router vs "dynamic ip". I didn't try yet to assign a static IP on my PC, yet was thinking about today...but I'm at work now and those are home.
But, in order to use a static ip on the machine, I'll have problems changing the IP pool of the router as that page is corrupted for me. Is that part a must? (I'll try getting the newest Merlin before as I'm using still using the previous)
On another hand, now thinking of it looks more strange to me: why it would work worse with reserved ip compared to dynamic ip as that should be transparent for the pc as long as I didn't configured a staic ip on the pc, right?
Since I changed to dynamic dhcp for that machine I didn't experienced disconnects, slowness loading the router page (except the dhcp page issue) while other sites work well, etc...just the 5GHz net still doesn't work.

The assumption would be your router Firmware works! Reflash the router and start over..

[QUOTE="I'll have problems changing the IP pool of the router as that page is corrupted for me."[/QUOTE]

@LukeH

I had a similar problem at first with pages which did not display correctly.

After some research I found that my AV software (ESET NOD32) was blocking activity from the router's IP address. Adding the router IP address to ESET's white list solved that problem.

I am also running NoScript in FireFox - I also added the router's IP address to NoScript's white list as well.

After I had done both the above, all the router pages displayed perfectly.

I'm not sure if the abover is relevant in your case, but you may like to check the corrupted pages are not caused by something similar.

So, on your router, out of the box your DHCP pool would be 192.168.x.1 to 192.168.x.254 (x being whatever your manufacturer sets third octet as. (the router is typically 192.168.x.1).

- A Dynamic IP address is what your DHCP Server (your router in this case) dynamically assigns to a device from the router DHCP pool. (what ever its algorithm for assignment is).

- A Reserved IP Address (ASUS calls it manually configured) is an IP Address within the router DHCP Pool range that one would RESERVE for a specific device. When it is RESERVED on the router, the DHCP Server will no longer assign / lease that address to any other device in your network. (unless you delete the IP Address assignment / reservation entry for the device).

- A static IP Address is manually configured on a device. It is assigned to a device, outside of the router DHCP Pool range. Example; I change the router DHCP Pool from 192.168.x.1 - 254 to 192.168.x.1 - 192.168.x.100. So, now, your DHCP Pool is 99 IP Addresses (minus 192.168.x.1 for the router).
Now you have a range of 192.168.x.101 - 254 that can be used as STATIC IP Addresses on your network.

IP Address Reservation vs. Static IP Address configuration, is a matter of preference. When I add for example, an Access Point on a network, or, a printer, I like to give these devices a static IP address. (That means I have altered the size of the routers DHCP Pool and picked an address from OUTSIDE the router DHCP Pool range). For laptops, phones, I will Reserve an IP Address (remember IP Reservation is an IP Address that is IN your DHCP Pool range). Six of one.. Half a dozen of another...

Fantastic. Thank you for your excellent explanation. I fully understand now. For some reason, in order to connect them, I had to give static IPs to my 2 Raspberry Pi's (in the relevant .conf file) and I then added those 2 IPs into the list of 10 reserved IPs on my router. So I now understand why those 2 Pi's show up in the Network map as "Static" and the other 8 devices are listed as "Manual". I will go back and tidy that up, now that I have a clear understanding of the difference.

Thank you, again.

Last edited: