What's new

spdMerlin spdMerlin - Automated speedtests with graphs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This is on my AC86U. With high speed connections your results can vary widely depending on what test server you connect to (as seen in my results). I suggest manually trying each server in the list accessed via SSH and spdmerlin option 3 and then set that as your preferred server.

View attachment 26265
Yes I know that - but they do not double. It is not the reason, but thanks - e.g. I was testing same server on router and 2 mins later on my local PC and they showed 2x difference

Not that I know, especially with HND platforms where stuff gets split between multiple processes. Was suggesting testing just to determine if it does make a difference or not.
If I am perfectly honest - it looks that AX88U CPU affinity totally sucks. At least when combined with Ookla CLI
  • taskset with same cp number can max a different core looking at WebUI each time.
  • best"speed" below was achieved when it loaded two CPUs 30% and then switched to another 100%
Here are runs from AX88U cmd line, followed by CLI runs from my PC (over WiFi) for comparison.
Code:
#  ./speedtest -s32944

Speedtest by Ookla

Server: Cerberus Networks Ltd - London (id = 32944)
        ISP: BT
    Latency:     4.12 ms   (1.20 ms jitter)
   Download:   405.59 Mbps (data used: 365.0 MB)
     Upload:   110.27 Mbps (data used: 49.7 MB)
Packet Loss:     0.0%

#  ./speedtest -s32944

Speedtest by Ookla

Latency:     5.03 ms   (0.25 ms jitter)
   Download:   375.39 Mbps (data used: 377.0 MB)

# taskset -cp 0 ./speedtest -s32944

Speedtest by Ookla

Latency:     4.79 ms   (0.57 ms jitter)
   Download:   378.41 Mbps (data used: 362.0 MB)
     Upload:   110.23 Mbps (data used: 49.9 MB)

# taskset -cp 1 ./speedtest -s32944

Speedtest by Ookla

Latency:     5.13 ms   (0.15 ms jitter)
   Download:   380.44 Mbps (data used: 303.5 MB)
     Upload:   110.28 Mbps (data used: 49.9 MB)

# taskset -cp 2 ./speedtest -s32944

Speedtest by Ookla

Latency:     4.93 ms   (0.18 ms jitter)
   Download:   378.19 Mbps (data used: 231.4 MB)
     Upload:   110.24 Mbps (data used: 51.0 MB)

# taskset -cp 3 ./speedtest -s32944

Speedtest by Ookla

Latency:     6.93 ms   (0.71 ms jitter)
   Download:   413.22 Mbps (data used: 356.7 MB)
     Upload:   110.30 Mbps (data used: 49.7 MB)

Speedtest by Ookla

Latency:     5.04 ms   (0.20 ms jitter)
   Download:   380.44 Mbps (data used: 313.5 MB)
     Upload:   110.28 Mbps (data used: 51.0 MB)

Speedtest by Ookla

Latency:     5.11 ms   (0.08 ms jitter)
   Download:   404.75 Mbps (data used: 299.2 MB)

Speedtest by Ookla

Latency:     5.22 ms   (0.03 ms jitter)
   Download:   380.74 Mbps (data used: 303.9 MB)
     Upload:   110.29 Mbps (data used: 49.9 MB)

# taskset -cp 2 ./speedtest -s32944

Speedtest by Ookla

Latency:     5.11 ms   (0.13 ms jitter)
   Download:   380.69 Mbps (data used: 294.5 MB)
     Upload:   110.26 Mbps (data used: 49.7 MB)

# taskset -cp 0 ./speedtest -s32944

Speedtest by Ookla

Latency:     5.11 ms   (0.08 ms jitter)
   Download:   380.02 Mbps (data used: 432.1 MB)
     Upload:   110.28 Mbps (data used: 49.7 MB)

# taskset -cp 1 ./speedtest -s32944

Speedtest by Ookla

Latency:     5.11 ms   (0.19 ms jitter)
   Download:   411.94 Mbps (data used: 308.9 MB)
     Upload:   110.29 Mbps (data used: 49.6 MB)

My local PC
Code:
>speedtest -s32944

Speedtest by Ookla

Latency:     6.28 ms   (0.45 ms jitter)
   Download:   884.71 Mbps (data used: 1.0 GB)
     Upload:   111.18 Mbps (data used: 85.0 MB)
Packet Loss:     0.7%

>speedtest -s32944

Speedtest by Ookla

Latency:     5.15 ms   (0.25 ms jitter)
   Download:   855.12 Mbps (data used: 855.8 MB)
     Upload:   111.08 Mbps (data used: 55.8 MB)

>speedtest -s32944

Speedtest by Ookla

Latency:     5.24 ms   (1.02 ms jitter)
   Download:   882.83 Mbps (data used: 972.6 MB)
     Upload:   111.08 Mbps (data used: 55.8 MB)

>speedtest -s32944

Speedtest by Ookla

Latency:     5.30 ms   (0.76 ms jitter)
   Download:   707.57 Mbps (data used: 850.2 MB)
     Upload:   111.14 Mbps (data used: 56.9 MB)

>speedtest -s32944

Speedtest by Ookla

Latency:     6.39 ms   (0.20 ms jitter)
   Download:   718.29 Mbps (data used: 988.5 MB)
     Upload:   111.15 Mbps (data used: 81.9 MB)
Packet Loss:     0.5%

>speedtest -s32944

Speedtest by Ookla

Latency:     6.07 ms   (0.71 ms jitter)
   Download:   865.40 Mbps (data used: 1.1 GB)
     Upload:   111.14 Mbps (data used: 54.3 MB)
Packet Loss:     1.2%

>speedtest -s32944

Speedtest by Ookla

Latency:     6.05 ms   (0.55 ms jitter)
   Download:   780.65 Mbps (data used: 950.7 MB)
     Upload:   111.11 Mbps (data used: 88.5 MB)

>speedtest -s32944

Speedtest by Ookla

Latency:     6.39 ms   (0.14 ms jitter)
   Download:   843.59 Mbps (data used: 1.1 GB)
     Upload:   111.15 Mbps (data used: 79.2 MB)
Packet Loss:     0.6%

This is on my AC86U. With high speed connections your results can vary widely depending on what test server you connect to (as seen in my results). I suggest manually trying each server in the list accessed via SSH and spdmerlin option 3 and then set that as your preferred server.

View attachment 26265
It sounds as AX88U "feature" that AC86U does not suffer from.
What is CPU utlisation on WebUI when you got 800+ speed?

It sounds as AX88U "feature" that AC86U does not suffer from.
What is CPU utlisation on WebUI when you got 800+ speed?

1600272191485.png

1600272197833.png

In my AX88U with a connection of 1000MB download and 100MB upload give me a speed close to 100Mb upload but 500MB of download with spdMerlin, but with brower the speed shows the 1000/100MB

In my AX88U with a connection of 1000MB download and 100MB upload give me a speed close to 100Mb upload but 500MB of download with spdMerlin, but with brower the speed shows the 1000/100MB
From first post and numerous replies within this thread...

spdMerlin uses SpeedTest CLI
If the speeds from this utility are significantly lower than those you see from the desktop app/browser test, the limiting factor will be your router's CPU. That being said, there is probably room for improvement/optimisation by the Ookla team in the CLI binary itself. Please direct feedback about speed issues to Ookla via the above link. There is nothing that I can do about them.

If the speeds from this utility are significantly lower than those you see from the desktop app/browser test, the limiting factor will be your router's CPU. That being said, there is probably room for improvement/optimisation by the Ookla team in the CLI binary itself. Please direct feedback about speed issues to Ookla via the above link. There is nothing that I can do about them.
Reported, Thank you

Hi Jack, guys....

I need to uninstall and reinstall all AMTM hosted scripts. Will copying /opt/share/spdmerlin.d and conmon.d somewhere and restoring them after reinstall preserve the configuration and stats for those two? Looks like it. Any caveats?
Thanks!

Installed some entware yesterday. Connmon and NTPd seem to have run properly over the past day, but spdMerlin hasn't done anything. I set it to run on the 1st minute of every hour, but it didn't run anything over the previous day. It looks like it only ran one test at 00:01. I tried running a manual test from the spdMerlin menu and got this error. The cmd line stopped moving after that. I had to use ctrl+c to get back control.

Code:
[error] Error: [11] Cannot read: Resource temporarily unavailable

Any thoughts?

EDIT: After a bit more experimentation I have found that this error only occurs when I try to run a test with a preferred server for my WAN connection. Automatic or manual, tests do not work if a preferred server is attempted. I'm not sure why this would be the case.

Last edited:

I have reported to SpeedTest CLI support too. However, I am not entirely convinced this just Ookla issue. Do we really believe Ookla tests their CLI on all possible routers?
I can easily imagine a situation this is purely AX88U issue.
Key question is why SpeedTest CLI does not distribute workload on four AX88U CPUs?
What is so different about AX88U hardware/software? Presumably same CLI source code once compiled and deployed behaves differently on AC86U and on Windows machine as opposed to AX88U. On the first two it distributes load on many processors resulting in 850Mbs speeds. Perhaps @RMerlin has some suggestions...
As it stands spdMerlin / Ookla CLI is pretty useless to me and I have deleted it from my router.

I have reported to SpeedTest CLI support too. However, I am not entirely convinced this just Ookla issue. Do we really believe Ookla tests their CLI on all possible routers?
Key question is why SpeedTest CLI does not distribute workload on four AX88U CPUs?
What is so different about AX88U hardware/software? Presumably same CLI source code once compiled and deployed behaves differently on AC86U and on Windows machine as opposed to AX88U. On the first two it distributes load on many processors resulting in 850Mbs speeds. Perhaps @RMerlin has some suggestions...
As it stands spdMerlin / Ookla CLI is pretty useless to me and I have deleted it from my router.
New 386 firmware coming will have speedtest built into it so this conversation will be for naught in the future.

New 386 firmware coming will have speedtest built into it so this conversation will be for naught in the future.
That is a fair point, though this will be a while before it is available and this speedtest might have same feature on AX88U, right?:)

:)
as far as i know theyre using the same Ookla cli binary. I hope Asus are ready for all the inane questions I get on speeds not matching desktop speeds...
Happy to be the first one to ask them. Perhaps that's why 386 is still not avail for AX88U

Im not sure if this helps (or hurts) the discussion, but I have an AX88U and can see that during a full speedtest run, it moves between processors during the test.

I used Entwares procps-ng-ps and pgrep to watch what core/processor a single run of the speedtest application was running on.

ps -o pid,psr,comm -p $(pgrep -x speedtest)

It showed that it essentially ran on all 4 at one point or another:

PID PSR COMMAND
15522 2 speedtest
PID PSR COMMAND
15522 3 speedtest
PID PSR COMMAND
15522 3 speedtest
PID PSR COMMAND
15522 2 speedtest
PID PSR COMMAND
15522 2 speedtest
PID PSR COMMAND
15522 2 speedtest
PID PSR COMMAND
15522 3 speedtest
PID PSR COMMAND
15522 3 speedtest
PID PSR COMMAND
15522 2 speedtest
PID PSR COMMAND
15522 2 speedtest
PID PSR COMMAND
15522 2 speedtest
PID PSR COMMAND
15522 3 speedtest
PID PSR COMMAND
15522 3 speedtest
PID PSR COMMAND
15522 2 speedtest
PID PSR COMMAND
15522 2 speedtest
PID PSR COMMAND
15522 2 speedtest
PID PSR COMMAND
15522 0 speedtest
PID PSR COMMAND
15522 2 speedtest
PID PSR COMMAND
15522 2 speedtest
PID PSR COMMAND
15522 1 speedtest
PID PSR COMMAND
15522 2 speedtest
PID PSR COMMAND
15522 3 speedtest

I run unbound with 2 threads. It showed a similar processor distribution.
I believe what we really want is a multi-threaded speedtest binary.

ps: Im not sure how to see what app thread is running on a core/processor.

Are there any general suggestions as to how to re-enable the gui graph section if it goes missing? Not sure what caused it but the entire Addons-tab disappeared around the time I installed Unbound Manager. I also can no longer find uiDivStats, but it could be that I forgot which sub tab of a tab it's reported (I did check most of them tho).

Edit: looking at logs it seems there's a problem syncing with ntp. Checking ntpMerlin it appears to bump into a lock file whatever option I try to run. Not sure why that would remove the tab from the gui tho. Anyway, when I tried a reinstall, I got a bunch of errors, looked like some missing lines of code during uninstallation, and at reinstall I got a bunch of ``SQLite header and source version mismatch`` errors, followed by ``dos2unix: can't open '/jffs/addons/ntpmerlin.d/csv/*.htm': No such file or directory`` and ``cp: can't stat '/jffs/addons/ntpmerlin.d/csv/*.htm': No such file or directory``. (I assume I was able to replicate the error messages by running the "Generate updated ntpMerlin graphs now" script in amtm, since the errors looked awfully similar (the ones that popped up during install got cleared very quickly).) I'll check syslog later to verify that spdMerlin still gets ntp problems.

Edit 2: Look at that, addons tab is back. Presumably I'm gonna need to solve those errors that popped up in ntpMerlin tho? Reinstall the SQLite database file? But how?

My uiDivStats is missings as well. I think it was in the "Addons" section. I rebooted my router and still not there. I came here because my spdMerlin tab was missing too but the reboot solved that.

Diversion and uiDivStats are at the back of the LAN tab.

@Jack Yaz hey there. so i was wondering if its possible to add fast.com as an alternate source? . im usually fine with speedtest.net but my new isp has this throttle step thingy where at the start it caps my download to 10mb then after 5 seconds itll go to 20mb and my package which is 50mbps. i can't use speedtest.net since it finishes before the speed reaches the top possible.. although fast.com seems to be whitelisted by this throttle step .. anyways i found out that there are ways to do it in linux etc. I found one with node.js. tried it just now on my ac86u . It all installs fine. But it errors out because it can't launch chrome . So idk.

Last edited: